Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Thanks for the compliments, ile happily put up more of my work if people are interested.

Yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Bought marinated chicken thighs from the butcher yesterday, I don't even know what they were marinated in, but they turned out delicious!

3b30119113.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

...the mouse stays nice and firm before it gets to the table.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

I bought a tray of chicken pieces in Supervalu yesterday at lunchtime. I also bought a bottle of Newmans Own Original Sticky BBQ sauce. I punctured a little hole in the cling-film wrapping of the chicken container and poured in the bbq sauce, and left it to marinade while I returned to earn my daily bread. The chicken was nicely marinated by the time I got home, so I popped it under the grill with a load of peppers and grilled them all. Served with a nice Caesar salad. On a wild wet January evening, it was a little taste of my holliers in the Corfu. Om nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried haddock.
    Fennel, orange and red onion salad.

8rdYB3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Spiced roast chicken, corn on the cob, homemade coleslaw and baby kale.

IMG_20150115_185639_zps49qseu18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

3 egg omelette with red/yellow peppers, red onion, mushrooms, broccoli, plum tomatoes, turkey and cheese.

(Is this a relatively healthy dinner? Satiating??)

29fp7oi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Myself and my mother spent our first Christmas in 26 years apart this (last?!) year, so I got up at the crack of dawn, fired up some tinsel and put on a proper crimbo dinner. Served in a christmas jumper whilst watching Home Alone. It's being followed by various ice creams, trifles, tayto multipacks, beer and hot whiskeys. Great success, she was thrilled.
    Happy 2015 lads!

14t4v83.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Myself and my mother spent our first Christmas in 26 years apart this (last?!) year, so I got up at the crack of dawn, fired up some tinsel and put on a proper crimbo dinner. Served in a christmas jumper whilst watching Home Alone. It's being followed by various ice creams, trifles, tayto multipacks, beer and hot whiskeys. Great success, she was thrilled.
    Happy 2015 lads!

Happy Christmas :)

We had cottage pie tonight with broccoli, cauliflower and sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Grilled halloumi, spicy/smoked beans and potato salad.

335225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ended up making spag bol with fresh parmesan and crusty french bread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Striploin steaks, mushy peas and buttery, creamy scallion mash.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Striploin steaks, mushy peas and buttery, creamy scallion mash.

Every time I see your name in my updates for this thread StripedBoxers, I ask myself if the word 'scallion' will feature.

I'm rarely disappointed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Grilled halloumi, spicy/smoked beans and potato salad.

Good combination

Spring onion?

'Crispy' Chili Beef

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Spring onion?

No, the word scallion is grand! StripedBoxers regularly enjoys scallion mash, scallion tuna, scallion scrambled eggs and occasionally, scallion mash. :pac:

I'm just being silly about one woman's penchant for the ole scallion. Fond of the odd scallion meself, tbh. :p

The word scallion has now lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The word scallion has now lost all meaning.

It's been banished to the scullery. (I miss the old scullery, utility room is dull!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a Chinese ring me the other day to check if I was ok with 'scallions' (I had requested no onions). It brought a smile to my face, I like the word scallion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chickpea and spinach curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Tomato soup and a two-egg omelette, into which I popped some ageing asparagus. The asparagus cooked just perfectly in the egg mixture. It was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Tuesday & Wednesday night I had egg fried rice with lots of veg, fresh chilli and fresh ginger when I got home from college. Very quick and very tasty!

Last night I had a salami pizza, followed by a rum baba with pistachio ice cream from Honest Pizza on Dame Court. Great little spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Yes please!
    Photograph aint great as it was taken on my phone, but I finally could cook for the 2 of us at home last night.

Pasta in a clarified butter sauce with shaved fresh black truffles.

Was delish. (Please if you ever cook truffles, dont ever make them in a cream sauce. It destroys the flavor. I see too many restaurants doing it)

2429wro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No photos unfortunately, and even if I had it didn't end up looking as photogenic as the photo on the recipe, but I made this ...

http://www.lovebeetroot.co.uk/recipes/detail.asp?ItemID=323

I saw they had 500g packs of cooked beetroot in Lidl on offer for only 39c, so Googled recipes on my phone and came up with this one. Surprisingly nice, I must say. I didn't have, and couldn't buy, any chives so missed them out, and used Schwartzwaldschinken as the 'smoked ham' referred to in the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Pan fried hake on a bed of tagliatelle pasta with serrano ham and roasted tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Made my first cream of mushroom sauce and it was delicious, so had that with some fresh linguine. Nom.

I decided to try the Lidl Taste of Success winner: Irish beef short ribs with a cider and pancetta sauce. Had it with pearl barley and cabbage.

Verdict?

Mixed. The beef was fantastic but the sauce was pretty awful. It really, really did not taste homemade or anything like the original dish. I reminded me of a bad Sharwood's Chinese sauce from a bottle. Very strange.

Also, the instructions tell you to take the beef from its pouch and discard the juices. DISCARD THE JUICES:eek::eek::eek:. Then is says that after 30 minutes in the oven to again DISCARD THE JUICES that have accumulated in the tray!
    I wanted to go along with the instructions so I kept the juices aside. Gorgeous beefy consommé, like jus. I just drank it down. Then you pour the sauce over and put it back in the oven to heat.

If trying this dish I would recommend that you heat the sauce separately (or not at all) and KEEP THE EFFING JUICES. The beef is melt in the mouth and a very generous portion for one hungry person or two light eaters @ €4.99.

It's such a pity that the sauce is so poor:(

5JnQyu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Looks nice ^. Big fan of your posts and I know you know what your doing but pre-made sauces is the biggest no go in the world for me.

The stuff inside them wouldnt be long killing ya.

Looks nice ^. Big fan of your posts and I know you know what your doing but pre-made sauces is the biggest no go in the world for me.

The stuff inside them wouldnt be long killing ya.

I normally would never go near them either but having tasted this dish in development, I thought this one might be the exception. It wasn't.

But a big hunk of slow cooked rib beef is great!

• Advertisement

mimihops wrote: »
    I emailed Safa foods to find out if they have gone permanently from Aldi as I haven't found them since before Christmas, they have gone from there but they told me they supply the wraps to Dunnes as well and they are available under Dunnes own brand. I rarely go to Dunnes but will pop in and get some if they freeze ok.

You are a star.
    The very same product is in Dunne's in a Dunne's label pack and still called Mediterranean Wraps. :D:D
    Dunne's is much handier than Aldi for me, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement