Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Roasted salmon with a provencal style stew of potatoes, peppers & olives cooked with lemon which was really tasty. Lots of crackers and stilton for dessert - feeling full :o

My OH made us one hell of a New Year's roast last night. Roast venison well seasoned with fresh herbs and layers of bacon strips, roast potatoes and parsnips, boiled carrots, mash, yorkshire puddings, stuffing balls and what I'm convinced is the best gravy I've ever tasted. Fair play to her I have to say :)

Sorry about the low res pic, really doesn't do it justice...

10zr4ec.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Can I ask the folks who have a pizza stone where they got them from? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Smidge wrote: »
    Can I ask the folks who have a pizza stone where they got them from? Thanks :)

The main pizza stone available is Jamie Oliver's. I saw loads in Clerys on Christmas Eve. Arnotts and Debenhams will have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have a look through these search results.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A cheese, chicken & bacon pasta bake using up the last of our Christmas cheeses. Bye bye Christmas cheeses, bye bye. You'll be missed but your legacy will live on in the fact that my jeans are leaving marks on me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

stankratz wrote: »
    My OH made us one hell of a New Year's roast last night. Roast venison well seasoned with fresh herbs and layers of bacon strips, roast potatoes and parsnips, boiled carrots, mash, yorkshire puddings, stuffing balls and what I'm convinced is the best gravy I've ever tasted. Fair play to her I have to say :)

I think we're going to need bigger plates! :)

That looks delish!

I think we're going to need bigger plates! :)

That looks delish!

Yeah it was bit overindulgent and excessive, but absolutely delish and we needed to make up for a lacklustre christmas dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

stankratz wrote: »

There's a part of the plate that has no food at all! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

On the basis of Christmas day the juniors asked for roast ham and turkey for dinner on NYD. Not one to disappoint I got a nice Turkey crown from my butcher and a ham from Tesco.

Served up last night with roast and mashed spuds, raw carrot sticks for the kids, peas and spiced cabbage for the elders. Loads of gravy and cranberry sauce left yours truly stuffed to the gills and all the family happy and content!

For the giggles I served an Oz sparkling Pinot/Chardonnay (as I had heard it was a good match) and it was. The little bit of fizz seemed to work with the ham especially. Traditionally I have gone with a medium Red for Turkey and Ham but now think Im converted (that said tonight I am reheating left overs and will check just to be sure....:D)

Happy New Year to all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

A very filling sweetcorn chowder with smoked bacon, potatoes and leeks. One bowl was more than enough and I've a big enough appetite! Definitely one for the freezer/lunches

c069b1e6-eebd-47a2-82e9-5fd0928ca3e9.jpg

Reheated cheesy chicken & bacon pasta bake. As no cheesy pasta bake is at its best after being reheated in a microwave (mmm fats separating out from things) I added diced tomatoes and a finely sliced green chili for some burn & sour to counteract the slight grease factor. Accompanied by a glass of Rioja brought up to an acceptable temperature in a water bath made of a big round tupperware tub I do indeed feel like Dinner MacGyver.

651f1323-89b5-4ebe-9167-eccd055eb2f5_zps2587fdea.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

A nice simple dinner tonight, maybe more suited to a summer's evening, but nourishing and tasty all the same.

Gambas pil pil (prawns with garlic and chilli), tomato salad and hummus. With some toasted ciabatta for all the yummy juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was Malaysian Ayam Percik that, according to a diner, looked like a car crash but very tasty.
    Made Naan to go with it but they turned out too brittle to mop the gravy, so I made pancakes instead.

IMG_20150103_163305_zpstpxlzggq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner tonight was Mamak mee Goreng - a stir fried curried yellow noodle dish with chicken, prawns, potato and bean shoots. Garnished with hard boiled eggs, chillies, spring onions and lime wedges.

Minder wrote: »
    Dinner tonight was Mamak mee Goreng - a stir fried curried yellow noodle dish with chicken, prawns, potato and bean shoots. Garnished with hard boiled eggs, chillies, spring onions and lime wedges.

Where's the fried tofu? :p
    I'd love me some mee goreng mamak now... with a bowl of cendol on the side, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sounds amazing. Do you have an electronic recipe handy by any chance?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sounds amazing. Do you have an electronic recipe handy by any chance?

I picked it out of Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape Southeast Asia cookbook. This link has the recipe or something very close to it.

http://mycookinggallery.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/mamak-mee-goreng-gordon-ramsay.html

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    ...with a bowl of cendol on the side, please.

Now that's something I haven't tried. Can you give me some pointers please Mrs F? The interweb is just confusing me with pictures of green noodley desserts.

Now that's something I haven't tried. Can you give me some pointers please Mrs F? The interweb is just confusing me with pictures of green noodley desserts.

That's exactly what it is. Pandan rice flour jelly noodles swimming in palm sugar flavoured coconut milk over shaved ice.

• Advertisement

and you eat/drink it as an accompaniment to the noodles or afterwards as a dessert?

and you eat/drink it as an accompaniment to the noodles or afterwards as a dessert?

Eaten during daytime usually between lunch to late afternoon, either on its own as snack, or for dessert after a meal.
    Can always be found in Mamak (Penang Indian Muslims) stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's exactly what it is. Pandan rice flour jelly noodles swimming in palm sugar flavoured coconut milk over shaved ice.

I couldn't find the love for the lurid, very sweet, shaved ice concoctions at all. Especially strange when they add sweetcorn!

I love pandan and coconut, though.

I couldn't find the love for the lurid, very sweet, shaved ice concoctions at all. Especially strange when they add sweetcorn!

I love pandan and coconut, though.

Mmmmmmm.... creamed corn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Mmmmmmm.... creamed corn....

My old housemate was a chef from N'awwlans, I'm almost afraid to try make it myself. Used to sit down and just eat a massive bowl of it by itself it was that good :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Cream of mushroom soup made with cepes that we collected earlier in the autumn. Lovely and mushroomy.

Boned and stuffed lamb loin roasted with root vegetables. Good eating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Nachos. 2 cheeses, home-made guac and salsa, a mound of jalapenos, sour cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nachos. 2 cheeses, home-made guac and salsa, a mound of jalapenos, sour cream.

This man likes his nachos. Good man.

• Advertisement

We went to Dublin Zoo today for a wander and on the way home hunger hit like a hammer so, in tribute to all the lionses and tigerses, we went to My Meat Wagon in Smithfield and ate a barnyard. A mixed meat board each, mine with fries and beans, his with fries and sausage (as an aside - anywhere that offers sausages on the side? A happy place).

Pulled pork, beef rib, quarter smoked chicken, onion ring & pickles. Star of show were the sausages (chorizo I think, full of heat and flavour), second was the beef rib and third the chicken. Oh my that chicken, nicest I've had anywhere, at all not just BBQ, in Dublin. So very good. The beans were, to my particular tastebuds, horrible. I hate regular tinned beans and they tasted like regular tinned beans with some porky bits thrown in. But I didn't have room to eat them around all the meat anyways so no big deal.

Was a good meal, highly recommend it to Dublin C&R'rs.

10010ce1-84ed-48cc-804a-9923ca2168f2_zps938fa981.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement