Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was a bit too successful in my fridge-clearing this week & got it done a day early. Ended up going to McDonald's last night too. I feel dirty. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Stuffed pork steak, roast potatoes and finished off the couscous salad from the night before.

Made a really good chicken noodle soup for lunch today too - nearly wolfed it on the spot last night when I made it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Loire wrote: »
    Stuffed pork steak, roast potatoes and finished off the couscous salad from the night before.

Made a really good chicken noodle soup for lunch today too - nearly wolfed it on the spot last night when I made it!

Soup Recipe? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Went to a friend's place for dinner last night. A mixed salad to start, the vinaigrette had a lovely flavour because he used walnut oil instead of olive oil. Main course was a goat cheese and prune quiche, very nice combination of flavours, and I made dessert, my walnut tart from the cooking club (which is very nice, even if I say so myself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Big roast dinner last night, to use up loads of lovely ingredients that needed using. Roasted baby roosters (boiled, crushed, rolled in butter, seasoned & roasted), roasted sweet potato cubes (always such a treat :)) with roasted chicken fillets, served with barely-boiled broccoli and asparagus. Oh I love broccoli.

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    Soup Recipe? :pac:

The beeb ;)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1869/chicken-noodle-soup

Didn't bother with the sweetcorn though as neither of us can even look at the stuff!!

Loire.

Made the base to a cottage pie last night too - all I need to do this evening is the mash and lob it into the oven. Nice bottle of vino rouge at the ready n'all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

The beeb ;)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1869/chicken-noodle-soup

Didn't bother with the sweetcorn though as neither of us can even look at the stuff!!

Loire.

Thanks that does look good! One for the weekend & not too many bits to buy for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

After a very hectic week and people coming and going constantly, I've been doing roast dinners the past few days as I've had to feed plenty of people.

Tuesday was Roast Chicken with spuds, veg and gravy.

Last night was roast lamb, peas, broccoli, carrots, spuds and gravy.

Tonight will be roast rib of beef with vegs, spuds and gravy. No idea what veg I'll do. I am going to see what is in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Made the base to a cottage pie last night too - all I need to do this evening is the mash and lob it into the oven. Nice bottle of vino rouge at the ready n'all :pac:

Had cottage pie myself lastnight.....must be the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was a bit too successful in my fridge-clearing this week & got it done a day early. Ended up going to McDonald's last night too. I feel dirty. :(

Om nom nom!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had chicken fillets coated in panko breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan and garlic granules, with potato cubes and sweetcorn. A yellow-ish dinner :D

2drux46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Even though it was so hot today, I felt like a roast. Had a lot of veg to use up.

Parboiled and gently roasted potatoes with rosemary.
    Roasted carrots with mustard.
    Roasted courgette with lemon and garlic.
    Light white sauce with broccoli, onion, peas and tomato.

UiuFgwgl.jpg

Finished off with the superb raspberry blondies from the cooking club.

f6VadfKl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Egg fried rice with mixed veg (just the frozen stuff), mushrooms, bacon cubs, shredded chicken and pork belly. Really impressed with the colour you get off just half a tsp of soy sauce into about 600g of rice.

2014_09_02_21_44_08.jpg

2014_09_02_21_43_56.jpg

2014_09_02_21_44_39.jpg

And some caramel squares from the cooking club for after (only doubling down on the caramel because... caramel!!)

2014_09_04_21_08_19.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I had this posted and it disappeared again on me:(

Parmesan pasta with salt/pepper & butter (yummy plain food!) and pan fried chicken breast.
    w5ITYyLl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Nothing worse than caramel squares that are light on the caramel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

^ lawdy that chicken breast looks divine Kovu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

^ lawdy that chicken breast looks divine Kovu!

Thanks! Took me quite a while to learn how to do them 'just done' instead of dried out. There was two types hence it's a bit stripey. One was dipped in a BBQ sauce with added chilli, then seasoned cornflour, then the sauce again. The other was honey and sweet chilli and again with the cornflour.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Thanks! Took me quite a while to learn how to do them 'just done' instead of dried out. There was two types hence it's a bit stripey. One was dipped in a BBQ sauce with added chilli, then seasoned cornflour, then the sauce again. The other was honey and sweet chilli and again with the cornflour.

Thanks for that - loves divine and a great way to jazz up a plain ole chuck!

Made Kevin Dundon's cottage pie last night and it was yum.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/1106/4071-roasted-garlic-cottage-pie

He advised roasting garlic in the oven and then squeezing it into mashed potato. Instead I cooked chopped garlic in a pot with loads of butter over a low heat for about 5 mins and just poured this into the mash. I figured it was cheaper than putting the oven on for 45 mins just to roast some garlic!

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

Freshly caught mackerel, roast potatoes and a few tomatoes picked fresh from the greenhouse :)

Mackerel_zps72d19e36.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi beer,

That looks fabulous! Would you mind posting the steps for this - particularly regarding the chicken stock and rice wine.

Thanks in advance!

Loire.

As far as I remember, this is what I did:
    Everything preped before hand.
    Chicken de boned and cut into thinish slices.
    Onion cut into small strips.
    Celery and onion whites cut into small strips.
    Greens separated into the white stalky bits, and the leafy green bits.
    Ginger and garlic (be generous, especially with the ginger) finely chopped.
    Chillies deseeded finely sliced.
    Coriander, mint and green part of spring onions finely chopped/sliced.

The stock was reduced chicken stock that I have in my freezer. I guess you could use a little stock made up from cube of stock pot thingy but I'd worry about the salt content considering the dish uses a good dash of soy sauce.

The rice wine is Shaoxing cooking wine from Any Chinese shop. Dry sherry substitutes perfectly but is usually a bit more expensive.

So..
    A drop of neutral oil into the wok.
    Throw in your onions and stirfry for a minute or two.
    Next goes the celery and chicken and spring onion whites along with the ginger, garlic and chillies.
    When the chicken looks cooked - this will only take a few minutes in a hot wok, throw in the stalky green veg bits and stirfry for a minute more.
    Add a good dash of cooking wine, a generous dash of soy sauce and half a cup of stock. Throw in your greens and stir for a minute or so.
    When the greens have witted a bit, take off the heat and add the mint, coriander and spring onion greens, stir through and serve.

That's it. It should only take about 5 minutes in the wok.
    Don't try to do too much in the wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tonight we had chicken fillets coated in panko breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan and garlic granules, with potato cubes and sweetcorn. A yellow-ish dinner :D
    Sunshine on a plate! :)

Last night I did grilled lamb chops with cous cous, scallion, cucumber & tomato salad.

Tonight was red Thai curry with hake, green beans, broccoli & scallions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Jack McCarthy sausages, white pudding, beans and toast. It was a Mother Hubbard evening in Chez Roesy this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I made Quinoa, with garlic, mushrooms, baby corn, onions, broccoli and mange tout with a little bit of grated Parmesan on top.

15149944665_dc14a7b0ed.jpg

I made so much. I had some for dinner, then for lunch later on in work then for lunch again today :o

15147022781_5045f9cf27_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

@oscarBravo
    Can you tell me if you bought or made your dim sum wraps(the ones on the far right esp).
    If you made them would you be able to help me out with the recipe as I have tried many times and it has always been a complete failure :o

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I kinda cheated,but had a shop bought lasagne for one and my own potato gratin, which was nice enough. But for me, the highlight was a Lidl bought Strawberry Eton Mess.
    Divine.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Smidge wrote: »
    @oscarBravo
    Can you tell me if you bought or made your dim sum wraps(the ones on the far right esp).

Bought, I'm afraid. Worse again, we couldn't get dumpling wrappers and had to use spring roll wrappers for those as well, which is why they're floppy, shapeless things instead of lovely, neat, round shumai.

Delicious floppy shapeless things, mind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Bought, I'm afraid. Worse again, we couldn't get dumpling wrappers and had to use spring roll wrappers for those as well, which is why they're floppy, shapeless things instead of lovely, neat, round shumai.

Delicious floppy shapeless things, mind. :)

At least you've made me feel a bit better :D
    I have tried umpteen times to make them and has always been a disaster.

*now to find a shop in the back end of the countryside that sells them :eek::p*

Thanks and they look lovely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Last night Mr Tilly made: Moroccan rack of lamb, spicy couscous, humus, flatbread and roasted peppers. I'm spoilt :)

\ I provided the Coors :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement