Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

This roast pork recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/02/herb-roasted-pork-loin/ - and the timings do work even if they seem very short.

This potato recipe:http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/crushed-jersey-royals.html - though they weren't (unfortunately) Jersey Royals

This cauliflower recipe (though without any cheese): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81728517

Carrots - plain.

Gravy - from the roast pork scrapings, plus some flour, seasonings and water.

The OH made a crumble, with apples, peaches and raspberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night since it was "national burger day" any excuse :), we had two homemade burgers.

One topped with fried chorizo and onions sitting on grated red cheddar.

The other topped with mashed avocado and bacon sitting on goats cheese.

Served with sweet potato fries cooked in coconut oil and chilli flakes with some goats cheese on top.

f3218f90-6104-40ae-8f13-9402eb833b38_zps7978aea8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night since it was "national burger day" any excuse :), we had two homemade burgers.

One topped with fried chorizo and onions sitting on grated red cheddar.

The other topped with mashed avocado and bacon sitting on goats cheese.

Served with sweet potato fries cooked in coconut oil and chilli flakes with some goats cheese on top.

Omg that looks amazing!

Last night we had beef stew, it was such a miserable day. Looks like we might be back to summer food at the weekend if the forecast is right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

We had a lot of mince to use up the past few days so we made a few types of burgers for different days.

Monday: Prawn and Pork Burgers with chipotle mayo and crispy onions.

Tuesday: Turkey and Chorizo Burgers with Mayo and lettuce.

Wednesday: Massive manly burgers. Beef Mince with garlic and paprika and a think slice of mozzarella stuffed inside the patty, a big slice of Clonakilty black pudding, sauteed mushrooms and onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I split onion rings (amazing ones), sweet potatoes fries & grilled prawns on garlic bread with my sister. Was v. nice. Then we drank load of Tempranillo which was also very nice but not smart.

• Advertisement

Wholemeal pasta with a simple, boozy tomato sauce (softened garlic in olive oil, threw in loads of sliced cherry tomatoes then white wine, chicken & spinach) and loads of parmesan. Tasty! Spinach teeth now though.

1AB2C3B0-3C31-46AC-91D9-D49FEBB1B2DC_zpsfahvzcvi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Thai chicken noodle soup from cooking club...yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Shabbu shabbu

WP_004870_zpsa611b543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Charlotte potatoes, water oven, Aspugus, water oven, hereford Beef burger, griddle Roquefort cheese, melted under grill and fried red onions.

6FyULv.jpg

Rhubarb abd custard, dressed with cinammon...

78hdA4.jpg

and a nice cold beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I've been hating the kitchen and loving myself lately so here we go:

Roast butternut squash risotto, with grilled goats cheese, served with ratatouille sauce and rocket from Noshington on the South Circular Road.wcg6ki.jpg

My dish was the 'Halfo halfo', half a pizza with mushrooms, mozzarella, truffle oil and basil. The other half was a side salad with rocket, cherry tomatoes, caramelised walnuts, chickpeas and a honey vinaigrette. I also got shoestring chips with parmesan. Ooh, and a strawberry lemonade. That was in Platform Pizza in Bray.
    1qjs46.jpg

All very nice, will return to both, and I'm also eating out again tomorrow. Life of Reilly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

Beef, Guinness and Chilli Stew

DSC_0520_zps447fda67.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Posh pasta and swedish meatballs in spicy made-up-as-I-went-along ragu.

(Any pasta that has a colour other than yellow is posh in this house!)
    VxGNQpKl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Pork chop in a tasty, spicy ragu that I threw together as I went on, with barely-touched-the-hot-water asparagus and spuds that I boiled, crushed, rolled in butter, seasoned and roasted. Dee-lish-ussss

Same as last night but with pasta levels dropping to be replaced by a lot more cheese

07285FA0-E409-4683-B691-7D15F79D0C78_zpssz0nxzh4.jpg

Last night I had cod in tempura batter with handcut chips, salad and odd-but-tasty sauces in Toast in Rathmines. It was grand, 6 out of 10. Himself had a lovely Portuguese chicken and rice dish, the chicken had loads of flavour and was lovely and tender. Warm brownie and ice cream stole the show though!

Served with a side of heart-stopping GAA action. Ciarraí abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Last night we had chicken Jalfrezi with rice and a few chips
    I used a jar of Jalfrezi sauce from Tesco, which I rarely do but I hadn't time to cook from scratch. It was vile.
    It just tasted vinegary. Shall be sticking to home-made from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Just plain boiled chicken pieces in a gravy with butterd bread. Gravy does be Soy sauce, crushed garlic clove flour oil and water.
    2ahhc8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Roast chicken, butternut squash fondant, steamed broccoli.

butternutsquashfondant_zps23281068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

A low low snack pack, two plums, grapes, an activia, and half a chocolate croissant....

Just one of those evenings. The low low snack packs make me feel like I'm having fancy canapes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Sushi, or at least my attempt at it. Some weren't very tightly rolled. Poor photo, and presentation, but so tasty!! One roll had avocado, one had prawns and the last had baked salmon with lime, chilli and garlic. The smoked salmon was only Tesco but it was to die for, so soft.

• Advertisement

Mole enchiladas with rice & refried beans in Azteca (Parliament Street, Dublin). It was good. Really good. Housemade tortillas, refried beans and mole and an appetizer of fresh nacho chips and housemade & hot salsa. Only wanted a bite to eat, so pleased with what that bite ended up being.

b09b402e-a5b1-4318-83b8-f4cfd09f7b70_zpsd1fb2990.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mole as in......actual mole?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Mole as in......actual mole?

Not the animal, I'd imagine :D. Mole pronounced molé (molay) - it's a Mexican dish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mole enchiladas with rice & refried beans in Azteca (Parliament Street, Dublin). It was good. Really good. Housemade tortillas, refried beans and mole and an appetizer of fresh nacho chips and housemade & hot salsa. Only wanted a bite to eat, so pleased with what that bite ended up being.

b09b402e-a5b1-4318-83b8-f4cfd09f7b70_zpsd1fb2990.jpg

Must try that place out had mole in Canada and it was vile, and from a restaurant that was recommended.

@sarah, mole is a kind of Mexican savoury chocolate sauce

Om nom nom!

mole2.jpg

This was mole poblano (I think, just called mole on the menu). Chocolate and chili, a little sweet, a litte heat & slightly tart. That sounds gross but it is lovely! Especially with the homemade tortillas

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had homemade dim sum Saturday night (and leftovers last night).

dim-sum.jpg

Well, homemade apart from four veggie spring rolls from a packet.

Argh, I had unbelievable dim sum in Hong Kong last year, you're after triggering serious cravings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Spent a week in Sardinia where we ate beautiful fresh seafood; lobster, clams, prawns, more clams........and an unhealthy amount of bread, pasta and some pizza thrown in! Enjoyed every single day.....

Had a few nice meals too since coming home; lovely monkfish dish in le mere zou and a fab blowout in Kinara kitchen in Ranelagh last night.

Back to the simple and healthier meals now for a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

With Mrs. Beer being away, meals can be a bit odd or bachelory.

The other night was a plate of fried sweetheart cabbage, chorizo, garlic, chilli, sherry vinegar.

8jtZAd.jpg

Yesterday I had my standard bachelor meal.
    Breaded haddock portions, oven chips, sweetcorn and peas with lots of salt, pepper and malt vinegar.

5RP4Sh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Spent the weekend in York. Such a great city for tourism. Had lovely lunches of salad and sandwhiches in Bennetts and Brew and Brownie.
    Saturday night dinner was superb - in le Cochon Aveungle - fixed 6 course tasting menu for 35 gbp. Really great.
    1st - deep fried whitebait with curried mayo. fresh, warm bread served with beurre noisette and truffle butter.
    2nd - parsley veloute with cheddar ravioli and their own smoked trout.
    3rd - crab salad with pickled more-appley-than-apples
    4th - Brined and generously sized pork chop with sauerkraut and cucumber salsa.
    5th - their own smoked goats cheese with roasted fig
    6th - the best chocolate mousse I have ever had. Soft, airy, creamy with pistachio ice cream and "burnt white chocolate". They poured some chocolate essence in liquid nitrogen around the table.

If anyone is near York, highly, highly, highly recommend it. Very reasonable wine list, funky cocktails and great service. Will be going back to York just to do the dinner again. The camera on my phone decided to stop focusing, so no photos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement