Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Goolay wrote: »
    They were lovely! Just followed this recipe to the letter:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4967/golden-roast-potatoes

I was looking at the BBC site for ideas and saw the above and got instant roast potato cravings. Everything else on the plate was from the site too :)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3497/honeyroast-carrots

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1923/spicy-moroccan-chops

Between the rainy, grey day outside, mid-morning hunger attack and general greed, I really want some roast potatoes right now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Vegetable paella with quorn fillets.

I put it in the oven before leaving to go for a cycle and thought I'd try out the timer function that will turn the oven off after a set amount of time - and it worked! I returned to a house smelling of roast peppers and saffron, and got stuck in right after coming out of the shower. :D

And it was very yummy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Goolay wrote: »
    First post on the cooking forum :)

Moroccan Lamb Chops (just lamb chops marinated in harissa paste), honey roast carrots & lovely roast potatoes

Welcome!

Want.them.spuds :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Regarding the above roasties :
    Finally a recipe for roast spuds that recommended a realistic roasting time for proper, crispy roasties.
    So many recipes tell you to put them in a hot oven for 30 minutes - sometimes less!
    Fine if you want pale, not crispy potatoes.
    Decent roast potatoes take 50 minutes to an hour!

Great looking roasties btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Shenshen wrote: »
    Mmmmm - recipe, please? :)

Here's the recipe I used:

http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/04/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-butternut-squash.html

I didn't have kidney beans so used black beans instead. Also I thought I had a tin of chipotles in adobo, but it was actually chipotle salsa, so just chucked in half the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I NEEEED those roast spuds now!!! I made a roast chicken dinner last night and my roasties were nothing like them :(

biddywiddy wrote: »
    Here's the recipe I used:

http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/04/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-butternut-squash.html

I didn't have kidney beans so used black beans instead. Also I thought I had a tin of chipotles in adobo, but it was actually chipotle salsa, so just chucked in half the tin.

Thanks! I might just give that a try this weekend.
    Personally, I prefer balck beans to kidney beans, I think the taste of them is so much better :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken curry with chipper chips - bliss :)

qxwfo4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lamb burgers http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb_burgers_69009

Never thought I'd be able to slip anchovies, gherkins and capers past the kids but they loved them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Eddie rockets chicken wings. Screw you healthy eating :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Made a stroganoff with Fillet steak and tagliatelle pasta, the sauce was very easy to make even for a relative novice like myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

OH made a beautiful pie with a pickled cabbage, carrot, chorizo and other stuff filling. Why don't I eat more pies?! :)

322741.jpg

322741.jpg

Edit- I just showed her the pics and her response was, "Wow! Did someone else make it too?!"
    I dunno!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stew made with shin of beef. I let it tip away for 5 hours on the hob & was rewarded with meat-melting stewy goodness, & clean plates all round. Happy days!

Recipe please?

Stheno wrote: »
    Recipe please?

+1

I have to make a shin of beef stew, they always look amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    OH made a beautiful pie with a pickled cabbage, carrot, chorizo and other stuff filling. Why don't I eat more pies?! :)

Edit- I just showed her the pics and her response was, "Wow! Did someone else make it too?!"
    I dunno!

I love pies - pastry makes everything taste fabulous :)

I love pies - pastry makes everything taste fabulous :)

I always love them but it's never something that I think of making myself for some reason.

I often turn my beef or chicken stews into pies by throwing pastry over them and putting them into the oven - I do it with curry too :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I always love them but it's never something that I think of making myself for some reason.

I think I'm gonna add pies to my repertoire :)

Anyone got a nice recipe for a chicken pie with gravy? I.e. a brown sauce rather than a white one?

I used murder those Birds eye chicken pies, would eat four at a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Recipe please?

1kg shin of beef in large pieces
    2 large leeks, trimmed & cut in 1cm discs
    6 large carrots, 4 celery stalks & 1 medium turnip cut into large chunks
    1-1.5l beef stock
    Fresh thyme, pepper, salt & Worcestershire sauce to taste

Fry the beef in a mixture of oil & butter. Do this in batches & then set aside. Add more oil & butter as needed. When meat done fry leeks, then add carrots & celery & finally turnip. Return meat to the pot & add beef stock (I used Oxo), thyme & seasonings. Add enough stock to just cover the ingredients.

Bring to the boil & then reduce to a simmer. Leave to simmer gently for a min of 2 hours, preferably 4 hours. An hour before you plan on serving place peeled floury potatoes on the top of the liquor to steam.

Edit: A bay leaf or two should be added at the same time as the leeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I dunno!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Chilli con carne and rice.

1kg shin of beef in large pieces
    2 large leeks, trimmed & cut in 1cm discs
    6 large carrots, 4 celery stalks & 1 medium turnip cut into large chunks
    1-1.5l beef stock
    Fresh thyme, pepper, salt & Worcestershire sauce to taste

Fry the beef in a mixture of oil & butter. Do this in batches & then set aside. Add more oil & butter as needed. When meat done fry leeks, then add carrots & celery & finally turnip. Return meat to the pot & add beef stock (I used Oxo), thyme & seasonings. Add enough stock to just cover the ingredients.

Bring to the boil & then reduce to a simmer. Leave to simmer gently for a min of 2 hours, preferably 4 hours. An hour before you plan on serving place peeled floury potatoes on the top of the liquor to steam.
    How many Hill Billy portions would you get out of that?

I'm planning on multiplying your answer by two for us non greedy folk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roesy wrote: »
    Chilli con carne and rice.

Me too! and another portion in the fridge for tomorrow.

Shoulda soaked my dried chilis for lots longer though, some of them are a couple of years old and were quite plasticky in the finished product. I'll know for next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How many Hill Billy portions would you get out of that?

I'm planning on multiplying your answer by two for us non greedy folk :D
    That fed 4 very hungry & meat-craving Billies. And with the addition of another 750ml of stock & a good blitzing, left me with a big pot of hearty soup for lunch on Friday & Saturday. (Goes great with the gorgeous sourdough loaves they sell in Olive Deli in Skerries ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Tiger prawns with some kind of garlic/chili sauce. Devoured with fingers! They were bigger than some lobsters I've seen! Seafood in Portugal is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Me too! and another portion in the fridge for tomorrow.

Shoulda soaked my dried chilis for lots longer though, some of them are a couple of years old and were quite plasticky in the finished product. I'll know for next time :)

Snap! Just trying to decide what to have with it tonight instead. Had rice a couple of times already this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I tried a new recipe for me; something called Hachis Camarguais - basically a layer of rice/sauted onions followed by a layer of minced beef in a tomato sauce, with a layer of sliced courgettes, more meat, then grated cheese and herbes de provence and cooked in the oven (you add some chicken stock to cook the rice).
    Really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pizza all round. Made Dan Lepards pizza dough with beer in the morning and let it prove all day. It makes a great pizza, the base has a favour similar to sourdough.

Minder wrote: »
    Pizza all round. Made Dan Lepards pizza dough with beer in the morning and let it prove all day. It makes a great pizza, the base has a favour similar to sourdough.

I've been looking for a base like that to make Zwiebelkuchen (a German onion and sour cream tart thing, which needs a good flavoured base). I've never had the patience to start a sourdough yet, so this might fit the bill.

Do you have a link to the recipe? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

maryfred wrote: »
    Tiger prawns with some kind of garlic/chili sauce. Devoured with fingers! They were bigger than some lobsters I've seen! Seafood in Portugal is amazing!

I love the look of that plate. Drool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement