Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Beef stir-fry with scallions, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, green bean and carrot. Didn't have any fresh chilli so had to use stuff from a jar so it wasn't as strong as it needed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Grilled chicken breast with avocado and bacon. Very tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Roast chicken, peas and mashed spuds for us tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Tonight I had the kitchen sink :P I had curry with just about everything in the house: chicken, lentils, peas, peppers, chopped carrots, onions, garlic, squueze of lemon, cheese, potatoes (which disappeared). I grated a carrot into it at the end of cooking because i love the look of it xD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Today was one of those days where nothing went right, so another comfort supper was required!
    A bowl of Tesco Finest baked beans, spiked with cayenne and black pepper and a little Frank's hot sauce, to which I added slices of black pudding, and roast kale and baby button sprouts. Sounds an odd combination but it was quite tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Hermione* wrote: »
    A bowl of Tesco Finest baked beans, spiked with cayenne and black pepper and a little Frank's hot sauce, to which I added slices of black pudding, and roast kale and baby button sprouts. .

Best of luck to whoever's sharing the bed with you tonight! ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Bassfish wrote: »
    Best of luck to whoever's sharing the bed with you tonight! ;-D
    Keeping myself company tonight :p

I always have herbal tea at nighttime anyway to aid digestion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Had a late night at the office tonight. Had a couple of scoops after & wanted nothing more than to grab a quality kebab & head back to the apartment. But decided to be good & do my Thursday night fridge clear out before I head home tomorrow.

Made a salad of diced scallions, tomato, cucumber, hard boiled eggs & salad cream. Whacked some wings in the oven & made a hot sauce with butter, Tabasco & the remnants of a bottle of 'Spontaneous Combustion'. Lush!

Empty fridge & a quality dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Had friends round. Butternut samosas to start with tomato chutney. Lamb madras with spinach and chickpeas for main with rice, peshwari naan, garlic naan, mango chutney, tsatziki, sour cream and fresh lime wedges. Dessert was Nigella's pavlova topped with cream and black cherries. The meringue was way too sweet! I'll stick to my usual recipe in future. Plenty of Indian beer to wash it all down. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

rosie16 wrote: »
    Tonight I had the kitchen sink :P I had curry with just about everything in the house: chicken, lentils, peas, peppers, chopped carrots, onions, garlic, squueze of lemon, cheese, potatoes (which disappeared). I grated a carrot into it at the end of cooking because i love the look of it xD

Looks yum!! Recipe?

I had stew for lunch and it kept me going til about 10 and then I was starving so made myself a bagel with cheese, chicken, ballymalloe relish, garlic mayo and salad was pretty damn tasty:DAlso had my first creme egg of the year -scrumdiddly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made a homemade lasagne and had it with a green salad, coleslaw AND garlic bread so piggery of the worst order but it was all yummy :)

gg2 wrote: »
    Looks yum!! Recipe?

No recipe really. I'm a kind of cook as i go person but here's roughly what I did:

I don't usually marinate the chicken but i did for a change. Chopped some garlic, dash of soy sauce, curry powder, cumin seed powder and tumeric and a squeeze of lemon. Left it for 3 hours. (the longer the better obviously).

Fried the chicken with the onions and garlic.
    And then everything went in. :p
    A squeeze of tomato puree from lidl or aldi. Water. The potatoes, the carrots, the peas, the lentils and the peppers. Today i cheated i used a jar of curry sauce. My favourite jar and the best are the ones in lidl. And they're only 85c!

So after that i brought it to the boil and left it to simmer for 40 mins. The carrots took longer than the last time I cooked it so that's why I potatoes disappeared.

Once it was cooked i grated a carrot into it and served with a sprinkle of cheese and patacks for a suitable kick.

Sorry about the lack of amounts and how much of everything but I just judge myself. I either put 2 or 3 chopped carrots in and 1 grated. 3 small spuds. 2 chicken fillets. 500g jar of curry sauce. 1 pepper. And i just poured the lentils and peas in-no measurements! lol

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tv7fLbirYE0/UCFUwTN_VaI/AAAAAAAAEIM/j22OENosv9U/s640/DSCN0620.jpg This brand does 4 or 5 different types: madras, jalfrezi, rogan josh etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

African chicken stew (kinda :-D)

Chicken drumsticks and thighs, scotch bonnets, peanut butter, sweet potato, tin of tomatoes, onions, red peppers, stock, plenty of cayenne pepper, ground cumin and coriander

Really tasty and all in one pot

IMAG0003_zpsbtnjrw3a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Elbow wrote: »

Chicken drumsticks and thighs, scotch bonnets, peanut butter, sweet potato, tin of tomatoes, onions, red peppers, stock, plenty of cayenne pepper, ground cumin and coriander

Really tasty and all in one pot

Looks savage, but I basically passed out just reading the words "scotch bonnet". You're far tougher than I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made lasagne last night, which is usually lovely, but I had to go to a meeting, and left instructions with himself to cook it for a certain length of time OR until the cheese was golden brown. He just went with the time I gave him and as the oven wasn't preheated, the cheese was not done.

Now I remember why I do all the cooking. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I made lasagne last night, which is usually lovely, but I had to go to a meeting, and left instructions with himself to cook it for a certain length of time OR until the cheese was golden brown. He just went with the time I gave him and as the oven wasn't preheated, the cheese was not done.

Now I remember why I do all the cooking. :rolleyes:

Disobedience can never be tolerated! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Elbow wrote: »

Ooh I'm definitely trying this! Always on the lookout for new one-pot recipes.

We were working quite late last night so popped in for fish and chips on the way home. It was amazing as it usually is when you're wrecked and starving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Dolbert wrote: »
    Ooh I'm definitely trying this! Always on the lookout for new one-pot recipes.

We were working quite late last night so popped in for fish and chips on the way home. It was amazing as it usually is when you're wrecked and starving!

It was my first time doing it and it's definitely one that will be done again

Recipe here

I left the seeds in the scotch bonnets though ;)

(Dont forget to remove the skin from the chicken)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just made 3 Lasagnes. Gordon Ramsey's recipe, but with peppers, mushrooms and paprika.

968963824CFE45ADB481A3581124E047-0000324795-0003480463-00800L-F8D58061BD1B463CBEA8E97389E7E01C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Scallops and chorizo, with garlic ciabatta toasts. Salad. White wine.

Good but the scallops shrivelled to nothing.

Was forced to raid fridge and eat leftover spag bol from during the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Bit boring tonight. A simple chicken stirfry with tonnes of root vegetables.

same as yesterday, curry round two! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had lasagne for dinner.

I'm sorry the photo doesn't make the lasagne look that great but it was delicious.
    It took me so long to chop all the veg into tiny pieces for the lasagne and all the veg for the salad; longer than you'd think!
    All that cooking and I was wrecked when I sat down to eat.

So, yeah, bit disappointed the lasagne didn't photograph well, but it did taste yum.

Salad was lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, peppers, gherkins, red onion and a drizzle of olive oil.

Seems everyone had lasagne this week!!!

117r7f8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I went to a festival last night (in sydney) and one of the ice cream shops (who do all sorts of weird and wonderful things with icecream) were doing 'festival food' but ice-cream
    One of which was a hot dog or 'Yeeeah Dawg'
    a chocolate gelato 'sausage' with raspberry 'ketchup' and passionfruit 'mustard' served in a sweet bun it was fantastic

289315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

hussey wrote: »
    I went to a festivam last night (in sydney) and one of the ice cream shops (who do all sorts of weird and wonderful things with icecream) were doing 'festival food' but ice-cream
    a chocolate gelato 'sausage' with raspberry 'ketchup' and passionfruit 'mustard' served in a sweet bun it was fantastic

That's a Heston invention! He created a chocolate hot dog, with a really delicate choc mousse "bun" and sweet sauces on one of his mad "wonderland"-type shows.

Amaaaazing to see someone has recreated it IRL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

fussyonion wrote: »
    We had lasagne for dinner.

Salad was lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, peppers, gherkins, red onion and a drizzle of olive oil.

Seems everyone had lasagne this week!!!

Your portion of lasagna is too cute :rolleyes:

hussey wrote: »
    I went to a festival last night (in sydney) and one of the ice cream shops (who do all sorts of weird and wonderful things with icecream) were doing 'festival food' but ice-cream

I actually closed my eyes trying to imagine the taste. I've never had one of these mad Hestonesque sense-boggling food; dessert burgers, sweet custard egg with dippy soldiers, etc. Would love to try.

Anyway, celebrating Mr Fox's birthday yesterday. While Peter Pan there waited for the clock to strike 12 as he does every year, I made a quickie cake-in-a-mug and stuck a candle.
    002_zps20223418.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas last night. I made the bases with half and half strong white and strong wholemeal flour and they were crisper and had a lovely flavour.
    Mine had roasted onion, courgette and peppers, crumbled feta and a drizzle of pesto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We were babysitting my nephew last night which meant I was up at 6.30am trying to play the "let's be quiet in an apartment" game with a hyper child. Luckily my wonderful OH took over dinner duties and served up amazing homemade steak burgers with salad and oven-baked sweet potato chips. The burger was sitting on a bed of pickled gherkin and beetroot. Very delicious! I tried my best but could not eat the whole lot :o

IMAG1414_zpse1beab81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Hot smoked salmon & calamari salad.
    Salt & chilli fried squid.
    Prawns in warm flavoured butter - lemon zest, nutmeg, dill, chilli flakes.
    Ciabatta pizza - chipotle & pineapple salsa with pecorino cheese grilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Last night I made a sausage, lentil and cabbage casserole with cider and djion.
    Tonight I made a bean and veg stew with polenta. It was nice but a bit bland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement