Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well the location of Mulligans is hardly in Knightsbridge like territory either. But I suppose the pull of Stoneybatter is that it's in a prime hipsterville area.

According to the owners, the reason why Kavanaghs closed is because they couldn't put the same time and effort into it as Mulligans and their other activities like their gypsy brewing venture.

It's back open now, think some of the previous staff may be involved. From what I heard, there was in issue with the landlord and rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Christmas Day dry run of sorts. Someone suggested (think it was Loire) serving a whole roasted celeriac for my vegan sister.
    Used this recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/herb-baked-celeriac but instead of mashing it and adding butter, we just carved it whole.
    Think it will go down a treat but I couldn't eat a whole one! :rolleyes:
    Sorry for the blurry pic
    1A1D736F-FABE-4D0F-8286-808898DE92AB_zps5l5odult.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Breakfast for dinner.

Sausages, white pudding and egg on a sandwhich.

Im stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

herisson wrote: »
    Breakfast for dinner.

Im stuffed.

Reminds me of a time when myself & Mrs Loire moved in together. One night at about midnight we were both starving, hopped out and made an unmerciful large fry! It was the best thing ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well the location of Mulligans is hardly in Knightsbridge like territory either. But I suppose the pull of Stoneybatter is that it's in a prime hipsterville area.

Yup, HUGE difference between the areas.

I'm not doubting the official reasons given being part of it, but having lived in the area for many years, Dorset Street is not currently a popular place to go for a few drinks and some food. I liked the general area, but Dorset was somewhere I didn't like walking down after 9pm, it was rough as hell. Only did it if I had to. But in fairness to the owners, areas won't pick up unless people take a chance on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

herisson wrote: »
    Breakfast for dinner.

Im stuffed.

Oh, I LOVE having a fry up for dinner! :) Only as an occasional treat, mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's back open now, think some of the previous staff may be involved. From what I heard, there was in issue with the landlord and rents.

Yeah it was only closed for a short while. I mentioned the reason they gave for closing earlier in this thread, but rather then discussing it any further here, there's a full thread about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

10 hour slow cooked beef. Mam got a load of really tough beef off her boss, think it's a round roast. She cooked half of it yesterday, roasted in the oven and it was so dry and tasteless.

I took the other half home with me, about a kilo, and cooked it low and slow all day while I was in work with a broth of rich beef stock, onions, garlic, bay leaves and splashes of Worcestershire, balsamic, red wine and liquid smoke as well as some dried herbs and spices.

Came home and lashed together a beef gravy from the cooking liquid and shredded the beef chunk.

Fresh bap, fancy mustard, cold beer. Take that, Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Where can you get liquid smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

J Mysterio wrote: »

Someone mentioned Fallon & Byrne before, assuming you're in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Slow cooked Spag Bol. Really good and I have a load of it packed for lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Day 2 lasagne (a think of beauty & wonder) and a salad (a lunchbox full of spinach leaves with a lazy splash of red wine vinegar and an accidental centimetre of olive oil)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

If based in Dublin, most of the Fresh supermarkets stock it. I got mine in the one in Grand Canal like a year ago and there's barely 100mls gone out of it cos a little goes a seriously long way.

Pro tip that I actually got from Sparks over in the cooking club - add a bit at the end and the smokey flavour hangs around better than if it's in the cooking liquid from the start.

I use it for pulled pork and chili among other things. Seriously good investment cos I'll probably have the bottle for another 5 years!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Fallon & Byrne before, assuming you're in Dublin?

No, Limerick.

Was hoping (against hope) the answer might be Dunnes or Tesco!

If based in Dublin, most of the Fresh supermarkets stock it. I got mine in the one in Grand Canal like a year ago and there's barely 100mls gone out of it cos a little goes a seriously long way.

Pro tip that I actually got from Sparks over in the cooking club - add a bit at the end and the smokey flavour hangs around better than if it's in the cooking liquid from the start.

I use it for pulled pork and chili among other things. Seriously good investment cos I'll probably have the bottle for another 5 years!

Maybe just get a bottle next time i'm up...

Early dinner on a dirty dirty evening - Chicken Paprikash with rice. Having seconds. Yum.

IMG_20141216_170449_zpshfldns30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Early dinner on a dirty dirty evening - Chicken Paprikash with rice. Having seconds. Yum.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/whatsfordindins/IMG_20141216_170449_zpshfldns30.jpg
    Any chance of the recipe?

I'm having spag bol tonight. I ended up taking it out of the slow cooker and instead cooking it on the hob at a lower temperature for a longer time.

Any chance of the recipe?.

Here you go. I used a whole chicken for today, which is the norm for this dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I got some on Amazon! They've got loads of varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Chicken Noodle broth. Lovely, so it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Chicken, tarragon and fennel pie with a puff pastry lid, and some green beans. Verrrry excited for my leftovers for lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Eddie Rockets cheese dog and a side of fries & onion rings. Felt like hell in a handbasket afterwards, really think food that absorbs lots of oil (ie onion rings) isn't so much my friend these days. SIGH.

also - wow Eddie Rockets is still amazingly expensive. My little sister got a small/cereal sized bowl of (ok) chicken wings for €8 something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Broccoli and smoked salmon pasta bake, it was lovely.
    I also made queen cakes with lemony fondant icing and chocolate sprinkles, but I couldn't eat those as they were for the crèche Christmas party. Boo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Well, Aldi steaks come in packs of two and i live all by my lonesomes, so i was tragically forced to have delicious steak both Sunday and Tuesday night. on the humanity.

GmEmQmn.jpg
    URZshPs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Couple of recent meals:

Huge free range pork chop, couscous with cashews and peas, carrots, thyme and mustard sauce (iirc).

6zPb7h.jpg

Duck breast, potato rosti, wilted spinach, roast beetroot and pear.

4YMNYw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Oooh,where did you get the pork beer_revolu?

also - wow Eddie Rockets is still amazingly expensive. My little sister got a small/cereal sized bowl of (ok) chicken wings for €8 something.

Eddie Rocket's, Empty Pockets:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Last night I had a 'clear the fridge' dinner and I made it up as I went along. I felt doom in my bones as I added yet another incongruous ingredient, one after another, to a mystery dish...but it turned out great and made a good lunch today, too. :)

I fried up some chorizo and chicken and added a can of tomatoes: so far so good. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, sugar and worcestershire sauce, and added some sliced peppers from a jar, and then a handful of chopped jalapenos. Here's where it gets weird. I added a can of mushroom soup, mixed it with pasta and baked it with a load of cheese on top.

It was great. :pac:

I felt doom in my bones as I added yet another incongruous ingredient

:pac:

• Advertisement

dibkins wrote: »
    Oooh,where did you get the pork beer_revolu?

We buy a pig and divide it in 4 amongst a few friends. I've yet to taste better pork.

M&S do pretty good English pork.
    My butcher does good quality local pork too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement