Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Chilli & garlic marinaded Duck :)
    With homemade coleslaw and leftover baby spuds fried in some of the duck fat.
    fGc4Y1ml.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Oh wow. That looks amazing.

[IMG][/img]f9r21s.jpg

Homemade beef burger with smoked rasher & homemade chips

De.Lic.Ious.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Black rice risotto with king prawns and sugar snap peas...

black-rice-risotto.jpg

...followed by a blackberry macaroon tart.

blackberry-macaroon-tart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

As far as I remember, this is what I did:
    Everything preped before hand.
    Chicken de boned and cut into thinish slices.
    Onion cut into small strips.
    Celery and onion whites cut into small strips.
    Greens separated into the white stalky bits, and the leafy green bits.
    Ginger and garlic (be generous, especially with the ginger) finely chopped.
    Chillies deseeded finely sliced.
    Coriander, mint and green part of spring onions finely chopped/sliced.

The stock was reduced chicken stock that I have in my freezer. I guess you could use a little stock made up from cube of stock pot thingy but I'd worry about the salt content considering the dish uses a good dash of soy sauce.

The rice wine is Shaoxing cooking wine from Any Chinese shop. Dry sherry substitutes perfectly but is usually a bit more expensive.

So..
    A drop of neutral oil into the wok.
    Throw in your onions and stirfry for a minute or two.
    Next goes the celery and chicken and spring onion whites along with the ginger, garlic and chillies.
    When the chicken looks cooked - this will only take a few minutes in a hot wok, throw in the stalky green veg bits and stirfry for a minute more.
    Add a good dash of cooking wine, a generous dash of soy sauce and half a cup of stock. Throw in your greens and stir for a minute or so.
    When the greens have witted a bit, take off the heat and add the mint, coriander and spring onion greens, stir through and serve.

That's it. It should only take about 5 minutes in the wok.
    Don't try to do too much in the wok.

Thanks for that, really appreciate it!

Loire.

I think it's fair to say that the standard here has gone through the roof again here recently...nearly afraid to post!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loire wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that the standard here has gone through the roof again here recently...nearly afraid to post!!!

No :eek:
    Nobody should ever be afraid to post, it's all about dinners that people enjoy and I for one love the simple and old-fashioned ones as much as the gourmet type.
    So if there are any lurkers who are too shy to post - come on in!!

We had pizzas tonight.
    iwt8co.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

My meat wagon in Smithfield. We got a board with ribs, chips, mash, slaw, pulled pork and chicken. Washed down with Brooklyn larger. Meat sweats :)

Sorry pic is shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled striploin on a dressed salad of rocket, mustard and radish leaves with tomatoes and home made pickles.

4BgmhY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today we're having duck breasts, with peas and potatoes. Quick, simple and delicious after a very tiring week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I went to Monart with a friend this weekend (a hard life I have) so we had one dinner in the bar and a dinner in their 'fine dining' restaurant. The food was...em..nice I guess. . Sort of typical 'fancy' hotel food where it's al beautifully presented but just, sort of, grand really. It was pretty to look at but maybe not that special, and I actually feel bad about saying that because it's a wonderful, wonderful place and we had a great time

Night 1 was an insanely over seasoned chickpea, aubergine & spinach curry with coconut rice (salt rice) and a poppadom. This just wasn't very good but I have a rule about not ordering curries in places that also sell fish & chips that I broke so I'm not sure what I was expecting. I ate it all because I am a bin when it comes to food.

B1956C8C-8693-4DE7-967C-217F011E594D_zpsj0ait1jb.jpg

Night 2 we started with a pork paté amouse bouche, which I followed with some bunny rabbit ballotine with a couple of little pastry/bunny bites, butternut squash puree and some berries the name of which I cannot remember.

A11C9168-307D-4FB9-A49E-696E0AA51DCB_zpsahy7rcxh.jpg

48AD8A82-5CBF-43C5-A75D-E7757FB4CE1C_zpsiizfkli0.jpg

Then a really nice, perfectly cooked fillet steak with confit potato, carrot, [something] and an asparagus spear

7AEF27BD-92F9-44A1-8992-1603B1250E17_zpsghj0vjgy.jpg

Followed by a pretty plate of Wexford strawberry base desserts

1960264A-BAC9-429E-8E3E-028D70C8ABE7_zpsf43ucutq.jpg

All served with a really nice Chianti that reminded me why it's a good idea to let wines come to whatever that perfect temperature is for wines before quaffing them.

• Advertisement

A boooooorger on focaccia. Cooked med-rare as fresh minced in the butchers off a round steak. Cranberry wensleydale, tomato, fried red onion and some sort of edible lettuce that grows in the veg patch and hasn't killed me yet. And lots of homemade coleslaw!

Much messiness involved with eating it:D
    0oTH7E7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had duck a l'orange served with egg fried rice & veggies (sugar snap peas, courgette, carrot, spring onions). All credit goes to himself and it was devoured!

duckalorange_zpsa5f3dbf6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

.Kovu. wrote: »
    A boooooorger on focaccia. Cooked med-rare as fresh minced in the butchers off a round steak. Cranberry wensleydale, tomato, fried red onion and some sort of edible lettuce that grows in the veg patch and hasn't killed me yet. And lots of homemade coleslaw!

Much messiness involved with eating it:D
    http://i.imgur.com/0oTH7E7l.jpg

Just wondering where you bought the Wensleydale? I haven't seen a non-cranberry version in ages!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Just wondering where you bought the Wensleydale? I haven't seen a non-cranberry version in ages!

That one was cranberry! The last one I seen that wasn't was in M&S, I think:confused:
    I get a very good Irish one that is very similar in taste & texture in a market on Thursdays. I'll try and remember the name this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

.Kovu. wrote: »
    That one was cranberry! The last one I seen that wasn't was in M&S, I think:confused:
    I get a very good Irish one that is very similar in taste & texture in a market on Thursdays. I'll try and remember the name this week!

Okay great, thanks so much! The cranberry one doesn't do anything for me, but it's so much more available :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Beef stew with carrot and fennel from the slow cooker. Determined to figure out how to use it this year, everything I made in it last year was bland and watery. Fairly pleased with tonight's effort so it's a good start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I got a bit adventerous and tried Mongolian Beef with mushrooms, spring onions. It was a bit tangy for me, but Mr. Cofy really liked it.

nqxuro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Tilly wrote: »
    My meat wagon in Smithfield. We got a board with ribs, chips, mash, slaw, pulled pork and chicken. Washed down with Brooklyn larger. Meat sweats :)

Snap! Had this tonight too. Well, had the pork belly / pulled pork one, with suasages and beans.
    Great value, and I think a little better than Bison.
    BBQ is getting a bit over done, but was impressed with the Meat Wagon. Will defo be back! The lunch "boxes" look good for a special day.
    I went to Monart with a friend this weekend (a hard life I have) so we had one dinner in the bar and a dinner in their 'fine dining' restaurant. The food was...em..nice I guess. . Sort of typical 'fancy' hotel food where it's al beautifully presented but just, sort of, grand really. It was pretty to look at but maybe not that special, and I actually feel bad about saying that because it's a wonderful, wonderful place and we had a great time
    I had the exact same experience in Monart - really fabulous place, but food-value-taste ratio was not quite the thing - but everything is so awesome, it doesn't really matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sausage casserole, very comforting.

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I had the exact same experience in Monart - really fabulous place, but food-value-taste ratio was not quite the thing - but everything is so awesome, it doesn't really matter!

Definitely didn't matter, it was just such a perfect weekend even if the bar chef was Edward Salthands :) It's funny how much of a spoiled brat you can feel complaining about your 'not perfect' dinner in your 5 star resort! God I wish I was back there now. I miss this fella

19245AE1-4400-4F62-A816-005C4809BD7A_zpscowctmzf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I made Chicken Cordon Bleu, or what was called that on Pinterest.

Layered roast chicken, spinach, chopped ham, swiss cheese, and paprika and mustard sauce, and topped with breadcrumbs. I think I ballsed up with the veg because the sauce didn't make it to the bottom of the dish and it was quite dry. Next time will mix the chicken and ham, pour over the sauce, then put on the veg, cheese, and breadcrumbs.

I managed not to feck up the mash though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Oscarbravo that blackberry tart looks yummy. Can I have the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

That duck looks a bit rare for my tastes MissFlitworth.

I had the very devil of a time getting him to stand still so I could make him á l'orange as well!

bean14 wrote: »

I'll get the recipe from Her Indoors later and post it up. Honestly, it was well tasty, but slightly dry. It was greatly improved by serving it with a dollop of crème fraîche.

No :eek:
    Nobody should ever be afraid to post, it's all about dinners that people enjoy and I for one love the simple and old-fashioned ones as much as the gourmet type.
    So if there are any lurkers who are too shy to post - come on in!!

Only kidding :pac:

bean14 wrote: »

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/04/blackberry-and-coconut-macaroon-tart/

We subbed ground almonds for the coconut in the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Bit if a cheat's chilli! It's for cheaters as I made up the recipe myself and it takes minimal effort for a fairly good result :)

Chili!!! That's what I want! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Had chicken strips and chips from the takeaway.
    BF got locked outside and I didn't come home until 6pm so .... we didn't feel like preparing dinner.
    Times like these we need something in the freezer!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement