Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Somewhere between Carnitas and Texas Chilli Con Carne. I smoked 2kg of rump steak cut into very large pieces, then cooked it in a dutch oven with onion, garlic, adobo sauce, cup of strong coffee, blitzed tinned tomatoes and a glug of bbq sauce. After 4 hours I shredded the beef and reduced the remaining sauce before combining the lot. Ate it on soft tortillas with guac, sour cream and some Pico De Gallo salsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

To try and combat my oncoming gout from my meat diet I had fruit.
    Fruit salad can be a dinner, right?:D

Dragonfruit. mango, payaya, passion fruit & yogurt. Om nom.
    CqPaeNDl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

A lonely dinner for one here as my better half left for an overseas conference today. We are very rarely apart so I'm completely despondent! A lazy dinner of steamed-then-fried spuds and a few eggs. Oh and a good lick of ketchup. Might hit the gin later if I don't cheer up :o

friedpotatoandeggs_zps6f930ca7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Homemade stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, roasted carrots, peppers, mushrooms & babycorn, and roasted potatoes with gravy.
    [IMG][/img]34h78ly.jpg

Sorry it's so big, can someone make it smaller?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A lonely dinner for one here as my better half left for an overseas conference today. We are very rarely apart so I'm completely despondent! A lazy dinner of steamed-then-fried spuds and a few eggs. Oh and a good lick of ketchup. Might hit the gin later if I don't cheer up :o

That's my exact go-to meal when I get left on my own :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Yesterday we stopped at An Poitin Stil on the way back from Dublin.

So.much.food.

I got chicken in a pepper sauce, it had mushrooms and onions in the sauce, then he gave me rice which had sweetcorn and peas in it.

BUT

Then he poured a mountain of peas, carrots, turnips, green beans, potatoes, roasted potatoes on top.

Jesus it was too much. I think i ate half.

I had severe meat sweats afterwards....had to waddle back to the car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm having a big huge hangover dinner. Chicken and chickpea rogan josh, pilau rice and garlic naan. All courtesy of Aldi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

T-Bone with the usual trimmings

w8l4yu.jpg

Followed (a good few hours later) by Apple crumble with walnuts and cinnamon drizzled with caramel sauce.

dxjqsx.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dinner tonight was homemade pizza with bocconcini (normal mozzarella is hard to get here - it's either weird vacuum packed stuff, or the super expensive kind), red pepper and fried chestnut mushroom, drizzled with Sriracha. The addition of Sriracha meant my fiancé accepted my meat-free offering without complaining :D

This marks the third vegetarian day I've had this week, and yesterday was a pescetarian day. Success!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Someone made a c*ck-up when ordering last night's Indian takeaway.
    Not a sauce in sight. None. Nada. Zilch.
    Chicken tikka and onion bhaji to start.
    Chicken tikka (again; should've been tikka masala but one was too lazy to say masala and a completely different dish arrived) and lamb kebab (what was this about?) with boiled rice for main.
    Garlic Naan.
    Dinner was so dry we can see tumbleweed blown across our dining table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've made that Chicken Tikka mistake before. :(

You'd think they'd tell you when ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Gratin again, with chicken breasts wrapped in smoked streaky rashers with 'hunter's BBQ sauce', whatever that is. And cheddar cheese.

And an Aldi brioche with extra leftover icing from a carrot cake I made the other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight is oven baked baby potatoes, pan fried lamb loin chops and carrots. All cooked by my boyfriend.

I'm sick and currently dosed up to the nines on steroids so *can't* cook. And I'm on steroids for a week. Nice. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A load of veg leftover from yesterday's roast so fried up some onions and added the veg with a jar of Aldi's Tikka Misala and a big bunch of chopped coriander. Served with home made flatbreads.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

mince and onion chutney roly-poly - recipe from lidl website - very tasty :D

rolypoly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Grilled steak with garlic butter, baby potatoes and lemon and garlic courgette spaghetti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No photos because, well I'm not letting fish hang around getting all fall-y apart-y while I find a camera, but I had The Nicest enormous pan fried plaice fillet with roasted black pepper and sea salt baby potatoes.

So. Good.

So. Full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I just had spaghetti bolognese tonight (batch one of four, the joys of student cooking!), which isn't very fancy but I've got my recipe down to a T.

It's just a regular tinned tomatoes affair with beef stock, tomato paste, basil and oregano. I then add paprika, lots of chili powder, peppercorns, mushrooms, red and yellow pepper, onion, garlic and celery. Tonight was the first time I added the celery and I can't believe I never did it before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Chickpea and aubergine cevapcici with spicy couscous (tabouleh, really), herb and garlic yoghurt and ajvar.

A bit of a round-trip around the Eastern Mediterranean on a plate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Butternut squash and ham gratin.

So lovely.
    Butternut squash is something I'll buy the minute I see it because it's relatively unusual here. (They sell a lot of pumpkin but I find it too bland).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Homemade burgers again.

We coated the burgers with a honey and wholegrain mustard mix twice on each side on the grill.

Surprisingly nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Butternut squash and ham gratin.

Yum!! Never thought of baking it in a gratin! Was there cheese involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yum!! Never thought of baking it in a gratin! Was there cheese involved?
    Indeed there was!
    I peeled the squash and cut it into cubes, along with four potatoes. I boiled the whole lot for 10-15 minutes. I then mashed them, and mixed in some cream, butter, salt and pepper, nutmeg and chopped ham. Put it in an oven-proof dish, and put about 100g of grated emmenthal over it. Baked it at 180 for about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

herisson wrote: »
    Homemade burgers again.

We coated the burgers with a honey and wholegrain mustard mix twice on each side on the grill.

Surprisingly nice.

I also made homemade burgers last night.

I got 8 burgers out of a pound of mince and we ate them all between the three of us along with broccoli, sweetcorn and sweet potato fries. There was also some coleslaw but that wasn't homemade. This time I left the skin on the sweet potatoes and it was so much nicer. Much sweeter and tastier.

10704122_10154557352175307_4965866444970048830_n.jpg?oh=c70c083662f83f8326da35eb439efe7e&oe=549A2F34&__gda__=1419034187_0a77899f30170f996365e979dbbd0f3b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Poppa Wan's Soy glazed chicken, with crispy herbed potato cubes.

2014-09-16%2019.06.01_zps4hyagdsd.jpg

Oh and the cooking clubs apple tart in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Sweet jesus that chicken...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

`Not exciting but tasty.

Baked ham, while sauce, carrots, turnips, peas and mashed potatoes. Cannot remember the last time I had it, was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sweet & Spicy pork which ended up having too much liquid so I had the great idea of bunging in some glass noodles to cook in the chilli broth.

Bad idea:( Brownish glass noddles don't look very appetising. However it tasted bleedin' awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I'd left out mince to make bolognese but I was feeling too lazy to stand over a pan and stir, so I bunged all the ingredients into a crock pot and cooked it in the oven low and slow for two hours. The result was amazing! It had a really great richness. Had it with pasta and a lot of grated cheese on top :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

`Not exciting but tasty.

Baked ham, while sauce, carrots, turnips, peas and mashed potatoes. Cannot remember the last time I had it, was lovely.

Ooooh, yeah! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement