Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Those aldi curry jars etc. Which aisle will i get them? near jams and honey etc ??? Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

vicwatson wrote: »
    Those aldi curry jars etc. Which aisle will i get them? near jams and honey etc ??? Tia

Down further from the jams and honey, on the same aisle (if all Aldi shops are laid out the same), beside the rice, pasta, tinned tomatoes, noodles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Prawn obsession continues with a prawn stirfry tonight with loads of brocolli and chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Ribeye steak, sweet potato fries and a shallot & red wine sauce

fc0396dc-7cfe-4673-b17d-20ddf94746e7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I ate out tonight with a couple of pals in Bern. I had beet root & red cabbage soup to start. Then a pork cutlet with leek & purple potatoes in a green pepper sauce. The spuds were mad-looking tbh. The soup, while really nice has had a fierce 'gassy' effect. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fussyonion wrote: »
    Down further from the jams and honey, on the same aisle (if all Aldi shops are laid out the same), beside the rice, pasta, tinned tomatoes, noodles etc.

Are they "specially selected" range? Sorry for all the questions, dying to try them from all the recommendations here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are they "specially selected" range? Sorry for all the questions, dying to try them from all the recommendations here.

Yes; an easy way to tell if you have the right ones is that they all have a little separate tub of dry spices sitting on top of the jar of sauce. I tried the rogan josh last night and to be honest, I was not nearly as blown away by it as I was by the madras -the madras is deeelicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Last night's dinner:-

Chicken with peanut sauce and rice noodles, mostly GrahamThomas's recipe, but I didn't have skewers and had cooked chicken so put the chicken into the sauce and had it with rice noodles done like GT's recipe.

IMG_03931.jpg

Then a slice of Nutella cheese cake. Couldn't be bothered to look up the recipe so just made it up as I went along.

IMG_03941.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

fussyonion wrote: »
    Irish Stew last night; my Dad's recipe.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, as always, and it was perfect food to line the tummy before a night on the booze.

It tasted even nicer for lunch today.

Went with beef stew myself. Had it last night, again today and there's more for tomorrow :)

BeefStew_zpsa5eef75d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Heh, making beef stew myself today - beef is currently sitting in a bowl of gravy granules, salt and pepper and a touch of garlic. going for simple and comforting!

Last night I made chicken burritos, fried the chicken in the wok with a touch of fajita mix, chilli, ginger and cajun pepper. Made saffron rice with saffron, turmeric and a chicken oxo cube but sadly it was way overcooked and very sticky - did the trick though. Served with salsa, cheese, sour cream and salad. So tasty!

Need to start taking photos, but I should probably work on my presentation first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BBQ/Grilled then sliced tri tip steak with teriyaki(ish) sauce. Japanese rice. Green cabbage with garlic, dark soy and sesame seeds.

6A6Kvf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Animord wrote: »
    Last night's dinner:-

Chicken with peanut sauce and rice noodles, mostly GrahamThomas's recipe, but I didn't have skewers and had cooked chicken so put the chicken into the sauce and had it with rice noodles done like GT's recipe.

<Don't quote pictures!>

Not mad on them battery chickens meself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Loire wrote: »
    No mad on them battery chickens meself :pac:

Took me waaaaay too long to figure that one out!:P

Loire wrote: »
    No mad on them battery chickens meself :pac:

:D Of course not. That's why I took them out. :pac:

Actually you scared the living daylights out of me. I spent ages going to all the shops in my town yesterday looking for free-range chicken and giving out to the butchers about battery breeding and cages. I thought you were stalking me for a second there.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I had plans for my venison steaks, but work too a bit longer than planned. Picked herself up an Indian and I got a Chinese and we washed them down with a Dunkel beer and a lovely IPA respectively.

Beef shin stew in the slow cooker at the moment and a bit pot of spag bol / lasagne mixture in another pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Roast beef, spuds roasted in duck fat, root veg roasted in olive oil and honey, peas and sweetcorn with Yorkshire puddings and gravy.

I think I could eat Yorkshire puddings with every meal! :)

E5AD8533-4A16-4C87-B120-78DE52564797_zpsvulaabl1.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had a few chilli's left over from last week, so decided to do hot wedges. And fried up some mushrooms and onions to go with the chicken and shredded red cabbage. Leftover chicken from yesterday too. Perfect with a few cold beers.

DCF4E318EB7A4180A5D9929FE417ACF7-0000324795-0003477388-00800L-577BC28A120A448E945F6D3CDDD03936.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Selection of cheeses and pate to start. Spatchcocked a chicken and roasted it with lemon oil and lemon zest, along with some parsnips. Steamed broccoli and floury potatoes. Now waiting on my ice cream maker to finish it's maiden voyage of homemade vanilla icecream, to be served with pears in an amaretto toffee sauce and a coffee.

*explodes out of clothes*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made a stew for dinner. I bought a pressure cooker and used properly for the first time (had made steamed/boiled potatoes before). Turned out really nice, but even better it only took half an hour to have fall apart melt in the mouth beef!

I'll need to adjust my normal recipe though as it was a bit watery/soupy than I'd normally have it, and I'd also make a point of browning the meat a good bit longer next. Still, a stew in 30 minutes that normally takes 3 hours!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tuna & jalapeno melt. Oh, and a grill fire. Just what my poor stupid Sunday head needed to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was my mums birthday today so I had my parents over again. Went the Italian route this time:

Homemade pizza with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, prawns and rocket

Risotto with garlic, chestnut mushrooms and chicken, with a side of homemade garlic bread (himself made the bread from Paul Hollywood's bloomer recipe, shaped into two baguettes. It was fab!)

Dessert was my rocky road because my mum loves it. It's too heavy for me so I sent her home with the majority of it.

No pictures unfortunately, but it was a real success :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Pan-fried & finished in the oven duck breast, with a dark port & redcurrant sauce, sweet potato chips , and peas. No time for photo finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a nice thick, well-marbeled rib-eye with scallion & tomato gravy & the remainder of the crusty loaf that I had for lunch to mop up the juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Burritos for dinner. I cheated a bit and used an Old el Paso spice mix for the mince but I wasn't in the mood for a load of cooking.

Here's the mince and mixed beans mix:

xncgi0.jpg

Here's what we had with it: lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, red onion, salsa:

m7t0ch.jpg

And here's my burrito before I rolled it up:

2ekj0uo.jpg

The pics don't do it justice: it was absolutely delicious and really nice comfort food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I roasted a chicken again! It's my fav meal these days. Thankfully my stuffing worked this time as I was super careful when adding the herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

B0jangles wrote: »
    My favourite meal at the moment: Laoganma fried rice.

So very tasty and spicy and delicious :) .

How do you make this? It looks unreal! And I love fried rice, but putting a few peas through it rarely justifies it as a well balanced dinner, this could change all that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had visitors for dinner and I roasted a leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic. We had it with roasted baby potatoes, broccoli, carrots and brussels sprouts. Mr. Dizzy made a raspberry trifle for dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

How do you make this? It looks unreal! And I love fried rice, but putting a few peas through it rarely justifies it as a well balanced dinner, this could change all that!

Thanks!

Yeah, no, it's not the healthiest meal in the whole world but it's not the worst either :)

The key to the recipe is Laoganma chili sauce, also known as Angry Lady sauce because of the picture of the company's founder on the label. Pretty much every asian supermarket will carry a few varieties from the range. The one I normally use is called "spicy chili crisp", and looks like this:

8jGj2Mkl.jpg

But the one with peanuts in it is also really good.

I started with this recipe:

http://www.xianease.com/2011-12-08-09-05-37/533-lao-gan-ma

But have tweaked it a lot since. Now I do the following:

Ingredients:

1 cup lidl easy-cook long grain rice, rinsed and cooked, then drained and left in the fridge for several hours / overnight.

1 carrot
    1/2 - 1 pepper (depending on size)
    1 onion
    Handful of peas
    1 chicken breast
    Shaoxing
    Light Soy sauce
    1 chinese sausage (optional)
    2 eggs
    Kejap Manis (optional)
    Oyster sauce
    Fish sauce

To Make:

Slice the chicken breast thinly and mix with a splash each of shaoxing and the soy sauce - put aside to marinade for 30 minutes or so.

Dice the onion, carrot and pepper in very small cubes (around 2-5 mm).

Dice the chinese sausage into similarly tiny cubes,

Boil a big pot of water and blanch the veg cubes for around 1 minute , then drain and put aside.

In a small bowl, mix the 2 eggs with about 1 tsp of the kejap manis so that they are well combined.
    Heat a bit of neutral oil in a wok to medium heat and add the egg mixture.
    Basically you want to scramble it so that it it just cooked. Once it's done, take it out of the wok and put aside. If it is in big lumps, just use a knife to break it down into smaller bits.

Cook the chicken and again, remove it from the wok.

Now we are ready to finish the whole thing!

Heat up about 1/2- 1 tablespoon of neutral oil in your cleaned wok and add the diced chinese sausage.

Cook gently to release the oil. When the pan is nicely oily and the sausage looks crisp, add 1-3 tsps of Laoganma (more for spicier obv - if you are wary of heat add less at this stage, you can add more later if you think it needs it)
    Raise the heat to med-high.
    Stir it around so that the oil in the sauce gets aromatic, then add the rice.
    Stir the rice to coat it and to get heated through.
    Add the blanched veg and peas and stir thoroughly.
    Add the cooked chicken and egg.
    Stir continuously until everything is well mixed and very hot. The rice will probably start popping off the bottom/sides of the wok which is good :) But keep stirring so it doesn't burn.

Taste for balance. If you are happy with the salt/heat it's already ready to serve - I normally add about a teaspoon of oyster sauce and a splash of fish sauce to finish it off, plus a bit more laoganma if it's not spicy enough, but that's totally a matter of taste.

There's a fair bit of pre-cooking/prep but final assembly is very quick and easy :)

Edit: Easy cook rice sounds cheaty but I find it's perfect in this kind of recipe because it will not break up or go mushy on you.

Edit2: The story of how Laoganma came to be is pretty damn inspiring too: http://www.womenofchina.com.cn/html/report/1163-1.htm

I had the rest of the box of the Ferrero Rocher that I bought for the cheesecake. :o

I guess you don't really need a picture of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

B0jangles wrote: »
    The key to the recipe is Laoganma chili sauce, also known as Angry Lady sauce because of the picture of the company's founder on the label.

I love this range, esp the one with crispy tofu. But golly, I didn't realise that was a woman :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement