Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hope you feel better v. rapido Kablamo. Flu is the DIVIL.

Last nights dinner was carbonara (with peas! Beautiful, not really supposed to be in there, peas)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Needed some comfort, so had spicy Mac n cheese with lardons and peas. Leftovers tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Hope you feel better v. rapido Kablamo. Flu is the DIVIL.

Last nights dinner was carbonara (with peas! Beautiful, not really supposed to be in there, peas)

Readymade :rolleyes: (M&S) chicken & leek crispbake & lots of peas with lashings of black pepper. Peas = best freezer standby ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fat laura

koftas, Spiced flat bread, couscous with chilli and mint and tzaiki.

I can't attach pictures. But sure you can used your imagination. Twas yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Last night i had the last of Sunday's chicken, chirizo and chickpea stew with fried potatoes....a lovely, quick and comforting dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tonight I had Chilli salted squid (muc rang muoi) as I really wanted a Chinese but didn't want the guilt of it(or the cost of it, or the MSG in it!!)
    Fried up some prawn crackers too, so much nicer when they're made fresh.
    Delicious, definitely making it again, except maybe a little less chilli next time *breathes fire*
    G12XUtnl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

We had a nibbles for dinner.... Brie, olives, crackers, all things pickled, mixed nuts, salami,

Bold, satisfying.

That diet plan can wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fritatta, Brazilian cheese bread, eton mess, birthday cake. Belly still SO full.

1b706e83-50b7-41de-b7cb-5bf97e85ad19_zps983bcf0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made chicken and rice. It is chicken mixed with rice. I really really like it.
    Also, for lunch today I have chicken and rice and salad.

I do roast the chicken with tons of salt and pepper so the skin gets all crispy. chop it all up with the skin included, scrape the lovely chicken bits from the pan and add them, and then stir it all up with rice. Add a bit of soy and it is the best low effort dinner. If you can get the organic chicken portions for Dunnes (I haven't seen them since leaving tralee:(), they are the best i've found for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Was going to make some of that today or tomorrow as well. :D

Try adding some frozen of shopped veg and diced rashers (the really cheap stuff from lidl/aldi/Tesco is grand), mixes really well with it. If you want, lob it all into a big frying pan or wok at the end together at the end with a few guys of oil and about an egg for every two servings and stir it around a lot, and you've pretty much got fried rice! So cheap, so easy and so tasty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ooh brandy baskets! I havent done my brown bread icecream in brandy baskets for aaaages. Possibly years!

Must correct this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bought some fresh plaice fillets in Dunnes earlier. I never knew but they have this really neat thing where they put it in a sealable over bag and then they can top the fish off with your choice of garlic and herb crust or tomato and basil, couple of other choices too. They seal up the bag and you put it in the over for 15-18 mins or you can do it in a microwave if you want.

I'm looking forward to trying this later now, it's a very convenient way to cook fish with no clean up and if the topping they put on is nice then it'll be a winner

Neyite wrote: »
    ooh brandy baskets! I havent done my brown bread icecream in brandy baskets for aaaages. Possibly years!

Must correct this.

Brown bread ice-cream, never had it but would love to try it, do you need an ice-cream maker?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bought some fresh plaice fillets in Dunnes earlier. I never knew but they have this really neat thing where they put it in a sealable over bag and then they can top the fish off with your choice of garlic and herb crust or tomato and basil, couple of other choices too. They seal up the bag and you put it in the over for 15-18 mins or you can do it in a microwave if you want.

I'm looking forward to trying this later now, it's a very convenient way to cook fish with no clean up and if the topping they put on is nice then it'll be a winner

I think most of the big supermarkets do that now. Superquinn (now SuperValu) have been doing it for a good while.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

northgirl wrote: »
    Brown bread ice-cream, never had it but would love to try it, do you need an ice-cream maker?

Nope :) The recipe I use you don't even have to stir it - folding the mixture keeps the air in the mixture and keeps it thick enough to hold the breadcrumbs without sinking to the bottom, and light enough you don't need to stir during the freezing process.

85g Brown Breadcrumbs
    85g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
    2 Large eggs, separated
    Tablespoon (-ish ;)) of Dark Rum (Jamacican)
    300ml Double Cream
    85g sifted icing sugar.

I usually get a stoneground type brown bread in the shop, I think McCambridges Brown soda (the square ones) is the one I usually get. Using all the crusts, blitz in a food processer until breadcrumbs. Mix through the brown sugar and spread on a non-stick baking tray and grill turning regularly- keep an eye on it as it can burn quickly. You want it to go nice and dark and caramelised.

Set aside to cool fully and break up any larger chunks back into smaller pieces.

Whisk egg whites until stiff. Beat yolks with the rum and fold into the egg white. In another bowl, whisk cream and icing sugar until thickened and getting stiff but not too stiff.
    Fold the cream mix, along with breadcrumbs into the egg mix. Cover and freeze until firm.

Make the brandy baskets as per the previous recipe.

The icecream is quite rich, so a tangy coulis on the side, works well. I did a Raspberry and mint one with it once and went with it perfectly.

Neyite wrote: »
    Nope :) The recipe I use you don't even have to stir it - folding the mixture keeps the air in the mixture and keeps it thick enough to hold the breadcrumbs without sinking to the bottom, and light enough you don't need to stir during the freezing process.

Thank You :) Making this at weekend all for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Tapas! Calamari, and goats cheese crostini with a glass of white wine. €14 for the lot at the market bar fade Street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Homemade southern fried chicken. Why is it so hard to get onion powder, it seems the only place I could get it is on ebay or amazon.

313siab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'll keep an eye out for it for you cofy!!.... :)

Thanks Grey, Tesco do onion salt, but it is very salty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

cofy wrote: »
    Homemade southern fried chicken. Why is it so hard to get onion powder, it seems the only place I could get it is on ebay or amazon.

Tesco should have have it, I know I've got it there before.

Baked Chicken Wings tonight! http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057261582/1

Absolutely fantastic. Served with corn, coleslaw and fried potatoes. Nothing left...... :)

7E08CE5D-ECF6-414C-888B-0D0E6EB20F3C_zpsxcny2jfe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

cofy wrote: »
    Thanks Grey, Tesco do onion salt, but it is very salty.

Tesco do onion granules in their own brand spices.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, I get the tesco brand onion granules too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If you are ever in Dun Laoghaire, there is a weird Swedish knicknacks shop in the old shopping centre that sells bags of onion powder among many many other things. :)

Thanks everyone, I will be in Limerick tomorrow, I will try in one of the bigger Tescos there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

haven't posted in here in a while.

last night was whole roasted ocean trout with fennel potato mash. washed down with a delicious margaret river chardonnay.

if i ever had to cook a dinner for the masterchef judges, i think this would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In relation to the onion powder, perhaps tiger would have it? I noticed they have lots of spices when I was in the Cork shop yesterday :-)

I got the onion granules in Tesco yesterday. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had minced beef pie with champ, peas and gravy.

30bppc8.jpg

• Advertisement

Beef brisket, with roast potatoes, creamed potatoes, cauliflower in white sauce, yorkshire puds, and gravy

2i76y3p.jpg

Followed with a pear and cream swiss roll.

15ydi11.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement