Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Inspired by a few mentions in here over the past few days, I made a big pot of chilli con carne. I've tried a few different recipes, the Hairy Bikers one is my favourite so far. I usually make it on a weekend early in the day and let it stand for hours but only let it simmer for 45 mins this evening before I got too hungry so it wasn't as flavoursome as usual but it'll be great tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

pampootie wrote: »
    Yum! Recipe for the peppers?

Completely made it up as I went along. Had cooked quinoa. So I fried onion, an anchovy up, added frozen peas and sweetcorn and the quinoa. Then added cherry tomatoes, a bit of tomato puree and some chilli flakes. Cooked it all up and then cut a big orange pepper in half and stuffed it and into the oven for 15mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had a load of roast pork and veg left over from Sunday.

Chopped the pork up finely and together with the veg (brocolli, carrots, sweetcorn), mixed it with chopped ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, spring onion, chilli flakes and a dash of sherry and made dim sum.

Making the dim sum wrappings took ages and filling them took forever as well. They were larger than normal but 5 minutes in the steamer and they were ready to eat with some mushroom egg fried rice.

Served with a soy, sesame oil and chilli dip they were delicious.

Will definitely be doing again but will probably buy the wrappings instead of making them.

9776EC99-3A69-49DC-8925-4B12A09B911E_zps8vhabclt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did a Tunisian-style stew by marinating chicken pieces in harissa then quickly browning with ground cumin, coriander, chilli & cinnamon. Then sweated onions, peppers & butternut squash. Added a tin of tomatoes, some pureé, loads of black pepper & the juice of a lemon. Topped off with some chicken stock.

Served with cous cous & fresh coriander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken Korma as well. I made some mango chutney last week so I had that with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Brisket, potato salad & burnt end beans in Bison (BBQ place in Dublin), was really good but I just had zero appetite and LEFT HALF OF MY BRISKET ON THE TRAY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Small one's birthday yesterday so the place was crazy and in a total heap by the time we were able to sit down for our own dinner. Pre-made, de-frosted pasta sauce to the rescue * with pasta, cherry toms and mushrooms. Big glass of wine and a few episodes of The Good Wife and we were sane again!!

* Recipe - it really is very good!

Into a food processor:

2 anchovies from a tin
    Lots of grated cheddar & parmesan
    2 cloves of garlic
    packet of cherry tom toms
    good glug of olive oil

Whizz it all together. Basic enough but stirs well into cooked pasta, but I generally fry gently for a minute to cook the garlic.

I always keep a few portions in the freezer to get out of a jam like last night.

Loire.

LEFT HALF OF MY BRISKET ON THE TRAY!!
    MissF - Banned for a month! :pac:

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

A little miss piggy dinner in more ways than one!
    I walked home from work yesterday in a fugue state and didn't go to the shop, even though I had list.
    When home I decided to see what I could make from what I had in the fridge - half a soft onion and half chorizo roll. I had 2 pork chops in the freezer and some garlic.
    Delighted with meself, I was - chorizo and chickpea stew with loads of smoked paprika and baked pork chops with garlic, parmesan and mustard.

33agfmp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night I was quite late home from work so didn't fancy making mash at that stage, as I had planned. It was oven dinner time!

I cut some of my lovely Maris Pipers into wedges, seasoned with s&p and hot chili flakes and into a very hot oven. About halfway through their cooking time I threw in some chopped carrots, and about ten minutes later I threw in some chopped chorizo.

For such a simple dinner it was divinely tasty - sweet carrots/salty chorizo/crispy, floury spud. It was a wee bit dry but I didn't think throwing bisto over it was a good idea, any suggestions as to what I could/should use in future??

• Advertisement

MissF - Banned for a month! :pac:

tHB

No more than I deserve! I managed to pawn some of it off on my dinner chum but still, wtf like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Elbow wrote: »
    Low and slow beef cheeks with mustard mash, really simple recipe but full of flavour and melt in the mouth tender. (Eat dinner with a spoon kinda tender ðŸ˜)

Yum! What mustard do you use in your mash?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Brisket, potato salad & burnt end beans in Bison (BBQ place in Dublin), was really good but I just had zero appetite and LEFT HALF OF MY BRISKET ON THE TRAY!!

Oh tell me about it - I'm pregnant and can't eat anything! Nothing tastes good and I'm full after 3 bites... I'm raging, so living vicariously through you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Addle wrote: »
    Yum! What mustard do you use in your mash?

Nothing fancy just a tea spoon of Lidl's english mustard & a pinch of mustard powder in with the warm milk & butter

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Last night I was quite late home from work so didn't fancy making mash at that stage, as I had planned. It was oven dinner time!

I cut some of my lovely Maris Pipers into wedges, seasoned with s&p and hot chili flakes and into a very hot oven. About halfway through their cooking time I threw in some chopped carrots, and about ten minutes later I threw in some chopped chorizo.

For such a simple dinner it was divinely tasty - sweet carrots/salty chorizo/crispy, floury spud. It was a wee bit dry but I didn't think throwing bisto over it was a good idea, any suggestions as to what I could/should use in future??

Would a few pieces of feta added at the very end work maybe, they might melt with the heat and give it a little moisture?

For wedges & chorizo I think I'd treat them like patatas bravas and either have a nice Aioli/Garlic Mayo (which I would make lemony because I like that) or a spicy tomato sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just had a delicious piece of lemon cake after dinner, it's the cooking club drizzle cake minus the drizzle (laziness kicked in). I brought most of it to work and my colleagues love me!

lemoncake_zpsc1848145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

For wedges & chorizo I think I'd treat them like patatas bravas and either have a nice Aioli/Garlic Mayo (which I would make lemony because I like that) or a spicy tomato sauce.

Was just thinking the same myself. A roasted garlic mayo would be perfect. I mix it with natural yogurt sometimes to allow myself eat huge amounts of it without feeling overly guilty ,

Oxtail stew bubbling away. :)

fiddlechic wrote: »
    A roasted garlic mayo would be perfect.,

Oof - yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Got home late last night so a fast dinner was needed.

Fried some sliced chicken breast in olive oil. Cooked a packet of spinach and ricotta tortellini. When the chicken was cooked, removed it from the pan, threw in a small red onion, chopped and, after a few minutes, a handful of frozen veg. Used a ladle of the pasta cooking water to deglaze the pan and help steam the veg. Then added half a jar of red pesto, a splash of cream, the cooked tortellini and the chicken.

On the plate in 20 minutes. Nommers!

Baked potato with butter and creme fraiche and a sprinkling of mustard powder (mainly because I have some and I don't know what to do with it) topped with 2 rashers cut into chunks and fried till crispy. It was lovely! No photos because I FORGOT!! Between not being able to eat all my meat yesterday and this I'm not sure at all what's wrong with me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just popped a chicken into the oven for a good roasting. We'll have our first proper roast in quite some time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

This Madhur Jaffrey chicken dish: http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-baked-chicken-from-india-masaledar-murghi-306916

This Madhur Jaffrey Beetroot dish: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/534187

A lentil and spinach dish with lots of garlic and ginger: cobbled together from way too many different sources

Plain rice

Followed by what we call proper pudding, which is a variation on Nigella's caramel croissant pudding served with ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night's dinner was bangers and mash with gravy and it was glorious.

I <3 my potato ricer and I <3 fancy Aldi sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tortellini with a sauce made of cherry tomatoes, baby corn, and fresh basil. And a beer. Nomnomnom.

photo1_zpsff3268b7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Dinner from the other night in Wahaca, London: A selection of tacos, quesadillas, taquitos and other Mexican treats!

0400a9bc-2a3c-41d0-9702-9fba0ca9b843.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A very very tender fillet-like steak (does anyone know what cut this is? Just says 'tender as fillet' on label) with mashed spuds from FIL's garden, and sauteed onion.
    Dessert was homemade apple and lemon tart from Brenda Costigan's recipe, that had himself commented "it's different". Pastry was good, filling was a tad tarty to the throat methinks. Maybe use half the lemon juice next time.

2014-09-25%2019.25.12_zpsmewphmi5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mince: 600g
    Potatoes: 900g
    Peas & carrots: 350g
    2 large tablespoons of Bisto + large glass of water
    2 Eggs
    Olive oil: dash
    Salt and black pepper for taste in the spuds when mixing the eggs in.

I found that under 1100g's of potatoes leaves a very bare amount of potatoe on top, so I'd advise against it. I used 2 eggs from the hens in the back garden rather than butter and milk or cream to whip the potatoes with.

323336.jpg

Four portions left, that I shrink wrapped thanks to the vacuum and heat-sealer thing that was picked up in Aldi or Lidl some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Conchiglie pasta with a danish blue and cream cheese sauce and garlic and rosemary roasted butternut squash.

No pictures as it was gone far too quick :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement