Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Quaesadillas and homemade chips tonight. I was worried the quaesadillas mightn't be enough so I put on chips again. Turned out it was plenty. First time to make quaesadillas, I'm not sure why, but they were delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Used the last of my roast pheasant in a bowl of tomatoey curry with lots of veg (broccoli, courgette, onion, mushroom, red pepper)

Bonus cow in background :D

6elAPXyl.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Eating with friends again tonight (and will be tomorrow too). I brought dessert.

Burritos stuffed with peppers, onions and garlic, and heaping spoonfuls of a slow cooked shredded chicken and black bean stew. Salsa, sour cream and cheese.

Dessert was lemon drizzle cake from the cooking club, as well as a rich chocolate torte with a caramel ganache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Crispy fried salt and pepper squid with nuoc cham. Cinnamon lamb curry with rice. Aubergines with satay sauce.

I finally picked up a bottle of Vietnamese fish sauce and made the nuoc cham with that. The rich and complex flavour is so much better than the thai fish sauce that I have been buying. I think it will be rice paper rolls tonight as there is rather a lot of the sauce left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    I finally picked up a bottle of Vietnamese fish sauce and made the nuoc cham with that. The rich and complex flavour is so much better than the thai fish sauce that I have been buying.

Oh may I know where you got it from?

• Advertisement

Oblomov wrote: »

The Lerdbury, Notting Hill, London

2 Michelin Stars

Voted number ten in the top 50 restaurants

Al La Carte menu, service examplary, food.... best mackeral ever,, Beef.. sublime, darl chocolate with soft centre, starter, White beetroot.... de lish

Complementary starter... pre desert..

All excellent.. ..... Looking for the three star before Noma in Copenhagen.. rated number one.

Looks amazing, when did you go?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Oh may I know where you got it from?

Ordered it online from Sous Chef, UK company, then found that they get it from Seewoo, so I could have picked it up from their shop in Greenwich. Sous Chef will deliver to Ireland but may be expensive for just a bottle of fish sauce. Lots of other goodies on their website...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Going back a week or two:

Striploin steaks.
    Baked potatoes.
    Spiced Christmas red cabbage.

5X4Bvq.jpg

A few days ago:

Pan fried pork chops.
    Mustard mash.
    Brussels Sprouts.
    Carrots.
    Pan juices gravy.

4Ru2a3.jpg

Last night:

Fried then grilled chicken thighs.
    Refried mustard mash.
    Fried green cabbage with garlic.
    White wine jus.

7VrxLw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Roasted a chicken tonight for the first time! Followed Gordon Ramsay's recipe for roast chicken with a chorizo stuffing and it was gorgeous. Went down very well with the family too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Salmon in cajun spaces, broccoli, carrots and some homemade (deepfried!) chips. Topped a Goodfellas pizza for the OH but I'm trying to eat a bit healthier. Today wasn't a great day though, despite the reasonably good dinner! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Made Jamaican Goat (lamb) curry yesterday after seeing it on here and twas good. Forgot to.photograph it. Made Jamaican 'rice and peas' too, which was really fantastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

So tomorrow night we will finally be eating without guests. [Wait. That's not 100% true. We have a guest staying with us but they're here for over a week so they no longer count as guests (first night you're a guest - every night thereafter you're family!).]

So we went for dinner with friends; 9 of us in total.

The appetizer was un. be. lievable. It was a delicious spicy, cheesy spinach dip, with toasted pitta. It was the best thing I have eaten in months. I have demanded the recipe. I'm not sure if they could hear me though as my mouth was full of cheesy spinach dip.

The main course was jambalaya, cornbread and salad. Also good (although I may have been wishing to simply bathe in a vat of the spinach dish).

Dessert was cranberry crumble pie, and home-made chocolate chip cookies.

We all rolled home very fat, and tipsy from all the wine and beer we may or may not have imbibed too. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Chinese takeaway here :)

Thai duck curry with lychees. Jasmine rice. Crab beignets with the nuoc cham from yesterday.

Last night it was homemade burgers stuffed with mozzarella, topped with white cheddar, bacon, lettuce and tomato with a side of wedges.

bPhKvVV.jpg?1

wLm5sU2.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bit of surf 'n' turf action last night.

First up was a ceviche of haddock and cod.....

334455.JPG

Followed by steak sandwiches with spicy wedges (dusted with semolina, black pepper, chilli powder and roasted in garlic infused rapeseed oil)....

334456.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Work Christmas party last night. Dinner was surprisingly good: For the starter I had goatscheese with beetroot and orange and main was salmon with saffron mussel sauce.

Dined out last night - shared a beautifully pan fried chicken liver coated in some sort of a port-currant reduction. For mains himself had pan fried duck breast and confit leg over sweet potato mash, and I had a delicious big bowl of seafood gumbo. My God it was good. Dessert was cocktails, plenty of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I normally buy meat from the butchers but I picked up a round roast from Aldi the other day, on spur of the moment.

I wasn't really holding out much hope it'd be any good, but I was so wrong.
    It was the tastiest, most melt-in-the-mouth beef I've ever had!
    You could have sliced it with a butter-knife!
    Anyway, here's a pic:

xc9pco.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

fussyonion wrote: »
    I can't see the beef under all that gravy :)
    Looks like a fab Sunday dinner.

I went out to dinner last night and had wild boar salami pizette to start and haunch of venison with swede and liquorice jus as main. Turns out I'm still not mad about swede but everything else was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Omelette to use up bits in the fridge with sweet potato wedges

Leftovers and a few new bits -

Thai duck curry with lychees & rice
    Crab beignets with nuoc cham
    Son in Law eggs with sweet tamarind sauce
    Panko crumbed tofu with chilli & mint
    Tofu & mushroom San Choy Bau

Jesus, cooking your son in law into eggs.

Last night was Hake and prawns in spinach coconut curry, flavoured with the aromatic turmeric leaf. Served with steamed rice.

IMG_20150112_081407_zpsyoyx2czv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night I had a 3-in-1 and some salt & chili chicken as I was in the Kant Kope stage of hangover horrors. Than I sat very, very still with my eyes closed until it was time to go to bed.

The night before I had green eggs & ham. (Scrambled eggs, loads of baby spinach & diced rashers) With buttery toasted ciabatta. Or Butter with a little toasted ciabatta really. I had to take my second half of ciabatta out of the shot because it had a full on slice of butter sitting on top of it which made me look a bit bad. Even worse than the load of butter you can already see.

e80157c3-70d9-4c1d-9ddd-9155df69e498_zps7a8007dc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

The night before I had green eggs & ham. (Scrambled eggs, loads of baby spinach & diced rashers) With buttery toasted ciabatta. Or Butter with a little toasted ciabatta really. I had to take my second half of ciabatta out of the shot because it had a full on slice of butter sitting on top of it which made me look a bit bad. Even worse than the load of butter you can already see.

When it comes to butter and spinach the ultimate recipe has to be one that I have in an old Elizabeth David book. It's apparently a recipe from the 18th century. No, I haven't tried making it - my cholesterol is already too high!

Les Epinards du Chanoine Chevrièr

On Wednesday (for Sunday) choose your spinach, young leaves, neither too old nor in flower, of a good green and with their middle ribs. In the afternoon clean the spinach, removing the stalks, and wash it carefully. When it is tender, drain it in an enamel or china colander; drain out as much water as possible by pressing the leaves firmly down in the sieve; then chop them finely.

Now put them into a pan (enamel or glazed earthenware) with some fine fresh butter and put on to a very low fire. For a pound of spinach allow 1/4 lb. of butter. Let them cook gently for 30 minutes, then take them off the fire and let them cool in the same pan. They are not to be served today.

Thursday: Add another 1 1/2 ozs. of butter to the spinach, and cook again for 10-15 minutes over a very low fire; again leave them to get cold; they are not to be served yet.

Friday: Exactly the same operation as the previous day, the same quantity of butter, the same length of cooking. Do not be tempted.

Saturday: Again the same operation as Thursday and Friday. Beware of temptation; the spinach will be giving out a wonderful aroma.

Sunday: At last the day of for your expected guests has arrived. A quarter of an hour before you intend serving the dinner put the spinach again over a low flame, with two good ounces of butter, for 10-12 minutes. This time, take them out of their pan and put them in a warmed vegetable dish and serve them very hot.

That's a total of 10.5 ounces of butter per 1 pound of spinach!

Than I sat very, very still with my eyes closed until it was time to go to bed.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Garlic chicken stir fry (with pasta, because we forgot to buy rice).
    IMG_20150109_232852.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement