Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Loire wrote: »
    Beef chilli noodles. Beef (obviously), chilli (obviously), scallions, garlic, wilted spinach, bamboo shoots and these mad looking "golden" mushrooms I picked up. It was really good.

Enoki, love them in noodle broths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was duck ragu with mafaldine pasta and crispy duck skin pangritata.

image_162.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Loire wrote: »
    Beef chilli noodles. Beef (obviously), chilli (obviously), scallions, garlic, wilted spinach, bamboo shoots and these mad looking "golden" mushrooms I picked up. It was really good.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/enokimushrooms5.jpg

Mmmm, love enokitaki.

I had salmon marinaded in soy, garlic, lemon and 5 spice with sushi rice. Proper tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Came looking for some inspiration in here for next week! Today was a quick aldi jalfrezi sauce with peppers, broccoli & chicken. Rice & poppadoms too. It occurred to me that even in my mid 20s, myself and my partner frequently come home from work and eat together in the same way that we did as children....while watching the Simpsons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

A generous wallop of sausage & butterbean hotpot with buttery milky mash. Great for such a cold day.

sausagehotpot1_zps696a9338.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I had TURKEY! NOT chicken!!!!! Scoreeeeeeeeeee!

Marinated my turkey breasts in honey, soy & Chinese 5 spice over night.

Had it stirfried with peppers & mushrooms with some boiled broccoli and sugarsnap peas (Are steamed veg better than boiled?) and noodles.

And a Sweet n Sour stir in.

Was nice. No pic - too hungry! Long day tomorrow so have some to bring with me (no noodles)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Chicken and broccoli fried rice made with yesterdays leftovers. Nomnom.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Cofy, your burger completely inspired me.

2q1e1r5.jpg

Chicken burgers with salad and a super-classy concoction of chopped onion, mayo and tomato ketchup.

Absolutely delicious. Hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

There !
    Portobello mushrooms, stuffed with beef mince, a tomato, onion & olive sauce with rice.
    2cp4a5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

dibkins wrote: »
    Chicken and broccoli fried rice made with yesterdays leftovers. Nomnom.

Awesome, what have you coating the rice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

photo_zpsez5pgumj.jpg

Chorizo omlette with wholewheat wrap and hummus. Hit the spot nicely, and enough left for lunch.

(and I might have some peanut butter Ben & Jerry's later)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken with boulangere potatoes and broccoli here tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Sea bream coated with almond flour and spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Chicken fillets in a cream, white wine and mushroom sauce. Will have broccoli and scallion mash :o

Got a white Rioja as well, so will have a glass of that in a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Are those chicken burgers above homemade?!?!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tilly wrote: »
    Sea bream coated with almond flour and spices.

I've never used almond flour. Do you bake with it or just cook? Is it very different in taste and to work with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

yellow hen wrote: »
    I've never used almond flour. Do you bake with it or just cook? Is it very different in taste and to work with?

I made muffins with it tonight. I don't get much of an almond taste off it. It was my first time using it tonight and it worked for both savoury and sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tilly wrote: »
    I made muffins with it tonight. I don't get much of an almond taste off it. It was my first time using it tonight and it worked for both savoury and sweet :)

Thanks. I'll give it a go!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Are those chicken burgers above homemade?!?!??!

Er, home-made, yeah sure. If there are no follow-up questions, then definitely. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Awesome, what have you coating the rice?

Some dark soy and a gooood splash of Franks for a bit of heat. I find the dark soy much tastier and less salty than light soy. Also, some beaten egg thrown in at the end, around a quarter to a half a one. The other half is scrambled at the start to have some nice eggy chunks in the rice.

Also, for almond flour, look up Nigella's chocolate clementine cake. Delicious. The almond flour means it is gluten free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Veggie bento box. 3 pieces of avocado dragon roll, some fried sweet potato with guac (bit of a random inclusion there!), an unexpected slice of grilled aubergine with 'something' on it and the star of the show, a steamed bun stuffed with kimchi and cream cheese. Brown rice & miso.

dibkins wrote: »
    Some dark soy and a gooood splash of Franks for a bit of heat. I find the dark soy much tastier and less salty than light soy. Also, some beaten egg thrown in at the end, around a quarter to a half a one. The other half is scrambled at the start to have some nice eggy chunks in the rice.

Agree RE: Dark Soy. Nice one, think i'll copy this, looks fantastic. Reminds me of Wok2Walk if you're familiar with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Agree RE: Dark Soy. Nice one, think i'll copy this, looks fantastic. Reminds me of Wok2Walk if you're familiar with it!

Damn you! Now all I will think of tonight is Wok2Walk! I first experienced it in Amsterdam and have being craving it ever since :D

Heheh!

Ultimate comfort food.

I'm convinced.if someone had the capital to open a franchise here they would absolutely kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

We had chicken again today, but normal service was resumed,

White pudding for my son, and chicken Ham and mushroom vol au vents for Mr. Cofy and myself.

Teriyaki chicken for my daughter
    2ps3db5.jpg

Can anyone tell me how long teriyaki sauce would last in the fridge?

2 weeks approx I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

IMAG0379_zpsm0ht5len.jpg

While enjoying a few beers over Christmas it was decided that the Elbow household needed to get more veggies in our diet for the new year, 3 weeks into January and i've yet to buy, cook or eat meat in 2015.................most surprisingly don't miss it either :eek:

Anyway last nights dinner was thanks to my new favorite cookbook "Thug Kitchen". Smokey black beans in a baked sweet potato with lemony, garlicky kale on the side.

*I've also learned that not one of the local takeaways do a nice interesting veggie dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Elbow wrote: »
    While enjoying a few beers over Christmas it was decided that the Elbow household needed to get more veggies in our diet for the new year, 3 weeks into January and i've yet to buy, cook or eat meat in 2015.................most surprisingly don't miss it either :eek:

Anyway last nights dinner was thanks to my new favorite cookbook "Thug Kitchen". Smokey black beans in a baked sweet potato with lemony, garlicky kale on the side.

*I've also learned that not one of the local takeaways do a nice interesting veggie dish!

Love the look of that - how do you get the black beans smokey? Smoked paprika?

We've had burritos last night, with black bean stew, brown rice, homemade salsa, bit of cheese and avocado to top it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Elbow wrote: »
    Anyway last nights dinner was thanks to my new favorite cookbook "Thug Kitchen".

I so, so nearly bought that last week because I thought the cauliflower on the front was pulled pork! Still going to buy it, once I get paid, but was surprised at how long it took me to realise that all the recipes in it were Vegan, it all looked amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Shenshen wrote: »
    Love the look of that - how do you get the black beans smokey? Smoked paprika?

I'll correct any discrepancies later but off the top of my head the recipe was:

Beans:
    Half an onion
    1 Stick of celery (very finely chopped)
    1 Chipotle taken from a tin of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (seeds in)(http://bit.ly/15vo9VS)
    2 Cloves smoked garlic (Lidl)
    1 Drained tin black beans
    Nutmeg, All spice, Salt & Smoked Paprika (Roughly 1/4 teaspoon of each)

Brown the onion then add the celery and soften for 2 more minutes, add the spices & chili & garlic, cook out for 30 seconds, add beans and heat. Job Done!

Sweet potato:
    1 Large Sweet potato

Stab with a fork and cook at 205° until soft (mine took 90 minutes)
    Cut in half, add a drop of coconut oil, some salt, break up slightly

Kale:
    Half a bags worth of kale with the tough thick stem taken out, chopped up a bit.
    Juice of half a lemon
    Splash of soy sauce
    Splash of water
    2 cloves of finely chopped garlic.

Heat drop of oil in a pan, add the kale and toss for 30 seconds to coat in oil, add the rest of the ingredients and again toss to make sure the kale is coated, after 90 seconds onto the plate

I so, so nearly bought that last week because I thought the cauliflower on the front was pulled pork! Still going to buy it, once I get paid, but was surprised at how long it took me to realise that all the recipes in it were Vegan, it all looked amazing.

It's fantastic, most of our dinners over the past 2 weeks have been out of it and every single one tasted fantastic! (the banana bread is awesome too ;))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement