Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks Loire and Allandanyways. I've never had crab before but I'm looking forward to trying it. I actually picked up that crab meat in Lidl this evening so looking forward to trying it out.

Tonight for dinner we're having goose fillets, mashed spuds, and peas.

I've a bottle of red to finish off, so will do so tonight. Badly needed after spending the day fighting my way through crowds in supermarkets, shops, the streets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

That crab in lidl is already cooked, so I just add it to the pasta rather than cooking it. I left it out of the fridge (opened) for 15 mins to come up to temp.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I made my turkey-bone soup today with all intentions of freezing it to have after Christmas. Dinner was meant to by chipper this evening. But The Kids decided that the soup was the preferred option & that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

No worries! It's a dish you can throw together in 10 mins, so super handy to have.

Ingredients:
    1 pack fresh crab meat (€2.99 in Lidl at the mo!)

Sounds lovely, I reckon it would also work well with pan fried fresh prawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    That crab in lidl is already cooked, so I just add it to the pasta rather than cooking it. I left it out of the fridge (opened) for 15 mins to come up to temp.

Loire.

I've never seen crab meat for sale that wasn't cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I've never seen crab meat for sale that wasn't cooked.

Sorry, I should have said that. The crab meat is indeed cooked. I just give it a minute in the pan to mix with the veg and then the pasta and then add the cream etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Very late dinner last night, made The Cooking Club's Spicy Thai Noodle Soup with leftover turkey. Delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Turkey fajitas tonight. :)

Surprisingly delish.

Too delish, as I ate too much and now someone will need to roll me to bed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A day late, but here was the starter from xmas dinner:
    332918.JPG

That's Thomas Keller's potato blini recipe, a beet and balsalmic gel disk, smoked salmon, a dill, goats cheese and creme freche topping with dill garnish, above it some pickled mustard seeds on more of the goats cheese and creme freche, and in the corner some pomegranate gel.

And here's the dessert:
    332919.JPG

That's seared bread and butter pudding (fairly normal recipe with the crusts cut off, some nutmeg and vanilla in the custard and cooked in a water bath), on a bed of molten vanilla and honey ice cream with some blackberries, strawberries, blackberry gel and pomegranate gel and a tablespoon or two of white vanilla chocolate shavings.

Notes for next time: Assign guards to prevent people eating all the garnish before service, only use 0.5% agar for the gel instead of 1% (though 2.5% is fine for the beet gel), and cook the blinis the day before and keep in the fridge (they're fine five minutes after cooking them, but cooking blinis while trying to get the roast spuds, carrots, parsnips and the celeriac mash done is a pain and I lost a pan of them to burning).

edit: Found better photos (I wasn't taking them, I was busy :D ) and they also had these two which were nice:

332917.JPG

332920.JPG

(The latex exam gloves are normally what I use for chopping chillis, but here they're because I had three bandaids on my fingers and some steristrips - boning knives and fingers just don't get on - and I didn't want someone getting one as an accidental bonus garnish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last of the leftovers gone into a hash tonight. Chorizo, onions, meatballs, pork belly, baby potatoes and some cubes of gruyere (added at the end) fried until caramelised and crispy in parts (very close to burnt in parts...) Added a sliced green chili, ripe avocado & diced tomatoes to mine and none to my 'green stuff' fearing buddies plate. We both got a poached egg. <rubs belly>

0abd6a25-dbec-41cc-9939-23beb94f9375_zps3ea1f982.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Last of the leftovers gone? I wish!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Last of the leftovers gone into a hash tonight. Chorizo, onions, meatballs, pork belly, baby potatoes and some cubes of gruyere (added at the end) fried until caramelised and crispy in parts (very close to burnt in parts...) Added a sliced green chili, ripe avocado & diced tomatoes to mine and none to my 'green stuff' fearing buddies plate. We both got a poached egg. <rubs belly>
    Can you adopt me please? I'm housetrained!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last of the leftovers gone? I wish!!! :)

We're very lucky, in a way, to only have the leftovers of a 2 person Scandinavian Christmas dinner and a small parcel of turkey leftovers from my Mam's place. No entire bird & ham to deal with round here :)
    Can you adopt me please? I'm housetrained!

Always room for a little Orphan An(geldelight)nie chez Flitworth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I'm going to treat myself to a KFC later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Thanks Loire and Allandanyways. I've never had crab before but I'm looking forward to trying it. I actually picked up that crab meat in Lidl this evening so looking forward to trying it out.

Tonight for dinner we're having goose fillets, mashed spuds, and peas.

I've a bottle of red to finish off, so will do so tonight. Badly needed after spending the day fighting my way through crowds in supermarkets, shops, the streets etc.

May I ask where you got the goose fillets? I am fond of goose and would stock up on fillets in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Miaireland wrote: »
    May I ask where you got the goose fillets? I am fond of goose and would stock up on fillets in the freezer.
    Lidl have frozen goose crowns which are easily filleted once defrosted. Had them for Christmas dinner and they were huge.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Hiya :) I got them from my local butchers. I will PM you the name of them.

A big bowl of Irish stew this evening, by the open fire. Poifect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Mashed potato with lots of butter
    Roasties with parsley, cooked in butter and olive oil
    Turkey crown
    Large mushrooms served with garlic butter, cheddar, parsley & ground black pepper
    Boiled carrots
    All topped off with turkey gravy made with the aid of the boiled carrot water and turkey juice

:p

My MIL has been feeding me the last two nights.

Last night was leek, potato and celeriac soup with soft buttered rolls, followed by roast lamb with mash, carrots, peas and sprouts, with lovely lamby gravy. Dessert was sherry trifle and Christmas cake.

Tonight was melon salad, followed by fillet steak, garlic mushroom sauce, chips and mixed green salad. Dessert was banoffee and more Christmas cake.

Proper Irish mammy dinners. :)

Needless to say there was plenty of vino consumed also. :pac:

• Advertisement

Last night was a bacon, mushroom and tomato creamy pasta.

Tonight is chicken and mushroom creamy pasta.

I'm obsessed with creamy pasta at the moment. They're my favourite type of pasta dish anyway, so its hardly surprising :o

I really want a fancy burger from a restaurant but unfortunately that won't happen tonight or tomorrow, I am however going out for dinner and drinks on Wednesday so I shall indulge myself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was roast chicken with lemongrass, jasmine rice, stir fried bok choi and choi sum with garlic, ginger and lemon grass, and a papaya salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Made the lentil and chorizo stew from the cooking club thread for the 2nd time last night, a quality dish for this time of year. Bottle of crianza and some grilled batch drizzled with extra virgin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Here's our late dinner sorted for later. Happy New Year folks. €30 in Avoca.

EDD14278C6BC4965865C60D6379FEB48-0000324795-0003710533-00800L-52556124C10842A8B411AE68EBA1E5F6.jpg

Made Bazmo's Chicken Balti from the cooking club, with steamed basmati. Yummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A truly delicious shepherds pie that I had loads of time to make so I could reduce the mince for ages, contemplating having the left overs now...

Two nights ago was classic Irish wedding fare: melon, soup, roast beef, mini desserts.

Last night the MIL did a repeat of Christmas dinner and it was pure scrumptiousness. All the usuals.

Home tonight and knackered. Frozen pizza, garlic bread, coleslaw and cucumber.

Roight. I seriously need to do some cooking! Let the deliciousness of 2015 commence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Had a fry for dinner. :o

Three ALDI apple pork sausages, two rashers, two white pudding and two black pudding. Eggs and baked beans were offered but don't eat either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Made dinner with my 10 year old daughter who requested sticky wings. So we made fried rice with prawns, sticky wings, braised ribs, greens with garlic and ginger and chicken & sweetcorn soup. No beer, wine or any other type of booze - having a dry January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Roast goose with potato stuffing in in laws. They love it I think its yuck. A bird consisting only of the equivalent of dark turkey leg meat and god it was so dry and stringy and the stuffing was so fatty. Hated it to be honest but are the goose to be polite but couldn't stomach the stuffing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement