Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ray wings with lemon, thyme, white wine and butter. Jerusalem artichoke, potato and garlic mash. Carrots. Green beans.

The flavour combination of ray and Jerusalem artichoke is incredible:D

7FPD42.jpg

7X3jkw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Potato & garlic mash looks great beer!

Loire wrote: »
    Potato & garlic mash looks great beer!

It's artichoke, potato and garlic - really good.
    (but farty!:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's artichoke, potato and garlic - really good.
    (but farty!:o)

What kind of grater do you use for your slaws? I thought I had a decent grater but the last time I tried to make a slaw I just ended up with mashed carrot and apple sauce. I'm guessing the holes on mine are too small and I need something coarser?

Thanks

hardCopy wrote: »
    What kind of grater do you use for your slaws? I thought I had a decent grater but the last time I tried to make a slaw I just ended up with mashed carrot and apple sauce. I'm guessing the holes on mine are too small and I need something coarser?

Thanks

That was a mash we were talking about.

For my slaws I use a mandoline type thing (not unlike this)with a box to catch the grated stuff. I use the coarse attachment on that. It would be much the same as any coarse grater with holes around the size of a small pea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That was a mash we were talking about.

For my slaws I use a mandoline type thing (not unlike this)with a box to catch the grated stuff. I use the coarse attachment on that. It would be much the same as any coarse grater with holes around the size of a small pea.

Yeah, I knew it was a mash, sadly it reminded me of my slaw. I meant to ask next time I saw you online.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ray wings with lemon, thyme, white wine and butter.

Looks quality, was it pan fried?

Looks quality, was it pan fried?

Browned in the pan then put on top of some lemon and thyme, more lemon and thyme put on top, a good splash of white wine, covered with foil and put in a hot oven for about 20 mins. It was epic!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having mashed potato, spinach and either lamb chops or some kind of meat, depend on what himself brings home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Had a bit of a disaster last night. Went to make lasagne, opened 4 (in date) packets of mince only to find out that 3 if them were gone off :mad: so I had to get more mince today and finally got to make lasagne

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I love lasagna!!! That looks delicious! Might have to make one this weekend!

Tonight I made a warm chicken salad with asparagus and balsamic reduction. Was absolutely delicious!!

6QZGj7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I went to my first yoga class tonight. As a result I returned home so serene that I reasoned January diets are an unnecessary cause of stress and for dinner had sausages, black pudding, a salad of rocket, chilli jam and brie, and tea and toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Stir fried beef with broccoli, carrot, mushrooms and courgette. Threw in a few glugs of thai chilli sauce and chucked on some sesame seeds.

Note to self: Thai chilli sauce is very potent stuff indeed.

IMAG1409_zps6434f84b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

pampootie wrote: »
    I went to my first yoga class tonight. As a result I returned home so serene that I reasoned January diets are an unnecessary cause of stress and for dinner had sausages, black pudding, a salad of rocket, chilli jam and brie, and tea and toast.
    Yoga highs are awesome :D Your dinner sounds yum!

Comfort supper tonight of creamy mustardy scrambled eggs with parsley on Marmited wholemeal toast, served with kale and baby sprouts that I roasted with smoked sea salt. I'm actually still full from it. Miraculous supper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Ended up going out for dinner tonight to try SuperMissSue, a seafood restaurant just off Stephens Green that opened last week.

At the moment they have a small cafe/bistro style serving both main courses and smaller dishes which suit sharing perfectly. Unfortunately they also had a specials board with about 5 or 6 options hence decision making requires some time!

They're opening their restaurant in March which will also include a Gin & Campari bar. Also open at the end of the cafe is a fish & chip counter which is open till 3am at the weekends serving quality takeaway.

With such an increase in the number of new restaurants opening up, I was blown away by this meal and it's already settled itself as one of my favourite restaurants in the city.

We chose the "kilo of Mussels" to start and were informed they were caught in Dublin Bay at 6.30am that morning. I'm not sure I've ever seen one as big as this;
    A4DC7F95-FE1E-4587-AC78-A87B4C68B38B_zpsb0hxtcvy.jpg

For main we shared 10 Gambas prawns which were cooked on a plancha. They were so meaty and seasoned really well in a cayenne pepper and lemon oil.

CCFAE2F2-6C21-4308-9032-2DB25E83A24A_zpsui0b2ufd.jpg

It pains me to say but one of the highlights of the meal were the chips which were phenomenal. They were so good that we actually contemplated ordering another portion instead of dessert! The other side was roasted beets and carrots with Ricotta.

Curious to see if their desserts lived up to the standard of their savoury dishes we shared a chocolate, passion fruit and hazelnut torte which again was sublime. Very rich and perfect for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Tmc86 all that food looks so attractive and tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was another case of too-hungry-to-take-photo. Waited for two hours for Mr Fox to get chicken from the butcher which is just 300m from home (oh must I mention there's a pub in between?), resulting dinner to be pushed to 9.30pm.

Vertical roast chicken (haven't done this for awhile) in thyme garlic and lemon butter. Threw in a handful of lardons the last 20 min to flavour the dripping, and once taken out of the oven the bird was drizzled with red wine vinegar. Reduced to a sensational jus.
    Homemade coleslaw of cabbage, carrot, apple & celery with walnut chunks.
    Roast sweet potato chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

tmc86 wrote: »
    We chose the "kilo of Mussels" to start and were informed they were caught in Dublin Bay at 6.30am that morning.

Excuse my ignorance but can you actually eat mussels that are caught fresh? I thought they had to be filtered?

Edit:- Oh btw, all the dishes look amazing. I must check out that place some time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but can you actually eat mussels that are caught fresh? I thought they had to be filtered?

Edit:- Oh btw, all the dishes look amazing. I must check out that place some time. :)

I think if you catch them fresh then you have to eat them the same day otherwise they need to be frozen or go through another process.

However, if I come down with a dose of food poisoning I'll definitely update! :)

tmc86 wrote: »
    I think if you catch them fresh then you have to eat them the same day otherwise they need to be frozen or go through another process.

However, if I come down with a dose of food poisoning I'll definitely update! :)

No I meant from a filtering point of view. Mussels and Oysters etc. are filter feeders so I thought that they had to be flushed (or allowed to flush themselves) in clean tanks before being consumed. Maybe it just depends on where they are caught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No I meant from a filtering point of view. Mussels and Oysters etc. are filter feeders so I thought that they had to be flushed (or allowed to flush themselves) in clean tanks before being consumed. Maybe it just depends on where they are caught.

If they are caught at 6.30 am they could be in water filtering for 12 hours before they actually appear on the plate?

Animord wrote: »
    If they are caught at 6.30 am they could be in water filtering for 12 hours before they actually appear on the plate?

Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Last night was my first night off in what felt like months, so nice to be able to cook a proper dinner in my own kitchen. Had lamb shanks with rice and veg, and made a Shepherd's pie for tonight's dinner as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Lamb chops, baked potato (with a little cheese on top) and baby carrots. And desert is Superquinn strawberry cheesecake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Another curry night. Trying out Neven Maguire's Lamb Bhuna. It looks and tastes completely different from my local takeaway ones, must be the addition of coconut milk. Very tasty none the less.

LambBhunaNevenMaguire_zps316c233a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Made meatballs today. Usually they fall apart when I'm browning them so I just buy them made in Aldi but thought I'd try them once again. Sure enough turned to mush! :(

Made spaghetti using a pasta machine for the first time. Very fiddley and messy but I'm sure with time it'll get easier (but not as easy as simply opening a packet!). Cooks in seconds though.

So we ended up with Spag Bol, texture of the fresh pasta very different to dried. Nice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Had bacon, white sauce, cabbage, mashed spud. Plain and simple but yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Got some smoked ham in a Polish deli and had it with cabbage, potatoes and a parsley sauce.

289070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Spaghetti bolognese, nothing fancy. did make enough to last another three weeks, so happy with that.

So much nicer than the jars and worked out pretty cheap as well.

• Advertisement

Made meatballs today. Usually they fall apart when I'm browning them so I just buy them made in Aldi but thought I'd try them once again. Sure enough turned to mush! :(

Made spaghetti using a pasta machine for the first time. Very fiddley and messy but I'm sure with time it'll get easier (but not as easy as simply opening a packet!). Cooks in seconds though.

So we ended up with Spag Bol, texture of the fresh pasta very different to dried. Nice! :)

Try adding some egg and breadcrumbs next time and leave them in the fridge for a while before you fry them and make sure the pan is hot, and also don't be tempted to keep moving them when browning them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement