Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Heaven?

Lots of spuds, lots of butter and lots of cheese on top. Sure, just what a strappin young fella like meself needs!
    Last night it was chili made for me by the hands of my fair sister. Didn't even have to wash a pot after, it was the best.

Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Thanks a million oscar bravo. The tart was delicious. My presentation of it left a lot to be desired! I served w
    it with vanilla icecream. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lovely Autumnal dinner last night.
    Silverhill confit duck legs, roast garlic mash; baby beetroot with honey, butter and balsamic vinegar; beetroot leaves with garlic.

4Ttn2y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight will be striploin steaks, boiled potatoes and peas, washed down with a Meantime chocolate porter if I am able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Smoked coley, white sauce with bacon lardons, peas and mashed spuds. Smoked coley is the only fish everyone in the house eats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While I am not a fan of pasta dishes normally, all the talk of Spaghetti Carbonara here recently gave me a bit of a graw for it. I made it tonight for the first time, slightly scrambled the egg & added a bit too much cooking liquor from the pasta, but, by Jebus it was fierce tasty.

It also made me realize how tricky it is buying pasta here in Switz. Spaghettino, Spaghetti, Spaghettina? All with different numbers too. WTF? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It also made me realize how tricky it is buying pasta here in Switz. Spaghettino, Spaghetti, Spaghettina? All with different numbers too. WTF? :)

Male, plural and female pasta. Get with the times Hill Billy!:D

I am pleased to say that I had plural pasta this evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

While I am not a fan of pasta dishes normally, all the talk of Spaghetti Carbonara here recently gave me a bit of a graw for it. I made it tonight for the first time, slightly scrambled the egg & added a bit too much cooking liquor from the pasta, but, by Jebus it was fierce tasty.

One of my all-time favourite dishes. Very forgiving as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Cannot stand carbonara myself - my mum used to cook it for us when we were kids and I'd start feeling ill just smelling it from the other side of the house; we called it "Eggy Blurk".

I'm still not a fan of creamy sauces on pasta. :D

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    That may be the problem. Carbonara shouldn't have a creamy sauce. The pasta should just have a 'coating' of the egg & cheese mixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Diet coke chicken. It was tasty enough but it was missing something (also the recipe has something that annoys me - one of the ingredients is "1 tsp mixed dried herbs" - WHAT herbs, I mean, I have about twenty on my shelf!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Diet coke chicken. It was tasty enough but it was missing something (also the recipe has something that annoys me - one of the ingredients is "1 tsp mixed dried herbs" - WHAT herbs, I mean, I have about twenty on my shelf!)

Probably a mixture of some of these: thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, parsley.

Try adding a quarter teaspoon of each of these next time.

Overflow wrote: »
    Probably thyme, sage, oregano or parsley, or a mixture of.
    I did think it could be Herbes de Provence alright but it'd be nice to be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Cannot stand carbonara myself - my mum used to cook it for us when we were kids and I'd start feeling ill just smelling it from the other side of the house; we called it "Eggy Blurk".

No cream needed, you should try it again the more traditional way:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91989789&postcount=26

Sharwoods & Goodalls, & the like sell small pots of 'Mixed Herbs'. That's probably what the recipe was referring to.

That may be the problem. Carbonara shouldn't have a creamy sauce. The pasta should just have a 'coating' of the egg & cheese mixture.
    Overflow wrote: »
    No cream needed, you should try it again the more traditional way:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91989789&postcount=26

I have tried a little taste of it several times over the years in various restaurants and I still can't stand it - it's something to do with the mixture of flavours from egg, bacon and cheese that does it, I think. I hate giving up on opportunities for palate-expanding but I think carbonara may have beaten me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made a bacon and pea omelet. THe eggs were incredibly yellow and it all turned out a bit psychedelic and pretty tasty to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The last two evenings have been The Cooking Club's Italian Meatballs with mash. A few more left for tomorrow's sub lunch. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pizza night again!

On the right: Aldi sell these little packs of tapas - little squewers of pork marinated in paprika (or something). Pulled the pieces off the squewers, added some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and fresh jalapeños.

On the left: Simply pesto and sun-dried tomatoes.

C5EE3A12-E1F3-4665-B23B-8499FFB2A075_zpsszy4timk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had slow cooked chicken and chorizo stew with barley, it was very nice. I didn't think of taking a photo until I was almost finished eating.

Coconut & lime noodle soup (courtesy of a link I saw from the Rad Na recipe thread). Very limey, but delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made a lovely dinner last night - Flambéed chicken with green beans...turned out really well. The tots got a great kick out of seeing the big flame from the pan...herself wasn't quite as impressed :pac:

Had it with roast baby potatoes & carrots. A nice bottle of Beaujolais (2nd one this week ;)) washed it down well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fried rice with chicken, green peppers, ginger, garlic, chili and Laoganma black bean relish. Tasty but not particularly delicious looking (you can almost hear the 'slop' noise of it being shovelled from pan onto plate looking at it) so no photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was Apache pizza. I have the worst cold at the moment so cooking isn't something I'm doing much of.

Tonight. however, my boyfriend is cooking roast rib of beef, which we will have with potatoes and vegetables.

I also have some Rioja wine in the press, so I may throw a drop of it into the gravy for a nicer flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I also have some Rioja wine in the press, so I may throw a drop of it into the gravy for a nicer flavour.

The beauty of cooking is you get to drink the leftovers. :)

The beauty of cooking is you get to drink the leftovers. :)

I hear it turns into water if you leave it too long...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I hear it turns into water if you leave it too long...

:p

I thought that turning wine into water was an internal function ...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I made chicken supreme and it was yummy! Veg included red pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, onion and baby potatoes. Meat was chicken (obviously) and bacon. I admit to cheating work the sauce as it's one of the packaged ones. I fried off everything before transferring it to the oven.

10603255_10154547276435307_3795248436930187217_n.jpg?oh=a721499b13daea56dfeb015371e34710&oe=549D44B7&__gda__=1418829778_62cf4983ea33fad069579693e1583ecb

• Advertisement

Italian beef stew.
    Very tasty! But I think I'll ease off on tomatoes next week, I think I'll turn into one if I eat as many as I ate this week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement