Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Pan seared scallops with black pudding, pak choi and red pepper.

10407339_10154797849085333_1015041498814461925_n.jpg?oh=eee973dfa26add733a9529ab02392ba0&oe=54E1FFD3&__gda__=1427317932_a6971aa1d6a1fbd5d8ac71459e8052d7

First time I've cooked scallops - they were really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Striploin steaks, buttery creamy scallion mash and Rioja and beer for us tonight.

I never used to drink red wine, I couldn't stand the stuff, but I really love the Rioja wines, and Chilean cabernet sauvignon, so good, especially the Rioja 2008 reserva from Aldi, its my fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Kept it really simple tonight - sirloin steak cooked medium rare with spinach cooked in butter and garlic. It was delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hows the head?:D

Not 100%, but not too bad. I've delayed the hangover proper by starting to drink again today at 3pm. :) I went to an American thanksgiving dinner! We divided the cooking between us. I was given the hallowed task of preparing the turkey, stuffing and gravy. I smeared a 14lb turkey with butter and seasoned just with salt and pepper. (I would have liked to brine it, but I live in an apartment at the moment and don't have a cool place to leave the brine and turkey :() I roasted it breast-down for just 2.5 hours and it was the most succulent, juicy bird I've ever cooked. And it was only Lidl's finest!

I also made a delicious stuffing from Cox's apples, onions, breadcrumbs, sausagemeat, and the usual green herbs...and it may have been topped with smoked streaky bacon and slabs of butter before roasting.

I made the gravy from a stock that I left simmering overnight in the slow cooker - onion, celery, carrot, chicken drumsticks, turkey neck, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns. I mixed this stock with the golden juices from the roasted bird before making the gravy and it was really, really good. I have a pint of delicious stock leftover now for Christmas. :)

The dishes brought by the others:

Fresh baked bread rolls and honey pecan butter
    Candied yams
    Jalapeno cream cheese baked spinach
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    Green salad

And for dessert...chocolate chip pie, warm apple pie and pumpkin pie - all home-made - with cream and ice cream.

(I wish I could post photos but I'm too new a user!)

And a lot of wine and beer and other treats.

And being Americans, they all go to bed early so we are already home and tucked up for the evening with a nightcap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Home made chicken kievs last night coated in Panko breadcrumbs. They were really lovely but I haven't mastered keeping the garlic butter inside :(

Hiya,

I normally fry the breaded chicken breast and then just pour melted garlic butter over them when serving

HTH

Loire.

• Advertisement

Making my first stew with beef cheek today....it's been in the slow cooker all day sending out wafts of goodness. Just sampled it there and oh man is it good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I slow-cooked a ham fillet overnight in orange juice, orange zest, fresh ginger, cloves, star anise, bay leaves & peppercorns. Today it went into the oven for an hour covered in maple syrup & mustard. DEAR JESUS IT WAS SO GOOD. The crusty bits on the outside of the meat were like magic.

We ate it with buttery, creamy mash and steamed green cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I slow-cooked a ham fillet overnight in orange juice, orange zest, fresh ginger, cloves, star anise, bay leaves & peppercorns. Today it went into the oven for an hour covered in maple syrup & mustard. DEAR JESUS IT WAS SO GOOD. The crusty bits on the outside of the meat were like magic.

Any chance you could post that recipe? Sounds delicious!

zzxx wrote: »
    Any chance you could post that recipe? Sounds delicious!

No recipe, it was just made up! All ingredients listed above so should be easy enough to recreate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loire wrote: »
    Hiya,

I normally fry the breaded chicken breast and then just pour melted garlic butter over them when serving

HTH

Loire.

Thanks!
    That's what I'll be doing in future too - trying to cut the perfect pocket in a chicken breast is more trouble than it's worth :)

• Advertisement

Tonight we're having bacon and cabbage.

I underestimated how long it'd take to cook the bacon, so hopefully it doesn't take too much longer. I am starving. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I had Elephant and Castle wings last night for dinner. OMFG they were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Spinach and ricotta tortellini with pesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Spinach and ricotta lasagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night was steak and a mountain of root veg.

I was half way through before I remembered to take a pick.

Steak was topped with a quick sauce of spring onions and Jameson.

329417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Nigella's "nursery fish pie"...ultimate comfort food! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

On Saturday night we went out to Super Miss Sue in Dublin for a friend's birthday. It's alright. Quite expensive and the food was grand. I'd rather hit the chippers there if I was going again.

I had fritto misto (plate of mixed deep fried sea food with some lime & chili mayo) and a side of crab macaroni & cheese. A quite scabbily sized side of crab macaroni & cheese for €6 at that. Unfortunately as the chip shop part isn't separated from the restaurant you come home with a distinct waft of fried food from your clothes, I was getting flashbacks to 2001 and coming home from a nightshift in supermacs!

51C9CDCC-6068-4D60-B223-2B631E0FC371_zpsx5balpfk.jpg

3AEF3963-52D5-4B98-AAE6-54E14AC7F728_zps1yrb0jlo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Then to make up for the scabby, very liquid, macaroni & cheese of the night before last night we had an enormous portion of home made mac & cheese with both bacon & ham and about 4 types of cheeses in it. Awesome!

cf2bb361-3efd-4f00-83bc-6b091f6a6ea6_zps25610dc1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Then to make up for the scabby, very liquid, macaroni & cheese of the night before last night we had an enormous portion of home made mac & cheese with both bacon & ham and about 4 types of cheeses in it. Awesome!
    Now THAT'S what I call Mac and cheese!

Tonight was spicy deep fried chicken wings, followed by reheated cabbage and bacon from last night, with gravy of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A very hearty beef and barley stew. Put it in the slow cooker this morning, then added the veg before I took the dogs for the walk this evening. Very good stuff.

photo_zps21bd2edd.jpg

Thanks!
    That's what I'll be doing in future too - trying to cut the perfect pocket in a chicken breast is more trouble than it's worth :)

I make sure to make loads of the garlic butter so it gets poured on the mash as well ;)

Making my first stew with beef cheek today....it's been in the slow cooker all day sending out wafts of goodness. Just sampled it there and oh man is it good!!!

This was the nicest stew we have ever eaten :) The kids asked for seconds, which is rare :pac: and I went to the begging bowl again myself.

Hiya,

That sounds amazing. How much orange juice did you use?

Loire.

Hiya,

That sounds amazing. How much orange juice did you use?

Loire.

We got a bag of oranges from Lidl, peeled them all with a potato peeler and then juiced them all. Threw all the peel and juice into the slow cooker and the rest into the bin. We were a few glasses of wine deep so it was all a bit slapdash!

PS We also topped up with water so the ham was fully covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

CaxB94Jl.jpg

Pinto bean and quinoa veg tacos (vaguely using this recipe) with spinach, cheese, avocado and my two salsas of the moment - jalapeno and chipotle.
    I bought corn tortillas and then baked them for a few minutes in the oven to shape them into shells, like this.
    It was delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight I wasn't in the mood to cook, so I rooted out some of the Tesco spinach and ricotta tortelloni. I wanted to jazz it up a bit, so I got some king prawns and a tomato and mascarpone sauce to make a meal out of it.

As it turns out, I really don't like mascarpone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tonight we had shin beef slow cooked in a rich beer gravy, with mash, peas and crusty bread. Warm apple pie and cream for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Tonight I made Spaghetti Bolognese.
    Looking forward to how the remainder will taste tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good Bolognese, crappy plate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement