Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We had glazed ham last sunday too:D

Mash with leeks, kale and mustard sauce.

Yum!

How're you doing injury wise? Getting better?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

WJ Kavanagh's opened up again under new management! Food isn't as nice as it was before but still have an excellent selection of beers. (or did the last time I was in there in the Summer)
    Yeah I'd heard they'd opened again, haven't been back though. Tis on the list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I'd heard they'd opened again, haven't been back though. Tis on the list :pac:

I've been a few times in the last few months. Good selection of booze, lots of beers. And the food is better than most places. Definitely not to Mulligan's consistently fabulous pubfood standard, but they do great burgers, and I've had soup/sandwhiches for lunch that were very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night we had striploins with roast potatoes & fried green beans. Washed down with 4 different craft beers....mmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yum!

How're you doing injury wise? Getting better?

Yeah, getting better all the time, thanks.
    Back cooking a bit but sitting at the computer posting pics isn't good.

So, getting there but it's sooo sloooow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had seabass last night made with my own seasoned marinade.

(The fish-counter at my local Tesco does a beautiful flavoursome seabass in marinade but I wanted to do my own).

I just put some dried basil, dried oregano, turmeric, crushed garlic, pinch of chilli flakes, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper on a plate and coated each fillet in it. Left them on the plate for a few hours and dry-fried it and served with baby potaotes and roasted peppers, onions and carrots.

It tasted the very same as the Tesco one!
    Sorry no pics, I didn't have my camera on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Mental week at work so was in the mood for doing something nice last night. Was tight on time as soccer practice was on despite the conditions (froze and the young lad ran like mad for an hour and didnt notice the cold)

Anyways spatchcocked a small chicken and marinated it in Nandos medium before training. Bunged it in the oven with some home made seasoned wedges and served both with steamed greens.

Chicken was a little dry (my mistake) but the wedges and greens were good. Some French Red (Syrah, Cinsault etc) served a purpose though not quite a good match with the food!

Cooking for one tonight so have some Duck breasts which I havent quite worked out what do to with (might check that post some moons back from Awec). I do know I have a pear so will update tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

Butter Chicken
    ButterChicken_zps2a0feb18.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Went for the M&S Dine in for 2 deal last night. Rump steak, rosemary potatoes, raspberry panna cotta, good French red wine.

We added some buttered spinach for nourishment. :) It hit the spot.

My tummy issue has resolved so I'm back eating all the food groups (in moderation). ;)

Dinner tonight will be the festive delights of the Edinburgh Christmas markets, wahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Simple spaghetti carbonara in the restaurant upstairs in the Patriots Inn. Delicious.

that rice and peas above looks the biz!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Im very hungover. So rather than get my usual 3 in 1, i got thai.

I ordered from Zao.

Prawns wrapped in Chicken with broccoli, white wine sauce which was very heavy and boiled rice.

I am stuffed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A ribeye steak with home made oven chips, roasted tomatoes and sautéed mushrooms & onions.

2dvo2zr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Saturday night, steak night.....

Well really beef medallions topped with fried egg, oven-fried herb and onion potatoes, olive, feta and a green leaf salad.

47A961B9-5870-4B4A-9CA5-B62FA300AB7E_zpsd3pchudo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Chinese takeaway, beef with green pepper and rice and then homemade Chia Latte Creme Brûlée. Just yumm!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I love Mulligans. When it opened first we used to go a lot (how hipsterish does that sound?!), every Friday for a couple of tasty beers and some nice food. But then baby came along and ALL that changed! :)

Love their Scotch Eggs (regular meaty ones mind!)

I was there a few backs for Sunday lunch and it was lovely.

Used to go to their sister pub W.J. Kavanagh's too, before it closed down. It was great because it was never as busy as Mulligans.

Mulligans is class - had their autumnal tart there a few weeks ago and it was unbelievably good. WJ Kavanaghs is open again btw - the menu isn't as adventurous as mulligans but the quality is certainly there. I'm happily located equidistant between the two. It's a tough life when you have to choose between them :pac::pac:

Yeah, getting better all the time, thanks.
    Back cooking a bit but sitting at the computer posting pics isn't good.

So, getting there but it's sooo sloooow.

It's great to have you back (for those pictures alone) :cool:

fussyonion wrote: »
    (The fish-counter at my local Tesco does a beautiful flavoursome seabass in marinade but I wanted to do my own).

It tasted the very same as the Tesco one!
    Sorry me.

Not at all! It's why we're all here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Went to Marco Pierre White's this evening. Had their Xmas menu - prawn cocktail to start, beautifully pan fried salmon with spinach and bearnaise. Chunky chips came along with it but for me I would've preferred boiled new potatoes. Creme brulee for dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Mulled lamb with savoury sweet potato mash.....

331735.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Well had the duck last night but mixed bag....

Duck was good (thanks to Awec for the thread!). Baby spuds were good too. Mushrooms were ok.....but what in the name of all that is holy was I doing with the pear! That was a disaster. Wont bore you with the details but so did not work.....still lesson learned and learned while dining for one!

Sirloin roast on for tonight with parsnips and carrots coated in honey and roasting too! Garlic spuds to be served with.....hopefully a better mix than last night!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Christmas party last night. Went to Lemongrass in Naas. I had a Sushi Platter to share for a starter. Next time, I think I'll get it as a main, for myself.

84F60176F6EE4478825D6344855B5A7D-0000324795-0003704542-00800L-988896EDA78A46FD9FDEC3F039FD1448.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It was blisteringly cold last night in the Edinburgh Christmas market, and not even the delicious eats and the mulled wine could keep us warm! The food however was scrumptious.

Between the two of us we shared the following:
    1. Beef brisket with horseradish mayo in a brioche bun
    2. Bratwurst with fried onions, ketchup and mustard
    3. Sliced potatoes fried with bacon and garlic
    4. Churros with cinnamon, sugar and nutella
    5. A giant strawberry lace :)

We were too stuffed to eat anything else. Back at the hotel there may have been a bottle or three of prosecco shared!

It feels like Christmas now. The whole of Edinburgh is so darned festive!

Roast beef. First time using a meat thermometer too and they are so good! Perfectly medium-rare. Had this with lovely, buttery mash and honey-glazed carrots.

Made soup also and had this for lunch - potato, onion, carrots, leak, celery and mushrooms - basically, the full compliment and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Beef Rendang on basmati rice

2cnw7yh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Made Jamie Oliver's "A Cracking Burger" recipe. It's my favourite everyday burger recipe...not that we have them everyday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Did a chorizo and red pepper stew (from Jamie Oliver's YouTube) last night, was shockingly easy even if I did put in too much water, the 2L mentioned is wayyy too much. Definitely one to make again.

The soda bread was homemade by my gran :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Stir fried prawns and noodles, dressed with sesame oil and soy. I left cooking too late to do anything fancy, but it was tasty and it hit the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Used to go to their sister pub W.J. Kavanagh's too, before it closed down. It was great because it was never as busy as Mulligans.

Kavanagh's was lovely but location is what hurt it, I think. Dorset Street is far from salubrious and just not somewhere you'd head to for a few drinks. It's so close to town that people living in the area would just go there and not be in fairly rundown surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ive recently started to learn to cook.
    Yesterday i did roast pork with roast potatoes and roast carrots and parsnips.
    It tasted excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Kavanagh's was lovely but location is what hurt it, I think. Dorset Street is far from salubrious and just not somewhere you'd head to for a few drinks. It's so close to town that people living in the area would just go there and not be in fairly rundown surroundings.

Well the location of Mulligans is hardly in Knightsbridge like territory either. But I suppose the pull of Stoneybatter is that it's in a prime hipsterville area.

According to the owners, the reason why Kavanaghs closed is because they couldn't put the same time and effort into it as Mulligans and their other activities like their gypsy brewing venture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement