Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made some venison stew a few weeks ago, and we froze the leftovers. Yesterday I used them up by making "standing paste" venison pies:

venison-pie-2.jpg

They were rather good...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Cofy could you give me your Swiss roll recipe it looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I made some venison stew a few weeks ago, and we froze the leftovers. Yesterday I used them up by making "standing paste" venison pies:

They were rather good...!

OB that looks amazing - I'd love to get the recipe from you if you have it handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Yesterday's dinner

2u9kej9.jpg

Chicken fillet with stuffing wrapped in smoked rasher, boiled carrots, roast potatoes and savory gravy (I had some peas also!)

It was delicious.

I made 2 more for today's dinner! (although forgot I'll have to cook the potatoes anyway so could have left cooking the other 2 for today!! Oh well!)

OB that looks amazing - I'd love to get the recipe from you if you have it handy!

The pastry recipe I got from this video:

The filling as I say was leftover venison stew - I don't think I have a recipe for that, I tend to make up stews as I go along. :o

I filled the pie crusts with the cold stew (I didn't bother pre-baking it) and crimped on the lids with a little water; I pre-heated the oven to about 220 (conventional) but turned it down to 180 as soon as I put the pies in, then left them for about an hour.

If I was making them again I'd probably use half-and-half butter and lard instead of all butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The pastry recipe I got from this video:

The filling as I say was leftover venison stew - I don't think I have a recipe for that, I tend to make up stews as I go along. :o

I filled the pie crusts with the cold stew (I didn't bother pre-baking it) and crimped on the lids with a little water; I pre-heated the oven to about 220 (conventional) but turned it down to 180 as soon as I put the pies in, then left them for about an hour.

If I was making them again I'd probably use half-and-half butter and lard instead of all butter.

That's perfect, thanks a mill - I plan to use the pastry for leftover things as well!

ETA: huge comedy value in that video. HUGE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

gjc wrote: »
    Cofy could you give me your Swiss roll recipe it looks amazing

Mine is a very easy one

4 Medium eggs
    100g Caster Sugar
    100g Self Raising Flour
    1 cap full Vanilla Extract.

Filling
    Whipped cream with a little icing sugar,
    Pears.

Grease and line a swiss roll tin. Preheat oven to 200 c (if you have a double oven use the top oven (conventional oven, tends not to dry out the mixture as much as a fan oven and makes it easier to roll)

Using the whisk attachment whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together until doubled in size. Then fold in the flour. Pour onto your baking tray and bake for about 8 or 9 minutes, until the centre has just set.

When you take out the sponge, turn over onto a sheet of greaseproof paper dusted with icing sugar remove the sheet that lined the sponge while baking trim the long edges and roll. When the sponge has cooled, unroll and fill.

cofy wrote: »
    Mine is a very easy one

4 Medium eggs
    100g Caster Sugar
    100g Self Raising Flour
    1 cap full Vanilla Extract.

Filling
    Whipped cream with a little icing sugar,
    Pears.

Grease and line a swiss roll tin. Preheat oven to 200 c (if you have a double oven use the top oven (conventional oven, tends not to dry out the mixture as much as a fan oven and makes it easier to roll)

Using the whisk attachment whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together until doubled in size. Then fold in the flour. Pour onto your baking tray and bake for about 8 or 9 minutes, until the centre has just set.

When you take out the sponge, turn over onto a sheet of greaseproof paper dusted with icing sugar remove the sheet that lined the sponge while baking and roll. When the sponge has cooled, unroll and fill.
    Really appreciate that Cofy oven being switched on as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

cofy, I want you to know don't ever hesitate to cook a cake for me!!.... :):):)

also, are you going to post a pic of that GIBO apron??.....:) xxx

Really appreciate that Cofy oven being switched on as we speak

I forgot to mention before you roll the swiss roll, trim the long edges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I forgot to mention before you roll the swiss roll, trim the long edges.
    That was always my favourite part of watching my mum make a Swiss roll, because we always got to eat the crunch edges! Nom nom!

cofy, I want you to know don't ever hesitate to cook a cake for me!!.... :):):)

also, are you going to post a pic of that GIBO apron??.....:) xxx

I will have to bake something worthy of the background of that wonderfull apron:) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I will have to bake something worthy of the background of that wonderfull apron:) xxx

I'm so tempted to say "we are not worthy"........:D:D:D

Ah, go on.....a little treat for a Monday night watching the lovely ladies would go down a treat!!....:)xxx

I'll be making that sponge should little grey ever make it back home!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I spent the last while in Belgium at a music festival, eating expensive, but mediocre frites and mayonaise - great soakage for Maes beer!

So tonight I had a brown soda bread sandwich with cheddar cheese and enough butter to leave a teeth mark. It was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

After a very crappy week last week and not eating good (or eating much at all) we had striploin steaks, peas, carrots and boiled new potatoes tonight. It was thoroughly delicious. Every mouthful was enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sitting on Dingle harbour licking salt & vinegar from my fingers after Hake & chips from Reel Dingle Fish. :)

fiddlechic wrote: »
    ...enough butter to leave a teeth mark.

They actually have a name for that in Denmark - tand smør - literally, "tooth butter". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sitting on Dingle harbour licking salt & vinegar from my fingers after Hake & chips from Reel Dingle Fish. :)

Oh man, how good was that?

Had a sizeable lunch yesterday so just snacked for dinner time but thanks to Cofy made this late last night . It was truely heavenly!

Had a sizeable lunch yesterday so just snacked for dinner time but thanks to Cofy made this late last night . It was truely heavenly!

That looks brilliant:). I'm delighted it worked out for you. You got a lovely swirl in your roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

That looks brilliant:). I'm delighted it worked out for you. You got a lovely swirl in your roll.

You ol' charmer you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Bought 2 sirloin steaks from Aldi and shallow fried them. They were so tender and tasty. I made potato dauphinoise and garlic butter to go them.

Most enjoyable homemade meal I have had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we are having a spicy, red wine mince mixture with some rice.

Comfort food needed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh man, how good was that?

It was awesome! :D

Tonight we went to The Chart House. I had a lovely chowder choc full of fresh fish & mussels with a lovely lime oil that gave it a great kick. Then supreme of chicken perfectly cooked with rösti & stewed aubergine. Pannacotta with rhubarb & cherry ice cream to finish.

The others went for Annascaul black pudding in filo to start, beef tagine for mains, & amaretto torte with the most superb hazelnut ice cream for dessert. A quality meal. Really live this place.

But the fish & chips al fresco was the one we will all remember. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had roast chicken with home made potato salad and fresh corn on the cob - so much nicer than frozen corn :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The San Francisco Treat last night :D (aka Rice A Roni):

medium_rice-a-roni.JPG

A staple of my diet when I was on my J1, it's just as great as I remember. The pasta equivalent of Koka noodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Annascaul black and white pudding, nom nom nom.

Oh how I need my fix of Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

My latest creation of peri peri turkey breast omlette with mushrooms, smelled good, and tasted great!
    14787763600_67afe8b7d5_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made chilli with fresh salsa, sour cream, corn with chilli butter and nachos. Nomnomnomnom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

We had the slimming world Diet Cola Chicken with sweet potato wedges, followed by some chocolate beetroot brownies - yum!!!

The chicken is quickly becoming one of our staple dishes!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement