Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Not the most photogenic dinner ever; Chicken and broccoli pie with added peas, bacon bits and red onion.
    ng6gY3cl.jpg

Followed by an unholy amount of fresh made caramel popcorn
    IrfyhWqm.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Normally I am a salted popcorn person, but tell us, how did you make the caramel sauce for your popcorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Normally I am a salted popcorn person, but tell us, how did you make the caramel sauce for your popcorn?

125g butter melted in a saucepan, then added in two tablespoons of golden syrup and one of honey. Heated that up to bubbling and added in 100g of light brown sugar. Bubbled that for about 7mins I think or until all the sugar was melted.

Had a load of popcorn freshly popped and on a tray lined with parchment, poured it over and tossed it together.

I'd say it would be nice with a bit of salt added for the sweet/savory taste too!

That sounds great. Cool home made treat. Gonna try it! Thanks. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ECCFFF21B7614F6195CC7D13230899B6-0000324795-0003690873-00800L-040F9D629076404D8C28ABDFBC3BF7F1.jpg

Went to Seafield Spa yesterday for a bit of RnR, and food. I had chicken wings for dinner. It cost €10.50, and it was a starter. There was 16 wings. Took me 30 mins to get through it. And 2 pork ribs too. Some job.

• Advertisement

Forgot a photo again. Too busy eating!

Dinner tonight was spag bol - but sexed up a little. The usual beef stock, garlic, onions, herbs and tomatoes...but given the season that's in it I added half a butternut squash, cut into small cubes. With a good 2 hour simmer, the squash disintegrated into a lovely rich sauce. Good splash of red wine in there, too. Eaten with mafaldine pasta, garlic dough balls and a crispy salad. Red wine, tiramisu and tea to round it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Mr Fox cooked penne with sausages in tomato sauce. It was beautiful. I was maaaaarvin after a run so no photo. It really made my evening, it did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pissaladière.

Nom nom, all the anchovies and olives! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

An overcooked Quiche. Tasted grand just too browned, and a bit watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

beertons wrote: »
    <Mod snip>
    Went to Seafield Spa yesterday for a bit of RnR, and food. I had chicken wings for dinner. It cost €10.50, and it was a starter. There was 16 wings. Took me 30 mins to get through it. And 2 pork ribs too. Some job.

That's an average of 1 wing every 2 minutes, your a slow eater ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Holy crap thats a portion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

About to have my first spicer burger. But it's from a lovely butcher in Dublin, not a takeaway so hopefully, I'll like it! And it's huge! I don't need to eat anything else with it.

Underneath that pile of veg (carrot, leek, ginger, oyster mushroom, chilli, pak choy, broccoli) are two beautiful fillets of seabass, drizzled with light soy, then steamed, and finished off with hot sesame garlic oil to sizzle. Served with rice.

IMG_20141107_192516_zpszrarmoz_edit_1415389801181_zpsfbvuwg14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight was a traditional mammy dinner: pork chops with onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.

Normally not my favourite kind of dinner but it really hit the spot on a miserable Friday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Tonight was a traditional mammy dinner: pork chops with onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.

Normally not my favourite kind of dinner but it really hit the spot on a miserable Friday night :)

Onion gravy and mash-I am drooling here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Makood wrote: »
    Onion gravy and mash-I am drooling here :D

It was lovely and wintery. The fact that I didn't make it myself made it all the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I get ya Ilyana!

Tonight was Mammy's homemade Cottage Pie followed by Mammy's homemade Apple Cake.

Love coming home for the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Had some free time so cooked a Crab Curry following a recipe by Peter Kuruvita; did the Beef Rendang from James Osmands Cradle of Flavour; and also did a braised veal tail with tomatoes and white wine. We ate the crab curry and some beef Rendang with plain white rice; the veal tail will fill us up after the rugby tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Love Beef Rendang.

Minder wrote: »
    Had some free time so cooked a Crab Curry following a recipe by Peter Kuruvita; did the Beef Rendang from James Osmands Cradle of Flavour; and also did a braised veal tail with tomatoes and white wine. We ate the crab curry and some beef Rendang with plain white rice; the veal tail will fill us up after the rugby tomorrow.

Is this the one also known as Minder's Beef Rendang in this forum?:p

Crab curry always reminds me of my late grandad; he used to cook it the night before, just tasted better the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Overflow wrote: »
    That's an average of 1 wing every 2 minutes, your a slow eater ;)

Could have been 35 mins. I was on the vodka too. And there was sauce all over the shop when I was finished.

My friend cooked last night.

Chicken and mushroom enchiladas, but not as I had ever eaten them before. The filling was creamy as opposed to tomato-based. They were unbelievably good.

With home made salsa and guac, black beans, tortilla chips and a crispy dressed salad.

Snickerdoodles for dessert. Wine and beer. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Plain ol' stew with minced beef & diced carrots, onions, spuds & celeryBasic, but just what was needed on a bitterly cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ribeye steaks with a mix of green beans and asparagus fried in butter with breakfast mushrooms. All washed down with a very tasty St. Emillion. Perfect Friday night!

Baked salmon in sweet chilli ginger soy, with slaw made of red cabbage, carrot, celery, apple and kohlrabi.

IMG_20141108_194908_zpsussjx7s_edit_1415476306973_zpsiotc8ybh.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Baked salmon in sweet chilli ginger soy, with slaw made of red cabbage, carrot, celery, apple and kohlrabi.

That looks beautiful.

We had a comforting pasta bake: pork and apple sausage cut into little meatballs and pan-fried with with onions and red pepper, in a rich sauce made from garlic, tomato and mascarpone, tossed with penne, topped with mozzarella, and baked. Eaten with cheesy garlic bread.

Bit of a cheese overload...but I ain't complainin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Meatball sandwiches. Everything from bread to sauce to meatballs made from scratch by my very clever friend. Picked up some provolone to go on top. Extremely full & happy right now

5881E4C3-00E0-4113-8C7B-08FF3E333EA7_zps95l4kigy.jpg

DE57B5A1-7BA7-4CEB-A6D4-57946145E11E_zpsdcs4m0dn.jpg

2AAD5257-E077-486C-801F-305119295E70_zpsgngxzgk0.jpg

97D68EF5-3811-4437-ABEA-E0A135B2378B_zps2a0pukcb.jpg

6edf83c4-67ea-47ec-b7b5-7128998d77d2_zps956f67df.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    About to have my first spicer burger. But it's from a lovely butcher in Dublin, not a takeaway so hopefully, I'll like it! And it's huge! I don't need to eat anything else with it.

I... didn't like it. Everything was good quality in it - beef mince, pork mince, potato and really nice spices. But it was just a bit too hot and I thought that the spices just tasted a bit raw or something. I'd usually swirl spices quickly in hot oil but the spices coating the burger obviously didn't get that so just retained that raw taste. Not for me! There's another in the freezer that I will eat at some stage as I'm not a food waster but no, not for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

We went to Bon Appetit in Malahide for tapas and cocktails. I've decided im gonna move in there now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Sunday roast, with the roast potatoes done the way recommended on this thread a little while back. To the person who posted the method, the cofy household thanks you so very much.

2zs9vrq.jpg

And for later, molten chocolate pot with a cappuccino:

20pezht.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement