Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mars Bar wrote: »
    :pac: That's a fantastic turn of phrase!

I can't take credit for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Risotto with sweet potato, mushroom, onion, chorizo and chicken. Yum. Though the photo doesn't look that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Nachos with chili beef, guacamole and some pico de gallo with a little tequila in it. And loads of cheese. LOADS. Tortilla chips made by cutting corn tortillas (taco sized) into quarters and baking them.

eb4e56c2-f3fd-4bd8-a78d-f8a0ce5448f1_zps2ce3a651.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Recipe please!

It's brisket so I don't mess about.

Salt and pepper that's it with some hickory chunks. There is a fancy BBQ out the back that does most of the work

There was some Cajun season added on some part as an experiment but didn't add much

Meat thermometer essential. Think it took 4 hours to move from 175 to 178f

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

RasTa wrote: »
    There is a fancy BBQ out the back that does most of the work

Thought as much, you don't get bark like that in a conventional oven. BGE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Mr Fox made Bolognese last night, one which he claimed the best of any he's ever had. I beg to differ. We're planning on hosting the Great Bolognese Taste Off. I hope it doesn't end up in a divorce.

Minder wrote: »
    Thought as much, you don't get bark like that in a conventional oven. BGE?

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Mr Fox made Bolognese last night, one which he claimed the best of any he's ever had. I beg to differ. We're planning on hosting the Great Bolognese Taste Off. I hope it doesn't end up in a divorce.

Need some judges? Am sure we could rustle up a few :)

Need some judges? Am sure we could rustle up a few :)

Watch this space for date and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Inspired by Shenshen, I did the W. African peanut soup with sweet potato and kale. Had spiced lamb leg skewers too.

4GHLaa.jpg

7azQjE.jpg

Soup was very nice - I'd make it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Could you post the recipe for both the soup and skewers please?

herisson wrote: »
    Could you post the recipe for both the soup and skewers please?

Scroll back a few posts, Shenshen has the soup recipe linked.

The skewers were just lamb leg meat cubed and trimmed then dusted with a mix of coriander, cumin, allspice, clove, black pepper (freshly toasted and ground) and chilli flakes and left to infuse for a few hours. When ready to cook I threaded them onto soaked wooden skewers, seasoned them with salt, brushed with oil and cooked quickly on a very hot gas BBQ. We had them pretty rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

15fm22p.jpg

Tortilla wraps with a fast and easy chili con carne, sliced avocados with tomato salsa, cheese and very liquid-y soured cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had the Beef Short Rib from LIDL for dinner tonight.

336288.jpg

LIDL are on form. This was really nice, and a great price too. I think it was only €5?
    Wasn't mad gone on the cider sauce that came with it, the spices were a bit off. It was screaming for a good rich beef gravy. Still, great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Veggie bake

289A1AB748ED449694029D5B830ACB57-0000353053-0003719478-00640L-48DE2528DDA44E91AA88C8284FB93BC8.jpg

And for dessert, blueberry and banana muffins :)

B6EBB0A7532D409F847B32C6076F905B-0000353053-0003719479-00640L-FC65A018A7274353828E8AFD7F7495ED.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had the Beef Short Rib from LIDL for dinner tonight.

LIDL are form. This was really nice, and a great price too. I think it was only €5?
    Wasn't mad gone on the cider sauce that came with it, the spices were a bit off. It was screaming for a good rich beef gravy. Still, great value.
    I got it last weekend and it was really nice. Loads of meat and thoroughly cooked. I thought the sauce was nice. Maybe it's a matter of taste.

RasTa wrote: »
    Hmm brisket, all devoured after a 12 hour cook

I find it very hard to get brisket. Even my local craft butcher hums and haws and rarely has it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

katydid, please don't quote pictures on this thread, thanks.

Faith wrote: »
    katydid, please don't quote pictures on this thread, thanks.

Oh sorry, my apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Steak and chips for us tonight.

• Advertisement

Had the rest of the African soup.
    This time with a side of hake done on the gas bbq and a couple of charred sweet pointy peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Had Burn's supper last night. Roasted garlic hummus with crudites to start followed by haggis (regular and vegetarian) with roasted carrots, roasted cabbage, and baked potatoes. We were all so full that dessert didn't get to be eaten so I have a rhubarb and raspberry crumble all to myself today.

katydid wrote: »
    I find it very hard to get brisket. Even my local craft butcher hums and haws and rarely has it

Tell him to order some in for ye. Mine was the same with beef cheeks the other day and went in yesterday to get him to order some in and he already had it.

Also FXB's will have it if you're in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

After polishing off a "very lazy", by name and nature, Thai green curry with egg fried rice. Little jar of very lazy paste, tin coconut milk, usual veg, chicken etc. it was absolutely gorgeous and very handy.

My only prob is that I'm trying to nail how I do my onions. Would love to do them like how the Chinese takeaway do. Not crispy style, just large soft onions. Tried boiling them for few mins and quick fry today but no joy :(

Dhruv Baker's duck (legs) braised in soy, star anise & galangal, served with asparagus & carrot stir fry, and jasmine rice.

IMG_20150125_182750_zpsamsbe1x9.jpg

heldel00 wrote: »
    After polishing off a "very lazy", by name and nature, Thai green curry with egg fried rice. Little jar of very lazy paste, tin coconut milk, usual veg, chicken etc. it was absolutely gorgeous and very handy.

My only prob is that I'm trying to nail how I do my onions. Would love to do them like how the Chinese takeaway do. Not crispy style, just large soft onions. Tried boiling them for few mins and quick fry today but no joy :(

It might have been a lazy Thai curry, but you know what, sometimes it makes much more sense to use a paste if you get a good one, especially with Thai curry, as the manufacturers assembled all the ingredients, got them in the right proportions, and made the paste just right. If you get a good one from a genuine Thai source that isn't full of additives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Got my hands on some nice 'black shells' today so there was only one thing for it.....linguine with mussels, garlic, chilli, lime and coriander.....

336397.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Easy simple dinner tonight of mashed potato, fried sausage and peas. We were all set to get an Indian takeaway but luckily common sense set in and we cooked a handy meal instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

heldel00 wrote: »

I fry them a bit and then add water so they cook but don't go crisp or brown. Keep adding a little water as it boils off until they're done.

Crispy chilli beef with egg fried rice here tonight.

sxjcw3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we're having omelettes. Just simple omelettes with mushrooms, onions and smoked bacon.

We were meant to have lamb chops, with spuds and vegs but neither of us are in the mood to cook so we're having something easy and simple instead.

That chilli beef and egg fried rice looks gorgeous Dizzy, any chance you'd post the recipes?

We seem to have the same meals on rotation so it'd be nice to change it up a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement