Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Sounds like you may have bought gigot chops or rack chops which are really more for stewing.
    Yeah they were gigot chops. Don't normally get them but said I'd give them a try for once, never again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Yeah from boneless chicken breasts to bone-in thighs:p
    I've a similar recipe from a Nigel Slater book that uses thighs and it's great. Much better than skinless breasts IMO.
    And chopped parsley :D
    Hmmm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Alun wrote: »
    I've a similar recipe from a Nigel Slater book that uses thighs and it's great. Much better than skinless breasts IMO.

(Edit:Apart from when I'm cooking Chicken Kiev) The only time I'd use chicken breast fillets is when I'm entertaining picky eaters. You know, those lot who cannot accept the sight of bones in their food. Think we're savages, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I ONLY cook chicken breasts. Am I missing out?! (BF won't eat meat off the bone anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I ONLY cook chicken breasts. Am I missing out?! (BF won't eat meat off the bone anyway)

Yup!

Chicken thighs are amazing. I find them much more flavoursome and far jucier. And....AND I found skinless, boned chicken thighs in tesco so you've no excuses now to try them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Kovu wrote: »
    Yup!

Chicken thighs are amazing. I find them much more flavoursome and far jucier. And....AND I found skinless, boned chicken thighs in tesco so you've no excuses now to try them :D
    They are much cheaper than breasts too, win win! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Any basic ideas for turkey steaks? Have 3.

Hammer them flat, season with dried herbs and chilli flakes, then flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Shallow fry until golden. Panko breadcrumbs if you can get them, will ensure a crisp, dry finish to the turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Any basic ideas for turkey steaks? Have 3.

I got these in Supervalu today and made a Thai Green Curry. Great value.

Only have the leftovers so doesnt look as good as it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Similar to what Minder suggested......

Lay out a sheet of greaseproof paper and sprinkle some polenta on it along with Cajun seasoning and and salt and pepper. Place the the turkey on the mix and sprinkle some more mix on top. Fold over the paper and bash it until it's about a a centimetre thick.
    As you're doing the bashing stop every now and then and and sprinkle any of the escaped mix back onto the turkey, it also helps to keep turning it. Then shallow fry for a few minutes either side.

I do this all the time with chicken breasts and it's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Homemade pizza , made the dough the evening before to let it prove over night so it was extra light :)
    335550.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Away for the weekend with work, so a quick dinner was in order tonight. The only 'cooking' was making the tomato tapenade, and frying up a few slices of aubergine.

2cp7vye.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Roast lamb, garlic mash, parsnip chips roasted with tarragon and lemon, and steamed broccoli. Unfortunately I let the steamer run dry accidently so the broccoli was a bit smoked but otherwise it was very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

pampootie wrote: »
    Roast lamb, garlic mash, parsnip chips roasted with tarragon and lemon, and steamed broccoli. Unfortunately I let the steamer run dry accidently so the broccoli was a bit smoked but otherwise it was very tasty!

I love your honesty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was Vietnamese chicken with lemongrass, mamak mee goreng and some of yesterday's Khmer aubergine and pumpkin curry.

image_158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

One pot rice thingy! With chorizo,chicken,red pepper and onion and Cajun spices and plum tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Slow cooker brisket shredded into gravy made of cooking liquid (heavily reduced, seasoned & with cream added) served with a chunk of home made bread. Was a bit prison food looking but really very, very delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Minestrone Soup. More for dinner today as i don't have any time to make a dinner. Good stuff though, it was so thick i had to water it down in the bowl to make it slurpable.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haggis.
    Roast spuds.
    Kale chips.

I decided to try the Aldi haggis. It was very cheap and the ingredients looked good - seemed worth a shot.
    It was awful. Really mushy and sticky. Nothing like haggis I've had in Scotland or the M&S one which has a lovely loose, crumbly texture.
    I wouldn't recommend this one at all. I found the texture so distasteful thet I couldn't bring myself to eat it. Dumped:mad::o (decided it was too salty for the cats)

But on the plus side: I got the kale chips right!

5GUbN3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I decided to try the Aldi haggis. It was very cheap and the ingredients looked good - seemed worth a shot.
    It was awful. Really mushy and sticky. Nothing like haggis I've had in Scotland or the M&S one which has a lovely loose, crumbly texture.
    I wouldn't recommend this one at all. I found the texture so distasteful thet I couldn't bring myself to eat it. Dumped:mad::o (decided it was too salty for the cats)
    Was that the tinned one or the one in plastic? I had one of the ones in plastic last year and thought it was OK (with tatties and neeps of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    Was that the tinned one or the one in plastic? I had one of the ones in plastic last year and thought it was OK (with tatties and neeps of course!)

The one in the plastic. It might be a different supplier this year or maybe I'm just fussy.
    I think I'd have to be very skint and hungry to consider tinned haggis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Haggis.
    Roast spuds.
    Kale chips.

But on the plus side: I got the kale chips right!
    ]

That's cos you ate it before Burns Night! ;)

Aldi's Haggis last year was fine I thought. Will go to M&S this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That Haggis does indeed look vomit inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

We had a variation on the Cooking Club by accident :D

Chicken thighs in shallot, (lots of ) white wine, Dijon and a splash of cream sauce. I love my new cast iron pan very very much. I made the four hour baguette from Dan Leader via Food 52 to go with, which is delicious. I used strong flour rather than the plain all purpose though, and I prefer it that way.

Not the most attractive but creamy tomato pasta with chicken,chorizo and spinach.

Hubby not impressed with how it looks, I think it's yummy!

javagal wrote: »
    Not the most attractive but creamy tomato pasta with chicken,chorizo and spinach.

Hubby not impressed with how it looks, I think it's yummy!

You, me and Loire have the same oil cloth :D

You, me and Loire have the same oil cloth :D

Women of good taste!

javagal wrote: »
    Women of good taste!

Ehemm yeah he did say Mrs Loire picked them out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Just a quick question about chicken thighs. I bought some to put in jambalaya tonight, can the chicken thighs (with bones) be chilled and reheated?

It'd be handy to have the same for dinner tomorrow but I don't want to lose my week to food poisoning :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tandoori chicken thighs (using Green Saffron spice mix), fluffy rice, a cucumber salad with a creamy dill dressing and garlic naan bread (not pictured). Delicious! The picture is massive and I can't be bothered resizing it from a tablet, so I'm leaving it as an attachment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ehemm yeah he did say Mrs Loire picked them out :p

She did indeed...I'd have come back with a Xmas one to do the whole year!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement