Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Wholewheat penne with chicken, broccoli, feta and green pesto. OMFG. Salty, satisfying, carby goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Getting ready to put together some chorizo and feta stuffed squid and rice pilaf, and chancing my arm with whipped cream and lemon curd stuffed brandy snaps for after. Never done the latter before so it could be a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we will have cottage pie with plenty of cheese melted on top. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Homemade ratatouille which looks so pretty but can't upload a photo yet, baked salmon & spinach on the menu tonight

Tonight we will have cottage pie with plenty of cheese melted on top. :)
    So it seems we won't be having this after all, I wasn't "allowed" put anything other than salt, pepper, dried herbs and bisto in to it so it has absolutely zero flavour.

It tastes like beef boiled in water.

Complete waste of my time bothering to cook for fusspots who I know are going to complain left, right and centre about this having no flavour...........

This is the very reason why I despise cooking when others are in the kitchen with me, drives me bananas. Grrrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Roast chicken with stuffing, asparagus and potatoes. Lashings of gravy and red wine.

Very simple but delicious considering it's been weeks since I've had a roast, and lunch had been eight hours earlier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Poached eggs on toast with some left over chilli. Perfect for a very lazy Sunday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

When I was a child my mother sometimes gave me steak that was like a leather soled shoe, so believing I didn't like steak I never ate it again!

But cooked it for the first time ever tonight! My boyfriend's not a big steak eater either. Was a bit nervous about getting the cooking time right, was aiming for medium but when we cut in it was definitely rare, which was delicious! We both loved it :) Had some garlic herb butter on top, and used padraig Mor's chip method for the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Peach those chips look AMAZING. I'd prefer my steak to be a bit more done but still looks impressive! Well done! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When I was a child my mother sometimes gave me steak that was like a leather soled shoe, so believing I didn't like steak I never ate it again!

I had this discussion with some cousins of mine recently. The amount of food that I thought I didn't like when growing up is ridiculous.
    Now my mother wasn't that bad of cook but there were certain things that she'd cook the life out of resulting in it being inedible. Stuff like steak and always veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Roast chicken,roast potatoes,stuffing,carrots,peas and gravy.
    Stewed apple,custard and toffee sauce.
    I'm now in bed with a severe tummy ache! Ate way too much! But twas feckin lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

But cooked it for the first time ever tonight! My boyfriend's not a big steak eater either. Was a bit nervous about getting the cooking time right, was aiming for medium but when we cut in it was definitely rare, which was delicious! We both loved it :) Had some garlic herb butter on top, and used padraig Mor's chip method for the side.

Padraig Mor's chips?
    I need to know more!!

After some deliberating myself and my boyfriend went to Tesco and got some mince, mushrooms, red wine and a jar of sauce and end up with the nicest, most flavourful pasta I think we've ever made. It was absolutely scrumptious, there's some left over for dinner tomorrow too. Nom nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Lazy post-run supper of roast chicken breast, which I'd had marinating in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary, with roast baby spuds and lots of peas. Simple but yummy. I devoured it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Wow Peach, fair play to you for someone who thought they never liked steak to loving them rare at first attempt cooking. It took me years to go from well done to medium well to medium and loving it at medium rare.
    They look yummy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I live such a sheltered life. Such 'fancy' sounding dishes here. How did ye all get so great/adventurous with cooking?! I have chicken stir fry in soy sauce and rice a fair bit. Would love to try some different things.

I aim to try a new recipe every payday - thats every month for me - I pick something l like the sound of, get the various ingredients, herbs and spices and whatnot, and try it out exactly as the recipe states. Then if I like it, I might tweak it to my taste the next time if it needs it.

After 6 months or so, you'll usually build up a stock of the occasional-use things in your storecupboard like sesame oil, duck fat, mustards or the like, and your ingredients list gets cheaper. And you'll have a recipe list to inspire you for dinners.

If its something that can be cooked in bulk and portioned to freeze, even better for me - it works out cheaper to eat this way, and I still get home cooked food on my lazy days.

I made a chicken Korma using the Aldi Specially Selected jar. Just grand. Not a patch on the Tikka Masala!! Have the Balti and Dopiaza to try next, hope they're much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I made a chicken Korma using the Aldi Specially Selected jar. Just grand. Not a patch on the Tikka Masala!! Have the Balti and Dopiaza to try next, hope they're much better.

I don't like the Korma and Tikka Masala ones anyway cos not mad on creamy sauces. I love the Balti one, not too keen on Dopioza though. I always get either Balti, Madras or Rogan Josh. Doing a shop there this evening actually, so have to stock up :)

I don't do a "big" shop that often, I just cook for myself so most of the time I pick up bits as I need them. I'll go to Aldi once every 2-3 weeks for a big shop though and I get really excited about them :o It's gonna be the highlight of my Monday!

/loser

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Two small courses last night.

Pan fried hake with tomato and basil.
    BBQd striploins with red savoury rice and rocket.

7UbzqR.jpg

7p6rua.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

with red savoury rice and rocket.

Tell me more about this red savoury rice?!

• Advertisement

I don't like the Korma and Tikka Masala ones anyway cos not mad on creamy sauces. I love the Balti one, not too keen on Dopioza though. I always get either Balti, Madras or Rogan Josh. Doing a shop there this evening actually, so have to stock up :)

I don't do a "big" shop that often, I just cook for myself so most of the time I pick up bits as I need them. I'll go to Aldi once every 2-3 weeks for a big shop though and I get really excited about them :o It's gonna be the highlight of my Monday!

/loser

The creamy sauces are my fave, God I love them!

Tell me more about this red savoury rice?!

The rice is red cargo rice (from Asian shop).
    You could also use French Camargue rice.

I fried up some diced beetroot, carrot, shallot, celery and garlic.
    Added some thyme and winter savoury (herb) and some tomato sauce I had along with the seeds and innards from the tomato salad, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of chilli flakes.
    When the veg was cooked, I added the cooked rice and some chopped flat leaf parsley.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Getting ready to put together some chorizo and feta stuffed squid and rice pilaf, and chancing my arm with whipped cream and lemon curd stuffed brandy snaps for after. Never done the latter before so it could be a disaster!
    One thing I hate about recipes sourced online... bad measurements :p . The rice pilaf was a bit bland since I am pretty definite in hindsight it meant the cooked weight but never actually mentioned it, and it looked a bit messy since I had to substitute cream cheese in for feta (since someone had used it in the hours between my going shopping and starting cooking... rage!!) so it all looked pretty messy but tasted OK.

Didnt get around to the brandy snaps until today because the golf completely hooked me in, but I think I made a decent go of it for a first effort (and first time using a piping bag). Cream could have been a bit fluffier (but held together well), if anyone else is trying this a word of advise: try over whipping the cream since when you add the curd it liquefies a bit more again, even if the curd is thick. It is also probably best to put the lemon curd in the freezer for a five or six hours, then move to the fridge since it sets much better that way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Billy86 wrote: »

Didnt get around to the brandy snaps until today because the golf completely hooked me in, but I think I made a decent go of it for a first effort (and first time using a piping bag). Cream could have been a bit fluffier (but held together well), if anyone else is trying this a word of advise: try over whipping the cream since when you add the curd it liquefies a bit more again, even if the curd is thick. It is also probably best to put the lemon curd in the freezer for a five or six hours, then move to the fridge since it sets much better that way.

OMG this looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chicken thighs, with rice salad and a cucumber and yoghurt salady thing.

318057.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Snap! Chicken thighs with cucumber, tomato & scallion salad with chilli, salt & lime juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

We had chicken satay with noodles and stir fried veg. Marinated the chicken overnight so it was really tender, and the noodles tasted so like a takeaway, success!

Yeast bread pasty filled with Onions, red pepper, garlic, chicken, little tomato herbs and saffron.
    An Empanada, maybe?

7KxLzv.jpg

northgirl wrote: »
    OMG this looks amazing!
    Cheers! :)

They are actually surprisingly easy to make.
    50g butter
    50g brown sugar (I used caster which worked out fine but most recipes recommend demerara for a darker colour)
    50g golden syrup
    50g plain flour

Put the butter, syrup and sugar in a small pot on low/med and stir for 10-15 mins. When the butter is fully dissolved let it cool down a good bit, but not enough to resolidify. Add the flour and mix again (not over heat, if the flour cooks you need to start over), put in a bowl and pop in a bowl in the fridge for at least an hour. You can add a squirt of lemon juice for a lighter taste or a shot of brandy for a richer taste before putting in the fridge if you like also.

Put a sheet of undressed parchment paper on a baking tray and preheat to 180. When ready, put a little less than a teaspoon down just inside all four corners and leave for 8-10 minutes until golden, a little brown on the sides, and bubbling. Leave space between them, probably best to do a test run with a single one in the middle first to get an idea, because these things spread out a lot.

Take them out, leave on the hot baking tray or they will set too fast. After 20-30 seconds they will be set just enough to carefully lift them. For a basket, just wrap around an upside down glass, shape and leave for 3 mins or so to finish setting... be warned, you will probably singe your hands a bit since this is basically boiling butter and sugar!

For the cigars, act a bit quicker and LOOSELY around a wooden spoon. I found it was easier to wrap them as I was lifting them off the sheet. Leave 5-10 mins to set. I say loosely because if they stick hard to the spoon you'll have a nightmare getting then off, also be careful to not shape them around anything with grooves, curves or bends since they are very fragile and you need to slide them off gently after they set.

The mix keeps a few days, when you cook them they stay crisp for 2 or 3 days so you can do extra in advance, but when you add the mix (particularly with the baskets) they will lose their crunch after and hour or two, so that is only done at the end.

---

The curd is actually the trickiest bit I reckon, mix 5 egg yolks, 125ml lemon juice and 80g of butter in a bowl and put on a double boiler on low/med heat for 10 mins or so... keep stirring or the yolks will cook too much, this should look like hollandaise, e.g. thickened just a bit. When done, sieve it into a cold bowl (just in case there are any lumps) and pop in the freezer for 4 or 5 hours to get very thick and set, then move to the fridge. If it hasn't set enough (mine didn't first time!) put back on the heat a few more mins, sieve again to a new bowl and back in the freezer a few more hours.

---

For the cream, just beat double/heavy cream until almost firm, add 2tbsp sugar per 230ml carton of cream, and maybe a tsp of vanilla if you have it, and continue beating until very firm, them put in the fridge. Icing sugar works best since there are no crunchy grains/granules.

---

Mix the curd and cream so you have about 80% cream or even a little more and put in a piping bag (you can get 6 for €3 in m&s, I also saw 4 for €2.50 in Tesco), pack it all down at the bottom of the bag, place in the nozzle then cut the end of the bag off with a scissors. Tilt a cigar downwards and gently squeeze in from the top end. Baskets are handier if you can find piping bags, you can just spoon it in. Don't overfill baskets or they will fall apart when you try to eat them... they are firm and crispy but EXTREMELY thin.

Chop up some berries to serve with and if you want to look fancy, sieve a little bit of icing sugar on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I've an awful flu so made a gypsy/ toddlers dinner. Mashed baby carrots, roast chicken, spuds and hp sauce all into one big plate of goo. It was actually rather enjoyable!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement