Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Fried/grilled chicken thighs. Carrot, beetroot, apple and ginger slaw. Grilled cherry tomatoes. Jerusalem artichoke and potato mash with leeks and garlic. White wine chicken jus.

That slaw sound delicious, is the recipe on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Animord wrote: »
    That slaw sound delicious, is the recipe on here?

Not yet.

Grate a medium sized beetroot, 2 medium carrots and 2 small eating apples coarsely. Finely grate a thumb sized piece of ginger.
    Combine in a large bowl with the juice of half a lemon, a couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard, a small teaspoon of honey and salt and pepper and mix well.
    I put the apple straight into the lemon juice to stop it going brown.
    I think I also used a dash of apple balsamic vinegar from Lidl which is quite sweet.

You can really play around with flavours in slaw like this.
    Different mustards, horseraddish, wasabi, various vinegars and oils, spices and of course using different veg (fennel, jerusalem artichoke, cabbage all work well too) will give variety. I don't like my slaws creamy but if you do, you can add plain yoghurt, creme fresh or mayonnaise.

Not yet.

Grate a medium sized beetroot, 2 medium carrots and 2 small eating apples coarsely. Finely grate a thumb sized piece of ginger.
    Combine in a large bowl with the juice of half a lemon, a couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard, a small teaspoon of honey and salt and pepper and mix well.
    I put the apple straight into the lemon juice to stop it going brown.
    I think I also used a dash of apple balsamic vinegar from Lidl which is quite sweet.

You can really play around with flavours in slaw like this.
    Different mustards, horseraddish, wasabi, various vinegars and oils, spices and of course using different veg (fennel, jerusalem artichoke, cabbage all work well too) will give variety. I don't like my slaws creamy but if you do, you can add plain yoghurt, creme fresh or mayonnaise.

Thanks very much! Is the beetroot raw or do you use cooked ones? Sorry if that is a daft question!

Animord wrote: »
    Thanks very much! Is the beetroot raw or do you use cooked ones? Sorry if that is a daft question!

Raw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Raw

You should start a slaw blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi beer,

(must be time for my weekly recipe request!)

Would you mind telling me how you made the "White wine chicken jus" ?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Is namaste open again?! That's our local Indian (thankfully, cos is blooming delicious) but last time we tried to order it had closed down! You'll actually brighten up my week if you tell me it's open again :D I love Indian food but even trying to make the most basic of Indian dishes well eludes me :( have been going to Diwali on George's st instead but they don't do a take away.

Sorry I don't know - apologies for the emotional rollercoaster! It's probably over 6 months since I had Indian food from Namaste. Only allowed 1 takeaway per month here and we've been going with Camile Thai in phibsboro mainly because of their satay chicken skewers.
    You've got to give the Aldi Specially Selected Indian sauces a try. Foolproof deliciousness!

Edit: It seems to be open again from their facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Namaste-india-dublin/112511998817360

Loire wrote: »
    Hi beer,

(must be time for my weekly recipe request!)

Would you mind telling me how you made the "White wine chicken jus" ?

Thanks,
    Loire.

That particular jus had a crazy history.
    For the laugh I'll tell you.
    I made a brown chicken stock before Christmas.
    I poached the turkey crown in this stock.
    I did a roast shoulder of pork and made a gravy with the juices, mustard and some of the stock and probably a few other bits.
    The leftover gravy got made into a sauce for duck breasts that included Kriek sour cherry beer, honey, star anise and ginger.
    This leftover sauce was put in the pan with the chicken thighs and some white wine added.
    Simple really.:rolleyes:

But what I usually do is a bit simpler.
    I cook the thighs bone side down in a hot pan for about 10 minutes.
    Drain off the fat that has been released, add a good glug of wine or beer and cook the thighs under the grill. Pour the jus into a separator and serve.

I often put some fresh thyme and/or some lemon zest under the chicken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I made a brown chicken stock before Christmas.
    I poached the turkey crown in this stock.
    I did a roast shoulder of pork and made a gravy with the juices, mustard and some of the stock and probably a few other bits.
    The leftover gravy got made into a sauce for duck breasts that included Kriek sour cherry beer, honey, star anise and ginger.
    This leftover sauce was put in the pan with the chicken thighs and some white wine added.

It's almost like creating a master stock in Chinese cooking.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's almost like creating a master stock in Chinese cooking.

I still have a bit of last nights jus left over so it will live on if I remember to use it!

• Advertisement

I still have a bit of last nights jus left over so it will live on if I remember to use it!

Let's see if it lives on 'til next Christmas. Now THAT should be interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi all, bit of an emotional one yesterday as an ugly old eating problem reared it's head as it does every do often since I told it to feck off in my teens.

Skipped breakfast, lunch and was starving. I thought I would just have salmon and potato and veg for dinner, then it became just salmon and lettuce, and then I decided I'd eat the salmon alone and eventually after getting weepy on my way home, thought I would be better going to bed without anything.

Just as I was getting off the bus I opened this thread on my phone, and the thought that everyone here celebrates the food people eat was so comforting!

Got home, took out my veg, salmon & some noodles, made myself a nice huge plate of it and ate every last bit. Hate days like that but it comes right in the end and you feel like a right wally but oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Musefan wrote: »
    Hi all, bit of an emotional one yesterday as an ugly old eating problem reared it's head as it does every do often since I told it to feck off in my teens.

Skipped breakfast, lunch and was starving. I thought I would just have salmon and potato and veg for dinner, then it became just salmon and lettuce, and then I decided I'd eat the salmon alone and eventually after getting weepy on my way home, thought I would be better going to bed without anything.

Just as I was getting off the bus I opened this thread on my phone, and the thought that everyone here celebrates the food people eat was so comforting!

Got home, took out my veg, salmon & some noodles, made myself a nice huge plate of it and ate every last bit. Hate days like that but it comes right in the end and you feel like a right wally but oh well...

Hope you're alright.
    Your dinner looks gorgeous..so colourful and comforting.
    Well done on eating every last bit!
    This thread really inspires me to cook-more so now than I ever felt and I love that we're all so experimental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I had a courgette and a chicken breast plus a few staples. Close to ordering the take away but glad I didn't. Simple but lovely and healthy I guess

DM3OvSRl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hope you're feeling better!

There's a reason this is one of my favourite threads.

I had left overs and then pancakes with maple syrup.

There has to be some reward for a staying in, alcohol free Friday surely?

Sadly there is some batter left over so I may just have to have them again tomorrow. :p

Tonight was (not my best) Kung Pao Chicken. I ran out of whole dried chillies which would've given the dish its "KAPOWW!", so had to settle with a sprinkle of chilli flakes.

KungPao_zpsd94ad728.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Good post, and that looks very tasty!

My trick is to always carry a loose curry in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fried/grilled chicken thighs. Carrot, beetroot, apple and ginger slaw. Grilled cherry tomatoes. Jerusalem artichoke and potato mash with leeks and garlic. White wine chicken jus.

Very nice. What are you shooting your pics with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had salmon en croute, mashed potatoes and spinach wilted in cream and butter.

The spinach and spuds were lovely but I wasn't a fan of the salmon. I wouldn't be a huge fan of fish anyway but this really pushed my limits and its not something I'd try again, I much prefer salmon either grilled/pan fried/baked with lemon juice, salt, pepper and chilli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

Had homemade burgers on crusty baps with salad and coleslaw washed down with a few beers. So much for the new years resolutions:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Is namaste open again?! That's our local Indian (thankfully, cos is blooming delicious) but last time we tried to order it had closed down! You'll actually brighten up my week if you tell me it's open again :D I love Indian food but even trying to make the most basic of Indian dishes well eludes me :( have been going to Diwali on George's st instead but they don't do a take away.

Some good news for you, Diwali do take away, I've had it lots of times, delicious it is too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Veil Snitchzel (sp) salad and baby potatoes, with a hint of lemon dressing delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My favourite meal at the moment: Laoganma fried rice.

PzRyfcK.jpg

So very tasty and spicy and delicious :) .

I made a lovely meal (if I do say so myself). Starters was chestnut and wild mushroom soup (Nevin Maguire) and for mains it was roasted salmon sitting on wilted spinach & sauteed leeks. Served with roasties. Mrs Loire made choc-chip cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we're having striploin steaks, roast baby potatoes and some steamed tenderstem broccoli.

Can't wait for it :)

Aidric wrote: »
    Very nice. What are you shooting your pics with?

It's a Sony NEX5N with an old Nikon 50mm lens on the front.

Did oven baked buffalo wings last night but was too hungry to take a pic before eating.
    I think it's fair to say that Mrs Beer enjoyed her wings!
    We had the previous nights slaw and potato and artichoke mash with them.
    The addition of grated onion, tamarind extract and a bit of sugar really does bring the Frank's hotsauce and butter marriage to another level.

7TqxR7.jpg

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight we're having striploin steaks, roast baby potatoes and some steamed tenderstem broccoli.

Can't wait for it :)

Two vital pieces of information missing.....

WHEN and WHERE ? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Irish Stew last night; my Dad's recipe.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, as always, and it was perfect food to line the tummy before a night on the booze.

It tasted even nicer for lunch today.

wmi5cj.jpg

• Advertisement

Picture perfect Fussy - just want to jump right in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement