Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mrs. Loire is away for the weekend. After getting the kids off to bed I had a massive rib-eye steak & half a Cotes du Rhone whilst watching the opening ceremony of the Ryder Cup...bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A tray of sushi before (Kokoro - so good) & then various savoury nibbles at my book club. I also appear to have drunk all the wine in Dublin so if anyone is going to the shops later to buy some and can't get a single bottle then I'm really sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I went to Wagamama last night, and after some humming and hawwing I went for the chicken and prawn pad thai. It was nice, nothing too spectacular but pleasant. The chocolate and wasabi cake I had for dessert was lovely though!

I find it hard to choose from their menu because I have no idea what I'm ordering :o

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

just had a chorizo , chickpea , chard stew.. very yummy and 4 more portions for the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,001 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pig cheeks slow braised in cider and sage.
    Beetroot cooked in butter, apple balsamic and honey.
    Beetroot stalks and greens with garlic.
    Rocket salad.
    Boulangerie potatoes with onion, black Portuguese sausage and apple.
    Reduced cider, sage and mustard gravy.
    No pics.

Pig cheeks are awesome!

I have some dinners from during the week to post up, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I went to Wagamama last night, and after some humming and hawwing I went for the chicken and prawn pad thai. It was nice, nothing too spectacular but pleasant. The chocolate and wasabi cake I had for dessert was lovely though!

I find it hard to choose from their menu because I have no idea what I'm ordering :o

Ordering is easy - several portions of Gyoza & then chilli beef ramen. Sorted! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Ordering is easy - several portions of Gyoza & then chilli beef ramen. Sorted! ;)

Duly noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »

Ha, I haven't been to wagamama in ages. Not allowed, cos it's not authentic enough!! Wouldn't mind having some pad thai alright. It's been ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Here's some meals from the past while that I meant to post:

Pic One; Pork chop with mini spuds and salad:

1qih3o.jpg

Pic Two: Smoked cod fresh from the fishmonger, spuds and salad:

1h4d4z.jpg

Pic Three; Last Sunday's dinner; ham and croquette and veg:

2lllmyx.jpg

Pic Four: Tonight's dinner was home-made pizza with peppers, onion, sweetcorn, jalapenos, chorizo, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, cheese and ham:

Before: v7e8ua.jpg

After: 2wn5xzp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Saturday night sirloin steak fajitas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Big greedy bowl of pasta, bacon lardons, mushrooms, garlic, green beans, feta and tons of black pepper. Yum.

I had a dirty big rare ribeye that I rubbed with Thai spice before searing on the pan. Served with a salad of shredded Chinese greens, scallions, bean sprouts & radishes with a chilli, ginger & lime 'vinaigrette'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Fillet steak, mushrooms, peas & baby potatoes.
    kcge9g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Ribeye steak, steamed asparagus, creamy pepper sauce.

steakpeppersauce_zps5b37d410.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I made what we like to call Irish paella. Prawns, chorizo, chicken, peas, onion, chillies, paella seasoning and paella rice.

\all meals come with a glass of freezing milk :)

I had a dirty big rare ribeye that I rubbed with Thai spice before searing on the pan. Served with a salad of shredded Chinese greens, scallions, bean sprouts & radishes with a chilli, ginger & lime 'vinaigrette'.
    I made the exact same salad & vinaigrette as last night to go with some grilled chicken thighs. However, a the chilli that I used this evening (from the same batch as the one I used last night) was orders of magnitude hotter. Even I cannot finish it. Chicken is lovely. What I can taste of it. Even my sight was affected. Jeez...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Indian chicken & rice bake :)

6bf5478f-6607-4af8-86e3-ee6d4bb96b24.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Homemade lasagne. Never fails!

Chicken breast-on-the-bone, baby spuds, broccoli, carrots, gravy and sage and onion stuffing.

I was looking for fresh stuffing (in the chilled cabinet of the supermarket), but they had none left.
    I popped into Lidl to see if they had any; no, sold out.

Wandered over to the packet stuffing. (Haven't eaten packet stuffing since I was a kid, but I was craving stuffing so badly yesterday).
    A pack of sage and onion was 59c. I figured it probably wouldn't be great, but it'd do.

WELL...
    We both agreed it was absolutely delicious...boyfriend said to me: "I can't actually tell the difference between this and the stuff I buy in the butcher's"
    I agreed.
    It was AMAZINGLY delicious.

o0s3l5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

My mom's homemade stuffing is yet to be bet.

• Advertisement

I didn't know there was such a thing as packet stuffing. How does it work? Do you add anything?

I didn't know there was such a thing as packet stuffing. How does it work? Do you add anything?

You never heard of Paxo?!

Anyway, with this one I got, you just pour it into a dish, add 520ml of boiling water, let it sit, then bake it in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every now and again.

I know it sounds wrong and that purists will claim there's nothing like home-made/fresh..and I admit I never buy packet stuffing...but it's gorgeous and helps you out if you haven't time to make it from scratch.
    I was very impressed by it anyway.

The brand I got was Kania Sage and Onion Stuffing, 59c, from Lidl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

^^^^

I always finely chop an onion into it and a dollop of butter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Last night was Kevin Dundon's Tomato Tarte Tatin which was special (my own tomatoes from teh garden !), accompanied by Pan Fried Scallops on Black Pudding and Dublin Bay prawns, Balsamic dressing over the Tarte Tatin and a squeeze of lemon juice over the prawns and nom nom

fussyonion wrote: »
    You never heard of Paxo?

Paxo = lurid orange bread crumbs to me.
    Packet stuffing really is a new one on me.

Packet stuffing really is a new one on me.

Paxo is packet stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

vicwatson wrote: »
    Last night was Kevin Dundon's Tomato Tarte Tatin which was special (my own tomatoes from teh garden !), accompanied by Pan Fried Scallops on Black Pudding and Dublin Bay prawns, Balsamic dressing over the Tarte Tatin and a squeeze of lemon juice over the prawns and nom nom

This tomato tarte tatin is on the menu for tonight, cannot wait to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's Panko, not Paxo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Alun wrote: »
    That's Panko, not Paxo :)

Paxo do horrible orange breadcrumbs as well as stuffing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Had a load of roast pork and veg left over from Sunday.

Chopped the pork up finely and together with the veg (brocolli, carrots, sweetcorn), mixed it with chopped ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, spring onion, chilli flakes and a dash of sherry and made dim sum.

Making the dim sum wrappings took ages and filling them took forever as well. They were larger than normal but 5 minutes in the steamer and they were ready to eat with some mushroom egg fried rice.

Served with a soy, sesame oil and chilli dip they were delicious.

Will definitely be doing again but will probably buy the wrappings instead of making them.

Can I ask how you made your dumpling wraps?
    I have tried using recipes I found online and the NEVER work :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement