Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pulled pork, a couple of slabs of ribs and half a chicken - all from Aldi's frozen BBQ range. A passable feast for a family of four for less than €12! :roll:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night's dinner was mostly beer, but in the middle of it, we tried fried green tomatoes, served with prawns and a sauce I can't remember. They're really nice! A little unusual, but I'd order it again.

319384.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gas BBQ grilled araignee steaks, rare.
    Pan fried cooked new potatoes with rosemary and garlic.
    Dressed green salad.

6uVEPR.jpg

6K2xJ7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We're just back from a week in Catalonia where we ate like kings. Lots of fresh fish, mussels, prawns, fresh bread, creme catalan and bucketfuls of white wine. I ate my bodyweight in the wonder that is Romesco sauce. I fecken love Catalonia!

Back at home now and tonight we're having roast chicken, butternut squash fondant and broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Gas BBQ grilled araignee steaks, rare.
    Pan fried cooked new potatoes with rosemary and garlic.
    Dressed green salad.

How on earth are you getting that amazing golden colour on those taters?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pork chops with onions, beans and champ.

rsag55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Baked eggs with feta, tomato and oregano with sourdough toast. Unfortunately a friend rang just after I put into the oven and before I set the timer so slightly overcooked. But the perfect post-day of hangover dinner nonetheless!
    Will make "dessert" in a little while - mango, banana and lime with greek yogurt.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Paella.

paella-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Shabbu shabbu. Haven't had it in ages. I have an electric cooker so had to dig out the camping gas ring and do it on that.

oishi, as they say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

Pasta, chicken and chorizo. Simple.
    14991239436_a77759632f_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bit of a chill in the air, so hearty food was on the menu... Plain homemade burgers (just mince, some breadcrumbs, thyme, salt & pepper), buttery mashed spud, with tomato & scallion gravy.

How on earth are you getting that amazing golden colour on those taters?
    The spuds were cooked and unpeeled.
    Rather than cut them in half, I broke them with my fingers to give a rougher surface.
    I just seasoned them well and put them broken surface down in a hot pan with plenty of olive oil. It just takes time to really brown them, being careful not to burn them. After a few minutes, I added the garlic and thyme, lowered the heat and put a lid on the pan to cook the garlic. They took about half an hour to get that golden.
    I kept talking the lid off too to let the steam out.
    I flipped them over for the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Paella.

I made paella for the first time last night! Cooked it for a date (who's half Spanish, eep) and he was full of compliments. Made it with chicken, chorizo and prawns. Next time I'll let it cook longer because it was still a little wet when I served it but tasted amazing. Can't wait for leftovers later!

After a very lacklustre Asian dish from Ramen Street food, in cork we were both craving some Asian food packed with flavour, so I did a chicken stirfry which wasn't great to look at but really delivered on flavour.

Chicken thigh meat, onion, celery, spring onion white bits, ginger, garlic, red chillies, a green veg that we have in the garden - kinda similar to pak choi, soy sauce, chicken stock, rice wine. Finished with chopped mint, coriander and spring onion greens. Served with egg noodles tossed with a little sesame oil.

88Q38P.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Roast leg of lamb w/ garlic and rosemary, honey glazed carrots, onions & mushrooms and pan fried kale with garlic.
    (I am not a potato eater)

5mYgzAzl.jpg

.Kovu. wrote: »
    (I am not a potato eater)
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:eek:

I know, I know! Even chips are a bit 'meh'. It's the look I get when I order veg or salad instead of potatoes/chips when eating out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had chicken biryani with spinach and peas. I thought there'd be enough for lunch tomorrow - nope! All gone! Having a post-dinner G&T now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had lazy roast lamb tonight - frozen leftovers from a leg I cooked a few weeks ago. With roast potatoes, broccoli, peas and some leftover champ from last night.

s5ij9x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The 'Michie Special' roll from Michie Sushi in Dun Laoghaire (tuna, crab, salmon, avocado & flying fish roe) along with some fried gyoza. It was supposed to be chicken wings, made by my own fair hands, but I bought the wings Friday night and got distracted by a friend and a couple of bottles of Sancerre and left them in my bag for about 14 hours. Oh the stench...

Then I had dinner #2 when out for a birthday of a late night mixed shawarma. Very pleasant indeedy

• Advertisement

Then I had dinner #2 when out for a birthday of a late night mixed shawarma. Very pleasant indeedy

I had to google that because I'd never heard of it. It sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Roast chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes, honey glazed roast carrots and white sauce. Chocolate fondant for dessert. Nice wintery dinner for this miserable evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Alun wrote: »
    Sorry :D

Ah, that's interesting .. I'll be heading that way tomorrow anyway, so I'll pick some up if they still have it. Where's your fishmonger BTW?

I wish there was somewhere nearby that I could go and pick some myself .. would there be any down past Kilcoole there where the nature reserve is, that's a salt marsh isn't it?

bot of a late reply but the happy pear gets most of their fruit and veg from.nickys in kilcoole so he might have some if they dont, or im sure he could point you in the right direction

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Turkey chilli con carne. Hot but light. 15 month old wants seconds, definitely doing this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we are having cottage pie.

Mince, carrots, celery, chopped tomatoes Rioja red wine, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, dried herbs, gravy sauce. Topped with mashed potatoes and plenty of cheese.

I cannot wait. I've had a pretty shítty few weeks so I am looking forward to proper comfort food.

Tonight I made a Thai-style red curry broth with Pangasius fillet, shredded Chinese greens, bamboo shoots, scallions & lots of chilli & ginger. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we're having cheese burgers made by the butcher. Plenty of red onion and tomato too.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm having what the kids are having - grilled fish fingers, steamed peas and sweetcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Rainy day called for a big ol' shepherd's pie. Can't beat a bit of comfort food :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rainy day called for a big ol' shepherd's pie. Can't beat a bit of comfort food :)

And Aldis super six meat and veg have a lot of the ingredients for it too, from thursday. Carrots, celery, potatoes and mince

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement