Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I had chickien keivs and brocolli. Not very adventurours but tasty all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Full Christmass dinner at the weekend, turkey smoked on the Braai and then put in the dish to rest. The pic only shows the bird and the gluten free homemade stuffing :)
    Turkeyandstuff_zps42ca8821.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made a favourite of mine yesterday, pasta with leeks and blue cheese. Leeks were so tough, they were pretty much inedible. :( So really we had pasta and blue cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Just about to tuck into this now. Maggie so juicy garlic chicken and colcannon. There's even an extra portion for tomorrow! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Just made this giant cottage pie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Just made this giant cottage pie

Can I come for dinner? My fav :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Venison burger, chips, prawns in coriander and chilli... and... Carrot and carmalised otnions, puree... Onions with demarra sugar, carrots with coriander and star anise, blitzed.. and strained....

desert

Panna Cotta with a touch of ameretto, strawberry juice jelly tee hee...

8fVxEV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Your panacotta is so pretty Oblomov!

Tonight was quesidillas, corn tortillas with cheddar, blackened peppers and onions and shredded poached chicken fillet toasted on a hot skillet. It looks a bit greasy but was a bit awesome. Lots of a nice chipotle hot sauce with.

3FDAE416-64DA-4EDE-8E98-5B46458F2125_zpswrgsxucg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I bought a Tesco margarita pizza and topped it with mushroom, salami, sundried tomato paste, feta, and fresh basil. More garlic needed in future, but my favourite pizza for a fraction of the cost of calling Dominoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Tonight was quesidillas, corn tortillas with cheddar, blackened peppers and onions and shredded poached chicken fillet toasted on a hot skillet. It looks a bit greasy but was a bit awesome. Lots of a nice chipotle hot sauce with.

If you just lightly brush them with some oil before and put them in a dry frying pan they don't get too greasy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Thank you.

And tasted ... molto buona

Ideally, wanted a suitable flute rather than a timbler, and more even with the two colours.

But, that's me.

Overflow wrote: »
    If you just lightly brush them with some oil before and put them in a dry frying pan they don't get too greasy ;)

Why thank you :)

No oil used in the toasting of the quesidillas at all, just tortilla directly on a seasoned cast iron skillet. I think the greasy looking bit is just my poor photography skills :)

Again with the horrendous food photos. This does not look awesome because of the bright lights and pale colours on pale plate but, oh my. Excellent meat loaf cooked in a bath of red ale, with the slices fried on both cut sides for extra crust, really very good mash (creamy with a little mustard) and a creamy gravy made with the red ale & meat juices from the meatloaf

I'm so sad that I'm too full to eat more* :(

589E43D9-6EEF-476D-A73B-8AED146B5D76_zps2zijadcu.jpg

*HOWEVER there is a high chance of a meatloaf sandwich tomorrow at some stage.

Salmon and courgette quiche, it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Again with the horrendous food photos. This does not look awesome because of the bright lights and pale colours on pale plate but, oh my. Excellent meat loaf cooked in a bath of red ale, with the slices fried on both cut sides for extra crust, really very good mash (creamy with a little mustard) and a creamy gravy made with the red ale & meat juices from the meatloaf

I'm so sad that I'm too full to eat more* :(

*HOWEVER there is a high chance of a meatloaf sandwich tomorrow at some stage.

Do you have a tried and tested recipe for meatloaf MissF? It's something i've always wanted to try but haven't got around to yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Home made chicken kievs last night coated in Panko breadcrumbs. They were really lovely but I haven't mastered keeping the garlic butter inside :(

Kurumba wrote: »
    Do you have a tried and tested recipe for meatloaf MissF? It's something i've always wanted to try but haven't got around to yet.

It's not my recipe but I will get it for you this evening. It was so nice and I think only about 5 things in it.

So my friend is a sweetie and sent this on to me just now, this made the nicest, moistest, most flavorsome meatloaf I've had in a while. It's not that sort of American style with the ketchup glaze but it is awesome indeed.

Ingredients (for meat loaf & gravy)

500g beef mince
    500g pork mince
    One onion
    150g panko bread crumbs,
    500ml red ale,
    salt
    pepper
    beef stock pot
    Worcestershire sauce
    soy sauce
    cream
    butter
    flour

Meatloaf Method

Finely chop the onion and brown in a pan with a knob of butter and a pinch of salt. Allow to cool slightly. Mix onion with the meat and bread crumbs, add a splash of both Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce as well as salt and pepper. Knead thoroughly so all ingredients are mixed. Form into loaf and put in oven dish leaving room on all sides.

Add half the beer to the bottom of the oven dish, cover with foil and cook at 150 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, add beef stock pot to the broth and turn the temperature to 220 degrees. When the top of the loaf is golden brown, remove from the oven and place on rack to cool slightly.

Gravy (this makes a slightly bitter, creamy, beer-y tasting gravy that reminds me of the cheese & beer mixture you make for Welsh Rarebit or almost like how fondue tastes at first, that wine & cheese mix. So if you don't like that sort of a thing it might be an idea to use your normal gravy recipe. I love the stuff and did eat it with a spoon last night but I know some people are not fond)

Make a simple roux with flour and butter, add in the broth from the dish and the rest of the beer. Bring to a boil, add a healthy splash of cream, taste to with pepper and Worcestershire sauce.

Serving (with optional extra frying)

Slice the loaf and brown in a pan with butter on both sides. Serve with potatoes and veg of your own preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Gambas pil pil for a snack this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shin of beef stew, with spuds, carrots, celery, turnip & barley. The Kids nearly licked the design off the plates. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today we had roast rib of beef, broccoli, carrots and beef-y gravy.

It was thoroughly delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I had Carbonara today.

2 whole eggs and one egg yolk with Parmesan and Black Pepper for the sauce.

Pancetta with one Denny Rasher. :)

Anybody know where I can pick up some Guanciale in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Rack of Lamb, creamy spinach, creamy buttery scallion mash, and a red wine sauce-type thing, with mushrooms and onions.

All washed down with chocolate stout :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Roast chicken, coconut rice and Gado Gado Indonesian salad. Pecan pie and cream for dessert. Too much wine. Still drinking the wine.

Mediterranean style stuffed peppers, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Roast chicken, coconut rice and Gado Gado Indonesian salad. Pecan pie and cream for dessert. Too much wine. Still drinking the wine.

Hows the head?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Kitchen Sink dinner last night:

Homemade Mixed Seafood Egg Fried Rice. :) I may way too much rice though :o

10417466_745940115491087_2065649787835200858_n.jpg?oh=94137de71823416908865bccdef9c283&oe=5520253A

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Cabbage parcels in tomato sauce-really tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

WEnt to Fallon and Byrne today and bought loads of different tomtoes.

Dark red ones, weird stripey ones, teeny tiny ones, green ones, yellow ones and a 1 normal tomato.

So i made a small tomato and cheese quiche.

And chopped all the tomatoes up roughly, tossed them in some roasted garlic, salt and pepper.

And an eclair for desert.

I would have taken a pic but a) i was hungry and b) my phone is on the fritz and wont take pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Cooked a pretty tasty mince dish earlier:

Fried the mince with garlic, red onion, green pepper, celery. Added a tin of tomatoes, paprika, tumeric, oregano, black pepper, cayenne & salt.
    Chopped up some courgette spaghetti and boiled that.
    An avocado, lime juice, olive oil, water & natural yoghurt into the blender for cooling sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement