Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Alun wrote: »
    Where did you get your samphire from if I may ask?

You can buy it in Cavistons in Glasthule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Where did you get your samphire from if I may ask?

He is actually a she :D

As to the Samphire you can get it in The Happy Pear Greystones. That's where I got this particular batch although my fishmonger also does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hdowney wrote: »
    He is actually a she :D
    Sorry :D
    As to the Samphire you can get it in The Happy Pear Greystones. That's where I got this particular batch although my fishmonger also does it.
    Ah, that's interesting .. I'll be heading that way tomorrow anyway, so I'll pick some up if they still have it. Where's your fishmonger BTW?

I wish there was somewhere nearby that I could go and pick some myself .. would there be any down past Kilcoole there where the nature reserve is, that's a salt marsh isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Roasted chicken legs with garlic powder on top. Had with boiled rice, steamed home grown carrots and a homemade mushroom sauce. Was very tasty.

2vb4w9c.jpg

Sorry :D

Ah, that's interesting .. I'll be heading that way tomorrow anyway, so I'll pick some up if they still have it. Where's your fishmonger BTW?

I wish there was somewhere nearby that I could go and pick some myself .. would there be any down past Kilcoole there where the nature reserve is, that's a salt marsh isn't it?

The Fish Man, The South Quay, Wicklow Town :)

Dunno as to the Marsh's of Kilcoole, never been. Possibly. Might possibly be where The Happy Pear gets theirs from.

Tonights dinner is oven chips and Jack Daniels Pork Chop - Lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Pan fried dook rubbed in five spice, steamed cabbage and baby new potatoes.

2014-08-21%2018.38.58_zpsafqv1jmb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

If you walk along the marsh on the Clontarf side of Bull Island (park at the Sea Scouts centre), there's loads growing there.

Thank you so much for that info Gloom..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chicken curry tonight. I normally dry fry my flatbreads in a pan but as the pizza stone was still in the oven from last night, thought I'd throw them on to that to see if it made any difference.

Not sure if the photo does it 3D justice but they look amazing! :)

6CB4D609-21EC-4E32-8FEC-27D0C146BA9F_zpsvdipmswd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Fried spuds peas and hunters chicken is was truely Devine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

Marinated lamb steaks this evening with redwine sauce, roasted potatoes and green beans.
    14969009486_9ff51e2e25_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Fillet steak, fondant potatoes, roast carrots and a creamy mushroom sauce. Didn't soften the onions enough for the sauce and it tasted slightly wine-y but not bad still. Everything else was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we will have rack of Lamb, boiled new potatoes and some peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rotiserrie Chicken from Aldi, Carrots, Sweetcorn, Garden Peas and seriously buttery mashed potatoes. Oh and a heap of gravy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Roesy wrote: »
    Fillet steak, fondant potatoes, roast carrots and a creamy mushroom sauce. Didn't soften the onions enough for the sauce and it tasted slightly wine-y but not bad still. Everything else was gorgeous.

With all the talk of fondant potatoes on the CC thread I made them too. Had them with ribeye steak from ALDI (wasn't great quality tbh), and sugar snaps.

319275.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Koka noodles, 300ml of water, salt, pepper, 500ml bottle of Coke and a Kleenex tissue to cry into. But she'll come crawling back. The bitch.

Forgot to also say that I've gotten samphire in Superquinn before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had them with ribeye steak from ALDI (wasn't great quality tbh), and sugar snaps.
    I find the steaks from both Aldi and Lidl a bit hit and miss tbh. The meat itself is of good enough quality, but the butchering often leaves a lot to be desired. They're obviously cut to a specific weight, which means you either have a large, thin steak or a small, thick one, and you have to rummage through what's available to find a decent one. Also the Aldi packaging hides one of the two steaks in the package, and usually the one you can't see turns out to be some odd misshapen lump of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I find the steaks from both Aldi and Lidl a bit hit and miss tbh. The meat itself is of good enough quality, but the butchering often leaves a lot to be desired. They're obviously cut to a specific weight, which means you either have a large, thin steak or a small, thick one, and you have to rummage through what's available to find a decent one. Also the Aldi packaging hides one of the two steaks in the package, and usually the one you can't see turns out to be some odd misshapen lump of a thing.

I love the Specially Selected Angus fillet steaks, but you are so spot on with the odd pairs! There's always one significantly less attractive than than the other :D

I used to buy the ribeyes from the speciality range quite a bit, but then I switched to getting them in M&S, more expensive but delicious. The switch back wasn't good though. Didn't seem to be much flavour going on. Maybe it was just a one off bad steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I made a vegetable korma last night with sweet potato, cauliflower, peas and green beans - I was rather proud of it, too.

My kormas usually aren't up to much, I had never found a good recipe. I'm fine making a decent jalfrezi, dahl, matter paneer or Bombay aloo any day of the week, but kormas always turned out either overspiced or not tasting of anything much.

This one's a keeper, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I love the Specially Selected Angus fillet steaks, but you are so spot on with the odd pairs! There's always one significantly less attractive than than the other :D

They're the ones you give the kids! :)

Tonight. Ooooh tonight. An Aperitif of Belinnis :D Then a starter of Chinese Style Chicken Wings - these have been marinading in the fridge since yesterday :D. Main course will be Herrisions (sp!) Pad Thai dish from the cooking club. And dessert is another cooking club dish Ameretti and Chocolate Torte :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shenshen wrote: »
    I made a vegetable korma last night with sweet potato, cauliflower, peas and green beans - I was rather proud of it, too.

My kormas usually aren't up to much, I had never found a good recipe. I'm fine making a decent jalfrezi, dahl, matter paneer or Bombay aloo any day of the week, but kormas always turned out either overspiced or not tasting of anything much.

This one's a keeper, though.

This is also a very, very good korma recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

This is also a very, very good korma recipe.

Apart from the chilies and the turmeric it's very close to the one I made.
    Well, and I used coconut milk instead of yoghurt - just to be naughty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm not a big fan of steak despite the business I am in:P
    I remember from the factory some different specs for different retailers (age, weight restrictions of carcass as they liked specific size steaks, breed etc)
    Aldi was one of the ones that was strict on age. Big discussion on over with us in farming right now about consumers opinions/knowledge about the beef industry.

Anyhooooo, I have a lamb neck simmering since 11.30, smells glorious and am starved but will have to wait. I keep dipping bread in it as I walk by though.....
    Last night was a lot of fresh olive foccacia and burren nettle & chive cheese. Yum.

so the torte will be tomorrow now owing to the fact I am only in the door after going everywhere and NOONE having ameretti biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight we had pulled pork from the cooking club, potato and tamarind salad, carrot and cumin salad and coleslaw recipe thanks to gloomtastic :). Plenty left over for tomorrow to :).

0a5fbccc-d998-4d0d-9295-0fcee10c60dc_zpse8b115be.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kind of a vindaloo night tonight in the Billy household. All the trimmings too - raita, a couple of chutneys, pickle, naans & popadums.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Garlic bread, Pizza and Lime & Coconut cake...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lamb neck stew that almost melted it was so tender. And skillet cornbread!
    Stew never photographs well:pac:
    E0IAOK5l.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement