Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Today's dinner was homemade chicken and ham pie(from yesterdays roast dinner leftovers). Added some leek, mushroom, fresh garlic, stock and cream. Bunged in the meat. Made the shortcrust and served it with creamed mash and green beans.
    Very, very filling but tasty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Smidge wrote: »
    Can I ask how you made your dumpling wraps?
    I have tried using recipes I found online and the NEVER work :(

I used this recipe

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumwonton/r/wontonwrapper.htm

Cheers for that.
    Will give it a go and see how I get on :)

Just read the recipe again. How did you cook yours? I have tried both steaming and frying and both ways turned out inedible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Paxo do horrible orange breadcrumbs as well as stuffing

Oh right, I didn't know Paxo did breadcrumbs aswell.
    Sorry, beer-revolution, I was talking about their stuffing :)

Like I said, nothing beats home-made, but the stuffing I got was just handy as I hadn't time to make my own

Cheers for that.
    Will give it a go and see how I get on :)

Just read the recipe again. How did you cook yours? I have tried both steaming and frying and both ways turned out inedible

Inedible how? Fall apart or disgusting?
    I steamed mine using a bamboo steamer (placing the dim sum on grease proof paper). They tasted like the real deal using the recipe I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight I made a huge pot of chicken korma with a Patak's paste (for the convenience). It was my first time cooking with both coconut milk and fresh chili, and I'm really pleased!

The chili gives a really nice heat without taking away from the taste. I also added in loads of peppers and chickpeas to bulk it out - student economics ftw!

Oh and I got some free range chicken instead of regular chicken as it was on offer. I hate to say it but it's so much more tender!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Today's dinner was homemade chicken and ham pie(from yesterdays roast dinner leftovers). Added some leek, mushroom, fresh garlic, stock and cream. Bunged in the meat. Made the shortcrust and served it with creamed mash and green beans.
    Very, very filling but tasty :)
    My kind of cooking. I love being inventive with the leftovers from a Sunday roast.

Tonight I am having kalbsbrustschnitte - a thick strip of calf belly that has been doubled-up & tied into a joint with some sprigs of rosemary. It is in the oven now in sealed in tinfoil for 3 hours on 100C. I'll take it out in an hour & seal it on a very hot pan for some caramelisation & serve with roasted baby spuds & fried onions.

Edit: I've never cooked this before & it is a relatively cheap cut here in Der Schwiiz. It was spectacular! Melt-in-the-mouth deliciousness. I haven't cooked something that good in ages. If anyone knows of a butchers that does veal belly at home, please let me know.

Inedible how? Fall apart or disgusting?
    I steamed mine using a bamboo steamer (placing the dim sum on grease proof paper). They tasted like the real deal using the recipe I posted.

A little from column A, a little from column B :o
    I tried both methods even though I prefer them steamed. I even tried sealing the bottoms on a skillet first and then steam(as per one cookery show). Still came out in mushy grossness. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Went back to one of the first cooking club recipes and cooked Faith's pesto chicken. Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had duck breasts rubbed with five spice before I went out for an hour. Came home to find himself panfrying them to absolute perfection, pink and so so juicy and tender. Served simply over a bed of wild rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I ate out and had an eight ounce striploin in the School house in Swords, with onions, onion rings, chips, mushrooms and onion rings.

It's their Monday special for 13.50, I never eat anything but the steak and onions, but it's good.

Work out night tomorrow in some indian in D2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Salmon and courgette quiche. The dill really brings the flavour out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

vicwatson wrote: »
    Last night was Kevin Dundon's Tomato Tarte Tatin which was special (my own tomatoes from teh garden !)

I saw that episode and am dying to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Leftover grilled salmon mixed with seafood sauce, served on a bed of salad in a tortilla. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I made the tomato tarte tatin last night. It was lovely but I was a wee bit heavy handed with the honey - heavy-handedness is one of my big flaws, cooking wise. It was too sweet and smothered the lovely tomatoes. Luckily, I had plenty of parmesan, rocket with a very tart balsamic dressing, and garlicky prawns with it, which did a good job of cutting through the sweetness. Can't wait to try it again and get the balance right.

A pork cassoulet with homemade wholewheat bread.

20EB9713-6519-4D5E-B817-591E9B3AC465_zpsuziixyjr.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had slow cooked chicken & chorizo stew, nice and spicy and just what I needed because I've got a horrific cold :(

347h1md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I got stuck in that M50 snarl so wasn't bothered going grocery shopping when I got home.
    Chopped up all the random reject spuds I could find, made a pot of Mcdonnells curry and lashed the end of a bag of grated cheese on top.
    Wound up having a bowl of absolute joy for dinner!

xgmhzk.jpg

Expecting my Michelin star in the post any day now.

My first ever attempt at risotto, with chicken, peas, and spinach. It was absolutely frakking delicious.

photo4_zps40aba89e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I made chicken enchiladas from scratch, my own sauce etc. A new family favourite. I ate an unhealthy amount.

rtdf7o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I felt too lazy to actually cook and I had one of those 75c mini pizzas from ALDI in the fridge, the poor thing looked malnourished, I scraped off most of the original topping and threw on some parmesan, cheddar and mozzarella chese with some chunks of brokwurst and some fresh pesto.

I also threw lashings of garlic butter on a revamped crust of bread from the end of the loaf and put them in the head for a few minutes when the pizza was done.

Turned out to be a delicious filling meal for myself. :)

ub3VcXx.jpg

xRXLUZh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Unidentified beef steak meat from freezer. Definitely wasn't sirloin, a bit tough, so I ended up chopping it up small and mixing it through my side salad of baby plum tomatoes, coriander, scallions and cucumber dressed in balsamic.
    It wasn't tough to chew, but my ancient steak knife may have given up on me!

33lz5vc.jpg

152nukn.jpg

Last night I made a carbonara: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7591/twostep-carbonara

I used three eggs instead of 1 egg and three yolks (just seemed easier and I have no use for three egg whites) and I left out the garlic (I love it but it repeats on me something wicked).

It was delish. Boyfriend had never had carbonara before (??!!) and declared me a culinary genius.

Tortellini salad; tortellini, cherry tomatoes, chorizo, parma ham, smoked cheese, artichokes, and olives with a dressing of red wine vinegar, dijon, and oil. Mega yum.

photo1_zps7a1f62f6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Got a bit nostalgic about Australia this afternoon, so I went with what they do best... meat pies! I was lazy so used Knorr pepper sauce (it's pretty good if you use 75% milk insteas of 50/50 with water, and allow reduce down a while so it's thick rather than watery) and a meat pie from M&S, but they just so good with piles of mash and mushy peas on top!

20141002_201116.jpg

20141002_201110.jpg

20141002_201130.jpg

Like being right back outside a Harry's Cafe de Wheels! :D
    http://thefoodpilgrim.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/w0005a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

^^^^
    Aw yum, I want it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I normally make my own meatballs from scratch but my OH came home with a pack of pre-made meatballs 'cos "they were on offer".

I cooked them in a home-made tomato sauce (which was delicious) but my God the meatballs were so tough!
    I just ate the pasta, sauce and salad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

fussyonion wrote: »
    I normally make my own meatballs from scratch but my OH came home with a pack of pre-made meatballs 'cos "they were on offer".

I cooked them in a home-made tomato sauce (which was delicious) but my God the meatballs were so tough!
    I just ate the pasta, sauce and salad :o
    They're usually greasy as hell too! Gave up buying pre-made meatballs long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A cracking chicken, cauliflower & chickpea curry.

• Advertisement

Wednesday night I worked late, went for a couple of pints, and had a dirty, delicious long tray from a wee Chinese in Rathmines that I can't even remember the name of. Not even sorry.

Last night I worked really late and had a spicy beef pizza afterwards from Café Oasis in Smithfield. Very tasty and cheap as chips. Happy days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement