Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jesus christ, HMC, I'm dying here! That last picture has made my sugar withdrawal* symptoms surge up again!

*yep, I've given up sugar again :(. One week down. I'd forgotten just how hard the withdrawal period is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

*magnifying the glorious table of crisps. I. Want. That. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just two things on the plate.:
    Another gorgeous pork chop.
    Slaw of carrot, Jerusalem artichoke, apple, ginger and mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a lurgy so it was wonton soup and noodles from the local Chinese.

I've been searching for the perfect wonton soup and so far nothing has come close to the Chinese under the Dart bridge near Fairview. I can't remember the name of the place but the soup is really peppery with lumps of char sui thrown in for good measure. It breaks my heart that they don't deliver to my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Winner winner chicken diner last night. Roast chicken, green beans and roast sweet potato. I cooked the chicken in a tin-foil shaped tent as per the way I cooked my Xmas turkey and it was lovely and moist

On a roll, I made spicy, chicken noodle soup for lunch today with some of the leftovers.

• Advertisement

Homemade Chicken Kiev in panko crumbs, baby potato chippies and coleslaw.

IMG_20150113_202235_zpsktibugle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I made ibarelycare's Aloo Keema w/ Saffron & Cardamom Rice from the Cooking Club for dinner and it was so tasty.

334890.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

what are panko crumbs like, crispier than normal crumbs? Also are they typically in Asian shops or do you need some speciality Japanese store?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what are panko crumbs like, crispier than normal crumbs? Also are they typically in Asian shops or do you need some speciality Japanese store?

They're in Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Panko are very dry and light. Because they contain no moisture, they produce a less greasy, oily finish to fried food and stay crisper longer.

Dinner was roast pork fillet in a marinade of sweet tamarind and sriracha chilli paste. Chicken salad, and a thai omelette with shredded chicken, bean shoots and herbs.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also are they typically in Asian shops or do you need some speciality Japanese store?

Also available in Tesco own brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The rest of the chicken from Monday's blandfest dinner with mushrooms in a white wine & cream sauce. Served with orzo and some broccoli.

01d08a31-2e42-453a-a29a-3374e58b5fa3_zpsc34be7db.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter cooked last night. We had roast chicken with a spicy rub, corn on the cob, green beans and baby potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Last night we had slow cooked beef pieces which I then transferred into an oven dish and topped with sliced par-boiled potatoes and onions and roasted. Served with roasted Brussel sprouts.

Dinner for tonight is pulled chicken tacos with homemade guac and salsa with some of our home made rose!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Variation on the theme last night.
    Rib eye steak with the same slaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Chicken satay skewers and fried rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Pasta bake with a veg-heavy tomato sauce made from scratch. Two sliced chillies added the perfect amount of kick. Went down very well with the help of the rest of the bottle of Aldi Montepulciano used in the cooking.

Side note: I think that Aldi Montepulciano is really very good, but my palate is pretty ignorant. Anyone else a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Tom Yum soup made with scotch bonnets for lunch, dinner, lunch yesterday and today. Still have ingredients at home but think Ill switch it up this eve, innards starting to grumble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Fajitas & a few potato wedges. Marinated the chicken for a bit in soy sauce/honey & threw a bit of fajita powder on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Dinner tonight was a mountain of Thai food from Camile Thai. Lovely, comforting, refreshing food for a wild and stormy night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Picture of our pulled chicken. It was delicious and enough left for himselfs lunch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dibkins wrote: »
    Chicken satay skewers and fried rice.

Could I have the skewers recipe please?

Have been sick all week with no appetite due to severe pain. Finally got meds to deal with it today and indulged in a frozen pizza :D Gonna have lovely shepherd pie tomorrow though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Spent the night in the experiment kitchen working on an entree for a group of 450 I and my team need to cater for next month, so this was my dinner.

Finally (nearly) got all the flavors right. Trying to bring a bit of irish over here.

A mint and pea mousse with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale battered cod, served with straw chips and an apple tartar, topped with a trickle of lemon juice. Bare in mind presentation is a bit messy as this was I would reckon my 15th-20th one tonight, but would you be happy with this? lets pretend the taste is perfect ;)

Now onto making 450 of them next month. Wee

9ia32e.jpg

Cheers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Spent the night in the experiment kitchen working on an entree for a group of 450 I and my team need to cater for next month, so this was my dinner.

Finally (nearly) got all the flavors right. Trying to bring a bit of irish over here.

A mint and pea mousse with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale battered cod, served with straw chips and an apple tartar, topped with a trickle of lemon juice. Bare in mind presentation is a bit messy as this was I would reckon my 15th-20th one tonight, but would you be happy with this? lets pretend the taste is perfect ;)

Now onto making 450 of them next month. Wee

Cheers.

Wow that looks amazing, you could be seriously blase and just call it fish and chips with a twist?

Stheno wrote: »
    Wow that looks amazing, you could be seriously blase and just call it fish and chips with a twist?
    Cheers man,

Yeah Its just going to be fish and chips on the card.

Cheers man,

Yeah Its just going to be fish and chips on the card.

I'd be amazed to be served that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A mint and pea mousse with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale battered cod, served with straw chips and an apple tartar, topped with a trickle of lemon juice. Bare in mind presentation is a bit messy as this was I would reckon my 15th-20th one tonight, but would you be happy with this.

Would be delighted with it if the batter stays crisp. How does it perform when the fish is waiting on the mousse for several minutes?

Last night was Indian night. I asked for chicken tikka masala and make it spicy, which I always have for a few years now. Whoever cooked it didn't cook the chilli powder down, as it tasted so powdery raw, which spoiled the whole dish. Almost like a tub of chilli powder fell into it. Heartburn alert. However I managed to pick through the chicken and had it with Mr Fox's Jalfrezi sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Last night was chicken parmigiana, asparagus and mash. Tonight will be steak fajitas.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    Would be delighted with it if the batter stays crisp. How does it perform when the fish is waiting on the mousse for several minutes?
    This is not a problem once the mousse is the right consistency in the first place. The mouse shouldnt be "leaking", it should stay nice and firm. The mousse is straight out of a whipped cream dispenser with nitrous oxide. This insures, the mouse stays nice and firm before it gets to the table.

Also a trick ive been using for years to keep the batter crispy is just before you coat your fish, whisk the batter over a bowl of ice until its nice and cold.. this helps the crust stay crunchy.

Thanks for the compliments, ile happily put up more of my work if people are interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement