Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

nompere wrote: »
    That's a total of 10.5 ounces of butter per 1 pound of spinach!

That recipe has made me smile so, so much. I knew spinach and butter was a match made in heaven but I'd never dreamed that I could use it as a vehicle to get THAT much butter into myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aldi Mediterranean wholemeal wrap. (last pack in freezer - they seem to be gone from Aldi :mad::()
    Radish leaves.
    Horseradish.
    Butcher's burger.
    Fried red onion.
    Home pickled chillies.

4K53yy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Aldi Mediterranean wholemeal wrap. (last pack in freezer - they seem to be gone from Aldi :mad::()

Irish Pride have recently started a range of wraps including a wholemeal one which I highly recommend, might be worth a try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Pasta and meatballs with homemade tomato sauce with lashings of garlic and pettits meatballs (from supervalu in Arklow) and some garlic salt. (As you can see,... I love garlic 😀 theres even some leftovers for today and possibly tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Last night was Hake and prawns in spinach coconut curry, flavoured with the aromatic turmeric leaf. Served with steamed rice

That looks divine, have you a recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I emailed Safa foods to find out if they have gone permanently from Aldi as I haven't found them since before Christmas, they have gone from there but they told me they supply the wraps to Dunnes as well and they are available under Dunnes own brand. I rarely go to Dunnes but will pop in and get some if they freeze ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Celariac and sweet potato mash with a side of broccoli and mushroom ragot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

That looks divine, have you a recipe?

Sure, it's based on this recipe for cod and spinach in coconut curry sauce. I used light coconut milk, added a bit of turmeric powder, a knot of turmeric leaf I had in the freezer, and raw prawns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Homemade burgers for us tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mimihops wrote: »
    I emailed Safa foods to find out if they have gone permanently from Aldi as I haven't found them since before Christmas, they have gone from there but they told me they supply the wraps to Dunnes as well and they are available under Dunnes own brand. I rarely go to Dunnes but will pop in and get some if they freeze ok.

Worth a try but they really are quite different to regular tortilla /wraps. Hope they're the right ones on Dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Delighted to be back in the kitchen and cooking again. Tonight we had the Vietnamese roast chicken from the cooking club. I served it with rice mixed with courgette, shallot, sweetcorn and scallions. It was very very very delicious.

I didn't bother spatchcocking the chicken so I just cooked it whole. I cooked it at 180 C upside down for 30 mins, then 50 mins the right way up. Here it is just out of the oven - look at that gorgeous char.

vietnamesechicken1_zps70e9777f.jpg

The husband had a leg and a wing:

vietnamesechicken2_zpsb4e0e779.jpg

And I had a breast:

vietnamesechicken3_zpsa003901a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Tonight's dinner was pea and mint soup with bacon pieces and a poached egg! Yum!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was in Tesco getting new specs earlier and did a small shop, they've a deal on stir fry veg, a sauce and noodles for 4e

So chicken stir fry was dinner tonigh with enough over for lunch tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday night I had a farewell dinner with my Russian pals. Lovely, lovely pelmeny! They are meat-filled dumplings served in a light broth. And vodka. Lots of vodka. :o

Tonight I went for a quiet dinner with my mate Trinidad Dave (who is probably even more of a carnivore than me). We had the best entrecôtes that Switzerland has to offer & a glass or two of red wine from the Graubunden region. If you ever get a chance to try Swiss wines - give it a go. They really are this country's best-kept secret.

Looking forward to getting home tomorrow & back cooking in my own kitchen again. :)

An underwhelming roast chicken with bland, anemic looking roast vegetables. Today was just not my day. Plenty of underwhelming & bland leftovers to go in an bland & underwhelming leftover pie tomorrow though.

*leaves to eat aromat straight from the tube*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A horrible gammon steak, baby boring potatoes and peas.
    The gammon was chewy and hard/fatty (is that possible?!) and boring.
    Bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Following in the underwhelming theme, I had my work Christmas party last night and we had fairly typical hotel banqueting fare: a chicken and mushroom vol au vent (which was actually really nice), followed by tough, chewy roast beef. I skipped the beef and loaded up on Yorkshire pudding and garlic potatoes instead. The chicken option was far tastier.

The wine served up was well dodgy too, those of us who were on the red were suffering dreadfully this morning.

I know it's not nice but I'm feeling better that other people had not-great dinners too. *underwhelming group hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast spatchcocked chicken rubbed with a Thai flavour paste and a little fish sauce. Noodles with stir fried choy sum, ginger and oyster sauce. Also made a salad of very finely diced cucumber, nashi pear, spring onion and lots of red and green chilli. Dressed it with sweet vinegar. Taste was lovely and sharp, spikey with the heat of the chilli and a sweet finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Was supposed to have a Kobe Beef burger but couldnt get to the shops in time.

Managed to pick myself up some premium Irish lamb (not cheap over here unfortunately)

Anyway, after a long christmas of cooking fancy dancy dishes I wanted to have something pure Irish tonight.

Lamb with mashed potatoes (with a tiny bit of shaved truffle that I had left over from Christmas inside), Steamed carrots and green beans and my trademark demi glaze :)

Was bloody delicious. I miss Ireland when I eat like this...

29dfuhj.jpg

• Advertisement

Trying to pull out some food pics from Jamaica... here's some of a few breakfasts. We stayed in an all-inclusive resort so you could order anything you wanted (and as much as you wanted) and it wouldn't cost you anything extra, so of course our first morning there we dived head first into the biggest fattiest breakfast they had. (Bear in mind most of the guests were large Americans so fatty sugary breakfasts were easy to find).

I had banana griddle cakes with bacon, sausage, maple syrup and whipped cream (whew):

pancakes_zps8ebe78d9.jpg

Himself had banana-stuff french toast with bacon, syrup and whipped cream. This tasted exactly like having a giant cake for breakfast.

frenchtoast_zps4c64199e.jpg

On slimmer days we got room service to deliver coffee, a fruit platter and some granola with yogurt.

roomservice_zps7b300da4.jpg

There was also an excellent and enormous buffet which became our regular breakfast haunt. I became rather spoiled by thinking it was normal to have smoked salmon and eggs every day. There was a great spread of all sorts of eggs/ meats/ cheese/ yogurt/ granola and also some fat options like waffles/ pancakes/ french toast with sauce etc. Not to mention the drinks... you could self serve bloody marys or mimosas if you were feeling delicate!

Here's our wedding cake. We had the option of (a) chocolate (b) vanilla or (c) Jamaican rum cake. We can have chocolate or vanilla cake any time so it was an easy choice. The rum cake is vaguely similar to the Christmas cake we have here except all the fruit is blended. They put loads of dried fruit into a bowl of rum and soak it 2 for months (!) then blend it till smooth, mix with cake batter and bake it. I don't like fruit cake usually but this was very delicious and seemed to get much better with age. We had it in our fridge for 2 weeks and it was better and better as the days went by.

We were given an ENORMOUS cake (bear in mind it was just the two of us there) and even after we gave half of it to staff we still couldn't get through it all. This is what we had left on our last evening as we shared a final bottle of bubbles on the balcony.

IMAG0671_zps71776dff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Was supposed to have a Kobe Beef burger but couldnt get to the shops in time.

Managed to pick myself up some premium Irish lamb (not cheap over here unfortunately)

Anyway, after a long christmas of cooking fancy dancy dishes I wanted to have something pure Irish tonight.

Lamb with mashed potatoes (with a tiny bit of shaved truffle that I had left over from Christmas inside), Steamed carrots and green beans and my trademark demi glaze :)

Was bloody delicious. I miss Ireland when I eat like this...

<Pic snipped>

Nice, but are you in Asia? Distinctly unI
    -Irish presentation!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nice, but are you in Asia? Distinctly unI
    -Irish presentation!
    Im not in Asia no.

I dont understand your comment though?

Just unusual presentation with the meat ringing the spuds and the veg bouncing around. Nice though.

Just unusual presentation with the meat ringing the spuds and the veg bouncing around. Nice though.
    I spend 60 + hours a week making dishes that have to have perfect presentation so I forgive myself at home for trowing it all on a plate :)

It doesnt look thrown together, it looks carefully done, just different, not trad Irish is all.

It doesnt look thrown together, it looks carefully done, just different, not trad Irish is all.
    Ah now I get you. Cheers.

Dont know where it came from. Wasnt planned to look good, just taste good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Pasta with creme fraise, peas and ham (and tomaotes). I've posted it before, so this time i took a photo from the pan!
    slack_for_ios_upload.jpg

• Advertisement

Some more pics... indulge me :)

On Christmas Eve the resort threw a spectacular cocktail party. Had we known there would be so much food we wouldn't have booked into a restaurant - there was mountains of food everywhere! Mostly sweet things which always appeals to me.

They had lots of lovely festive plates like this:

1_zps4268f920.jpg

A huge fruit table with a white chocolate fountain:

2_zpsba3e93aa.jpg

An incredible selection of all things sweet including lovely colourful macaroons:

3_zps8b2e49d7.jpg

I did sample one of these chocolate pies. Man alive. They were deep deep dark rich chocolate with buttery flaky pastry. Really superb.

4_zpsb5db9742.jpg

There were dinky little cherry bakewells that looks like heaven on a plate:

5_zps5b472344.jpg

Not to mention beautifully decorative carved fruit on every table (who doesn't love vaguely homoerotic deer?):

6_zps9d1dd6fd.jpg

When my husband was a child someone asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. He replied "A tayto tester". This was literally his dream come true... an entire table with different types of crisps and dips.

7_zps5867c640.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement