Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Lentil soup tonight, with the stock from cooking last night's ham.

Bit of soda bread, salami and cheese.

Very warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Penne with chorizo, tomatoes and cream....really yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

Last night I had Apache Pizza - 'Apache Special' & garlic bread in my car watching the drive-in movie (Back to the Future) at Dun Laoghaire. Yeah it was the original and a fun experience but very bloody cold - thank God for the blankets :)

Pizza wasn't great... you can't beat Dominos :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

MissF, your post inspired me! Dinner tonight was chorizo & potato quesadillas. Bought a nice bottle of chipotle hot sauce last weekend so had plenty of that with it too.

Was it the Heinz one? Its really good. €1 in SuperValu right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

No it's Kankun chipotle hot sauce, lovely stuff. Didn't know Heinz did one too, will keep an eye out for it next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

New range on special.. Euro each atm, chipotle is very good, must try the others.

http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Chilli-Sauces/News/Heinz-Launches-Brand-New-Chilli-Sauces-Range-to-Liven-Up-Mealtimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

MissF, your post inspired me! Dinner tonight was chorizo & potato quesadillas. Bought a nice bottle of chipotle hot sauce last weekend so had plenty of that with it too.

I had quesidillas and chorizo hot sauce again tonight! Over filled them so they were as messy as all hell but, man, happy food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chickpea and spinach curry, so spicy and lovely! Also had some of my homemade mango chutney with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

We had some glazed ham last night (tis the season!) and veggies.

Cold ham for lunch today. Nyom.

Snap, this was Saturday dinner with carrot & parsnip mash and roasties & cold ham with brown bread and bits for (pre-Carol singing) lunch Sunday. Delish....tis the simple things. :)

Last night was creamy pasta with brocolli & flaked salmon and some of jamie olivers chilli & garlic pesto added for a kick. Quick, satisfying dinner for a Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night I made San Bei Ji (Taiwanese three cup chicken), with steamed rice.

The night before was The Cooking Club's Chilli Beef stir fry but with steamed rice. Second helping for Mr Fox - he really loves this dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

An oxtail stew (oxenschwanzragout to the locals) seemed perfect for a bitterly cold evening here in Bern. I made it a bit too 'liquidy' so transferred the excess to another pot to reduce a bit. Got caught on a phone call, forgot about the other pot, but when I got to it it had the most delicious, concentrated, thick stock in it. I threw it back into the stew & it gave it the most wonderful depth of flavour. I'll be doing this in future. Probably the tastiest dish I have cooked for myself in ages. :)

The OH was out so I couldn't be bothered 'cooking'.

I had a 4 egg omelette, with a filling of tomato, scallion, cheese and German salami. It hit the spot.

Pissaladière, nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I tried my hand at my first cream sauce - garlic fried in butter, cream, a splash of milk because I didn't have much cream, and a good dollop of sundried tomato paste all mixed together and left to reduce down, then tossed with egg Penne and topped with a good sprinkle of parmesan. It was sodding delicious

I could get the hang of this cooking lark, I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

An oxtail stew (oxenschwanzragout to the locals) seemed perfect for a bitterly cold evening here in Bern. I made it a bit too 'liquidy' so transferred the excess to another pot to reduce a bit. Got caught on a phone call, forgot about the other pot, but when I got to it it had the most delicious, concentrated, thick stock in it. I threw it back into the stew & it gave it the most wonderful depth of flavour. I'll be doing this in future. Probably the tastiest dish I have cooked for myself in ages. :)

Hiya,

I'd love that recipe if you don't mind :)

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Cheap and cheerful coley fillet done in the halogen oven, along with some rice and salad.

1378749_10205408360557267_227118044838707621_n.jpg?oh=8b818bfae7f420048a97228421cf25b3&oe=551295C2&__gda__=1426689611_fd46a6c5f7976e070353af7eaedad060

and a lemsip.. :(

97f395e771.jpg

Had an awesome bowl of Keralan Chicken stew, perfect after a run in the cold rain this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Had an awesome bowl of Keralan Chicken stew, perfect after a run in the cold rain this evening.

Can you let me have a link or source for that recipe please?

Minder wrote: »
    Can you let me have a link or source for that recipe please?

It's from Camellia Panjabi's "50 Great Curries of India". I'll stick it in the Random Recipe Thread tomorrow? Book is in the kitchen, and kitchen is soooooo far away from where I'm sitting now :p

Update: Oh look! Found a link here. Yay!

By the way I used bone-in chicken pieces. Flavour and all, you know the drill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken and chorizo stew with plenty of chilli - very warming.

• Advertisement

Pancake all around tonight.
    Mine with sardine sambal on the side.
    His with ham and cheese.
    Kids' with banana and nutella.

Was at a little party tonight and didn't plan for dinner (what with all the food groups I am not currently eating). I caved by 8.30pm and had two slices of pizza (refined carbs, white flour, dairy) which to my horror had bbq sauce instead of tomato (sugar-tastic). Hopefully I won't pay for it tomorrow in tummy troubles. :( Dinner fail.

A vegetarian scotch egg (leek & cheese 'sausage') a normal scotch egg and a bowl of twice cooked chips with 2 Doxies from Brown Paper Bag beers

Lasagne, tasty but a bit overcooked, as my second in command forgot to turn off the oven on time (I was working, just came back in time to eat it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had some glazed ham last night (tis the season!) and veggies.

Cold ham for lunch today. Nyom.
    amklo wrote: »
    Snap, this was Saturday dinner with carrot & parsnip mash and roasties & cold ham with brown bread and bits for (pre-Carol singing) lunch Sunday. Delish....tis the simple things. :)

We had glazed ham last sunday too:D

Mash with leeks, kale and mustard sauce.

6WCXLP.jpg

I seem to have fallen out of the habit of photographing my meals and posting them here.
    I have a few pics from the last couple of weeks that I'll post up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was rare ribeye; fried colcannon; carrot, Jerusalem artichoke, apple and ginger slaw; home pickled chillies.

7WAxXk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A vegetarian scotch egg (leek & cheese 'sausage') a normal scotch egg and a bowl of twice cut chips with 2 Doxies from Brown Paper Bag beers

Mulligans?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Mulligans?

Yep! Was jammers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yep! Was jammers!

I love Mulligans. When it opened first we used to go a lot (how hipsterish does that sound?!), every Friday for a couple of tasty beers and some nice food. But then baby came along and ALL that changed! :)

Love their Scotch Eggs (regular meaty ones mind!)

I was there a few backs for Sunday lunch and it was lovely.

Used to go to their sister pub W.J. Kavanagh's too, before it closed down. It was great because it was never as busy as Mulligans.

• Advertisement

The scotch eggs are awesome! Veggie ones aren't a patch on them, just had never had one before last night :)

WJ Kavanagh's opened up again under new management! Food isn't as nice as it was before but still have an excellent selection of beers. (or did the last time I was in there in the Summer)

Mmm beers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement