Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight I am having boneless BBQ ribs from the butchers. Bit of a dodgy stomach so only small meals can be eaten.

Had cottage pie and all in the fridge for dinner tonight and was really looking forward it with lashings of Red Leicester, feck sake. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Homemade half and half pizza.

One side was a pesto base, mushrooms, peppers, lashings of garlic, had been to the temple bar food market and got the pesto and some hard garlic cows cheese and mozzarella and a little bit of grated chedder for the top.

The other side was a sundried tomato pesto and passata base with chorizo and salami we got at the market too. Had some mushrooms and peppers on it too with the same cheese combo.

Have to say, it was bleeding savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Jambalaya with lots of seafood (a couple of scoops from the She Sells Sea Shells bucket in the Taste of the Sea).

5a80d70c-95dc-4982-8325-cfa7ec612c2a_zps85e00130.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Jambalaya with lots of seafood (a couple of scoops from the She Sells Sea Shells bucket in the Taste of the Sea).

:pac: That looks fab, have you got a recipe?

Not a recipe as such, it's something I tend to just throw together based on what I have at home. I think jambalaya is supposed to have celery in it but I can't stand the stuff. My jambalaya normally goes like so

Fry a diced onion with loads of garlic (diced 4 cloves last night before I got sick of it) and a couple of diced chilis (which you can have more or less of depending on taste) & diced peppers

Add in some chorizo or any hard spiced sausage

When the fat from the sausage starts leaching out add a cup of long grain rice and let it cook in the fat and onions for a couple of minutes, moving it around the pan.

Add in twice as much liquid as the amount of rice you're using (so I added 2 cups of stock) and some diced tomato, last night I added 4 but I like a wet jambalaya. Stir it all around & add salt

Turn the heat down low-ish & leave it to cook till the rice is cooked through, don't stir very often. Can't remember off the top of my head how long this takes but longer than if you were just cooking rice in boiling water

I nearly always used cooked meat/fish/shellfish for this so 10 minutes towards the end I throw it in to heat up. I also throw in a cup of frozen peas. Taste for seasoning & add more if necessary

I'm not great at writing recipes and sort of make up what I cook as I go along! If this is too weird sounding to follow Delia does an awesome jambalaya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Attempted a chickpea and sweet potato curry tonight for the first time.

It did not go well. Unless of course it's supposed to be a watery load of mush in which case I nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Massive great veggie stir fry. Had loads of veggies wot needed to be used up and an open pack of noodles lurking in the back of the cupboard. Just a dash of dark soy sauce added.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spicy chicken wings and chips :D. It was a day of emotional turmoil in our house, and we're off sugar so junk dinners had to replace chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Not a recipe as such, it's something I tend to just throw together based on what I have at home. I think jambalaya is supposed to have celery in it but I can't stand the stuff. My jambalaya normally goes like so

Fry a diced onion with loads of garlic (diced 4 cloves last night before I got sick of it) and a couple of diced chilis (which you can have more or less of depending on taste) & diced peppers

Add in some chorizo or any hard spiced sausage

When the fat from the sausage starts leaching out add a cup of long grain rice and let it cook in the fat and onions for a couple of minutes, moving it around the pan.

Add in twice as much liquid as the amount of rice you're using (so I added 2 cups of stock) and some diced tomato, last night I added 4 but I like a wet jambalaya. Stir it all around & add salt

Turn the heat down low-ish & leave it to cook till the rice is cooked through, don't stir very often. Can't remember off the top of my head how long this takes but longer than if you were just cooking rice in boiling water

I nearly always used cooked meat/fish/shellfish for this so 10 minutes towards the end I throw it in to heat up. I also throw in a cup of frozen peas. Taste for seasoning & add more if necessary

I'm not great at writing recipes and sort of make up what I cook as I go along! If this is too weird sounding to follow Delia does an awesome jambalaya

Thanks that sounds excellent. I also have a hatred of celery so this method will be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Minder wrote: »
    Hot smoked salmon & calamari salad.
    Salt & chilli fried squid.
    Prawns in warm flavoured butter - lemon zest, nutmeg, dill, chilli flakes.
    Ciabatta pizza - chipotle & pineapple salsa with pecorino cheese grilled.

Wow. Wow wow wow.

We went to friends. They prepared a lamb biriyani and naan. Then baklava and chai tea. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Had friends over last night so homemade pizzas and cocktails

Bar my mate getting hiccups for half an hour due to my latest cocktail (I may have gone slightly overboard on the 100000 Scoville vodka for his taste :-D) everything turned out damn good

Twice baked potatoes with chorizo, diced scallions & loads of cheese. Served with a dollop of sour cream.

acdae4e8-70d3-4842-acf9-a8fcd3336a68_zps81f6cb86.jpg

They look horrendous MissFlitworth. How did you choke them down?

With eyes closed and nose pinched shut :)

Chicken, chorizo, rooster spuds, cherry toms, all roasted in the one dish with lots of smoked paprika, s & p, and chilli. So, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Got sick of various chopping, grating and mincing (!) over the past few days so settled for some of the drumsticks in a sauce from dunnes and some homemade wedges. Hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Chicken, chorizo, rooster spuds, cherry toms, all roasted in the one dish with lots of smoked paprika, s & p, and chilli. So, so good.

Iwantyourdinner!

Iwantyourdinner!

<.<

>.>

I see what you did there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight we had chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with mozarella and pesto, sweet potato mash with coriander, spring onion and garlic along with green beans and corn.

dinner7_zpsf3129808.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I bought and roasted a chicken last weekend. I had it roast the first night, in GrahamThomas' satay the second, twice during the week as chicken salad for work and tonight it has had its final incarnation as Chicken and Vegetable soup- there are at least six portions left so a weeks worth of work lunches too. 10 meals for €6.00 worth of chicken. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Cottage pie for us tonight with plenty of Red Leicester cheese on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Chicken risotto tonight. Looks very colourful.

Tonight we had a slow-cooked brisket. I seasoned the meat, sealed the brisket on a hot pan, smeared it with mustard, then threw an onion and a few cloves of garlic into the slow cooker and laid the meat on top. Then I added a splash of water and a splash of red wine and left it for 5 hours on high. The juices made a nice gravy.

Dished it up in thin, tender slices with mash, roast potatoes, carrots and broccoli.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Meatballs with a creamy mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and peas. It was so satisfying and so pleasant to have meatballs without a tomato sauce!

onkenlNl.jpg

Hasselhof (thanks for the name B0jangles!) potatotes with added jalapenos between potato slices. My w*nker oven struck again though, despite being in there for ages there was an unpleasant crunch of raw spud. Oh well. They looked pretty and there was plenty of melted cheese!

2224c63b-3688-492e-8ff9-e36b7daec373_zpsb7fc3782.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

3 types of pizza, because when you're this hungover one isn't enough. Pizza one was crumbled black pudding, cherry tomatoes, onion, cheddar and mozzarella on a garlic and rosemary base. Pizza two was chorizo, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella on a plain base, and pizza three was roast squash, feta, pine nuts, rocket and balsamic vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I make something very similar but I serve it with a fried egg on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chilli spiced crab ravioli with chestnut flour pasta and pangritata made with chestnuts and breadcrumbs. Sauce made with fish stock, noilly prat and cream. Recipe from The Taste.

To add, recipe was b***ox. Combined 100g of flour with 4 egg yolks is only possibe using quails eggs. As a rule, 100g and one egg makes a good pasta dough. I made it with whole eggs to save on wastage and doubled the quantities of flour for the pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken Karahi, steamed Basmati rice and half a garlic naan bread from The Bombay Pantry. I absolutely love their food and it's always a big treat to get a curry from them.

aw6tu8.jpg

I demolished the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ i want to mop the sauce with that fluffy nan!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement