Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Tonight I had chicken korma. I steamed some courgette to go on the side... oh god. Don't ever steam a courgette. The green stuff went in the bin, the chicken went in my belly.

I've been using a Michael Barrry (the Crafty Cook from BBC's original food and Drink programme) courgette recipe for years.

For two or three courgettes - around a pound:

Wait until everything else is almost ready, then put a spoon or so of olive oil into a very hot pan. Add a chopped clove of garlic, and the courgettes cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Put the lid on the pan and shake over the heat for about 30 seconds. Remove the lid, add a tablesdpoon or so of tomato puree, put the lid back on and shake for another 30 seconds.

That's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made colcannon for the first time yesterday, and it was lovely. Himself was pleasantly surprised by a traditional Irish dish (being French, he finds good Irish cuisine hard to imagine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Applause wrote: »
    I had a KFC Mega Box. :( Too ashamed to photograph it.

Feel no shame! Be strong, be proud! All hail the finger-lickin' yumminess!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I'm back cooking the occasional meal :-)
    At the weekend we had friends around.
    We started with lightly spiced pork crackling with sangarita and really good tequila.
    Main was peurco pebil with mango salsa and white rice.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochinita_pibil
    Dessert was ginger oat cakes with Greek yoghurt and plum compote.

It was a great comeback!
    No pics.

what spices did you use on the crackling ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made colcannon for the first time yesterday, and it was lovely. Himself was pleasantly surprised by a traditional Irish dish (being French, he finds good Irish cuisine hard to imagine!)

If you have any left over, throw a bit of flower in to make the most delicious potato cakes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If you have any left over, throw a bit of flower in to make the most delicious potato cakes :)

Mmmmm daffodil and lily potato cakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

foodaholic wrote: »
    what spices did you use on the crackling ?

Salt.
    Cumin, allspice, black pepper, chilli flakes and a tiny bit of clove.
    The skin was detached from the meat so I was able to rub the spice mix into both front and back and roast it separately.

I had some in the fridge for lunch today, I fried it like a potato cake (I didn't need to add flour, it stayed together well), OMG it was delicious. It's going on my recipe permanent rotation!

Last night (and tonight) was shin beef stew with steamed spuds and mange touts.
    Shin beef, streaky bacon, onion, celery, carrots, butternut squash (last half hour) garlic, fresh chopped tomatoes, sliced ginger, bay leaf, thyme, pepper corns, allspice, salt, flour, red wine.
    Lovely warming dish.
    Didn't bother with pics - it's stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Long time lurker but decided to post tonight as my dinner if not exciting was just yumm, and baby was asleep so even got to eat it hot :)

Beef and Guinness stew with sinful creamy mash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

polydactyl wrote: »
    Long time lurker but decided to post tonight as my dinner if not exciting was just yumm, and baby was asleep so even got to eat it hot :)

Beef and Guinness stew with sinful creamy mash.

It looks very hearty, I'm starving at the moment, waiting for my dinner to finish cooking, so I'm drooling at your picture. :p

Post more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Tried making both of these for the first time today, was pretty happy with how they turned out. Pan fried duck with garlic asparagus and potato rosti and then some (slightly overcooked, damn oven and ramekin shape) chocolate lava cake with raspberry coulis.. Hopefully they're better next week, this time was just a practice :o

20141114_182941.jpg

20141114_204409.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Similarly decided to try something...

Chicken roulade (prosciutto wrapped, goats cheese, chive and lemon zest filling) on a bed of mash with paprika aioli

4MY9ZX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

only meals of worth this week were shabbu shabbu on Monday and hereiscider's salmon over onion and leek and broccoli for the second time in 8 days. That's a good 'un hereiscider, no doubt about it. simple but very effective. I've slipped int a bit of a rut, absolutely no new ideas of what/how to cook....but thanks for that.

Porc au caramel, served with sauted cabbage and rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Came home from the airport to beef stew with home made wholemeal rolls. I swear to God people who bake bread are the best people. It was a rotten evening, stew fixes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Came home from the airport to beef stew with home made wholemeal rolls. I swear to God people who bake bread are the best people. It was a rotten evening, stew fixes everything.

Recent covert to the bread making gig and many thanks to Oscar Bravo (aka his holiness) for his recipe. Done it a few times with the kids and its got me hooked! Looks like Im being inducted into the anointed ones!

Anyways last night was Dunnes Fillet Steaks (med and med rare) with oven chunky chips and a recent find for veg (Birds Eye steam fresh) which is simple and straight forward but very very good in my opinion (especially on a Friday night when mad week at work is being brushed off a minimal effort needed!)

Tonight is Roast Chuck, roast veg and roast spuds! Will be devoured presently followed by taped Elementary in front of the roaring fire (sleep or cheese may follow)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night we were in Asador for dinner, so I had the chicken wings to start, then the rib-eye on the bone, and sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

Was my first time having sticky toffee pudding, I couldn't eat much of it as it was so sickly sweet, even for me. It was like eating spoons of sugar.

All washed down with a Rioja.

A really enjoyable evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I only had a small part of it. Then my mam came home with a garlic chicken wrap from Supermac's for me. :o

Love it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I made apple spiced pork chops for dinner, from this recipe. Pork chops with apple slices and onion, simmered in a concoction of chicken stock, cinnamon and nutmeg. Served it with creamy potatoes. Dear sweet jesus, it was divine.

No pics, because eating was a priority!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Roasties, roast chicken, stuffing, roast carrots, roast mushrooms/peppers and gravy.

YUM-MEEEEEEEEEE

29f32j6.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had home-made burgers with brioche buns and sweet potato fries.

I tried something new with both - I read a restaurant tip online about adding a tablespoon of mayo to the minced beef to keep it tender. (Sounds unappealing I know.) It was *so* effective. I like my burgers cooked through which can lead to a dried out burger experience. This was definitely the solution - flavourful and juicy.

For the fries, I washed and dried the raw sweet potato chips, then tossed them in a mixture of cornflour, chilli powder, garlic powder and salt, then drizzled with a couple of tablespoons of oil and baked at 210 for 25 minutes, turning once halfway.

Slapped some salad, onions and condiments onto those burgers and wow. We had ourselves a delicious feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We had home-made burgers with brioche buns and sweet potato fries.

I tried something new with both - I read a restaurant tip online about adding a tablespoon of mayo to the minced beef to keep it tender. (Sounds unappealing I know.) It was *so* effective. I like my burgers cooked through which can lead to a dried out burger experience. This was definitely the solution - flavourful and juicy.

For the fries, I washed and dried the raw sweet potato chips, then tossed them in a mixture of cornflour, chilli powder, garlic powder and salt, then drizzled with a couple of tablespoons of oil and baked at 210 for 25 minutes, turning once halfway.

Slapped some salad, onions and condiments onto those burgers and wow. We had ourselves a delicious feast.

Or just use fattier mince - fat content of at least 10-15% is best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I made a Thai green curry with green beans and peppers last night for friends
    Was lovely
    Clean plates left behind
    No pics ... 😣

My toddler and I made pizza, using the pizza dough recipe from the cooking club. Toppings were homemade tomato sauce, oregano, ham, black olives, sliced Camembert and Gruyère. It was yummy! (and the toddler was very proud of himself!)

I think I'd use slightly less dough, though, I prefer a thinner base.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Chorizo and butterbean stew with salad. I don't generally like spicy food, but the cooking chorizo in my local butchers is soooo tasty that I don't even care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

328652.jpg

On Saturday we went to Market Kitchen in Ballina. I got a chicken arrabiatta which was delicious and massive. OH had a filo 'basket' of cajun chicken and spicy wedges and her sister had rosemary and garlic chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks amazing hardcopy - must check that place out if I'm ever in Ballina!

Pan fried duck breasts (€4 for 2 in Aldi)
    Roast beetroot, salsify, carrot (all from the garden).
    Sautéed beet leaves and stalks.
    Carrot tops pesto.
    Boulangere potatoes.
    Kriek, apple and star anise sauce.

5brwnH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

So i did my own take on chilli tonight.

Cooked mince
    Seasoned with loads of black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
    Threw in baby mushrooms, yellow pepper and red onion.
    Threw in 2 teaspoons of smoked chipotle paste.
    Then added a tin of chopped tomatoes.
    Simmered for half an hour.

I forgot to get kidney beans to add to it :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement