Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

In the fridge I've a big packet of bacon bits I bought in Aldi, some mushrooms, a small bit of cream at the end of a carton, and some gnocci. My plan for tomorrow's dinne is to boil the gnocci, fry the bacon and mushrooms with a chopped onion, and add the cooked gnocci, cream and a bit of parmesan. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Salad Time
    2zedv9c.jpg
    iceberg, cucumber, red and green pepper, yoghurt dressing

2ni4epw.jpg
    warm potato salad with a dill vinaigrette

veu61w.jpg
    crab, prawn & egg salad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Last night I made the 1st of three pilaf recipes that Ottolenghi had in the Guardian online link here: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/23/pilaf-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi#start-of-comments
    I made the Beef, apricot and almond pilaf and I was disappointed by the outcome. Only so so. Quite dry. Needs something saucey with it.

Today I had a go at this from bbc online. A chicken biryani.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickenbiriyani_89035
    Much better and one I'd happily make again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That chilli beef and egg fried rice looks gorgeous Dizzy, any chance you'd post the recipes?

We seem to have the same meals on rotation so it'd be nice to change it up a bit.

Sure - I get fed up cooking the same things over and over too.
    The beef was really nice, it was the first time I made it and I'll definitely make it again. The recipe is here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2852672/crispy-chilli-beef

For the fried rice I scrambled a beaten egg in a hot pan with a little vegetable oil, then stirred in a big bowl of leftover boiled rice. When it was hot I added a dash of soy sauce - and a handful of chopped scallions :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Sure - I get fed up cooking the same things over and over too.
    The beef was really nice, it was the first time I made it and I'll definitely make it again. The recipe is here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2852672/crispy-chilli-beef

For the fried rice I scrambled a beaten egg in a hot pan with a little vegetable oil, then stirred in a big bowl of leftover boiled rice. When it was hot I added a dash of soy sauce - and a handful of chopped scallions :)

I've always wanted to do that crispy beef thing. I'm glad it worked for you, definitely going to give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight I had Ikea meatballs & chips, ending a week of very, very little cooking done by my own fair, chubby hands. Next week cometh the homecooked meals, vegetables, cheese-cold-turkey and lack of food that can be eaten out of the box it came to the door in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bread and jam for dinner tonight. Homemade bread with Bonne Maman cherry jam. And some crumble for dessert. I had a burger for lunch so couldn't face anything more substantial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

In-laws down with us this weekend

Sat night I made venison steaks with wilted spinach, scallions, mash and mushrooms with a wine reduction sauce

Last night we had melt-in-the-mouth beef cheek stew, cooked in my beloved slow cooker for 6 hours on Sat and gently re-heated. First time thickening up a stew with a roux also and it was divine with the added butter. Opened as Italian red that someone had given us, not expecting much, but it was really good.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Equil

Last night I had coconut rice, sweet potato with sweet chilli sauce and a special salad (lettuce, onion, potato, baked beans, peas, carrot)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bit of a hodgepodge dinner last night.

Gammon steaks, rosemary & garlic potatoes, and corn on the cob. Lovely all the same.

336497.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Going to have a lazy night tonight and have an M&S chargrilled vegetables pizza and put a load of anachovies on it.

Bacon looks divine Bazmo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cottage pie with plenty of grated cheddar cheese for us tonight. God I can't wait.

A rich, beefy, sauce full of red wine and deliciousness, buttery, creamy, scalliony mash, with mountains of gooey-oozy cheddar cheese that bubbles.

Mmmm mmm mmm.

Yes, I have a slight obsession with scallions. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made the cooking club's Stroganoff again for tonight. Served with jasmine rice. So so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Cooking club chicken white wine and tarragon served with gnocchi. First time and it was delicious!

353edli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Shrimp rice noodle rolls with stir fried choy sum.

IMG_0563_thumb.jpg

Roast chook

IMG_0564_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^
    Happy Australia Day mate!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had an easy chicken korma that I fished out of the freezer, I just added green veg and basmati rice.

For tomorrow I've put together the filling for a cottage pie and it's gone into the slow cooker to cook overnight. I added English mustard, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and rich beef stock to minced steak and the holy grail of vegetables (carrot, celery & onion). Sure tomorrow's dinner will only be amazing.

Breaded chicken fillets (not sure if this is the right description! Chicken fillets dipped in beaten egg and rolled in breadcrumbs) with roast baby potatoes, honey-glazed carrots and topped with melted, garlic butter. yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Rick Stein's Newlyn Fish Pie, served with baked potato & petit pois. Prawns are missing but still delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Potato-quality photo of the cottage pie with peas. Delicious, clean plates all round.

IMAG0809_zps8jswdrrk.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Slow cooked chicken & bacon stew with baby potatoes.

2lvby2x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Yesterday was Goodfellas' night with frozen pizzas. Bleurgh !

Tonight we had 2 double tickness pork chops (from own free range pigs), smothered with sage, mustard and mango chutney mixture and slow roasted in the oven.
    Served with green beans and baby pots with olive oil, garlic, parsley and lemon zest.
    2r3xjk7.jpg

alj9j5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

... *stares at the pork chops*

... *looks at pizza*

... *puts down the pizza*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tonight a hearty soup was necessary so I made chilli soup - garlic, onions, minced beef, mixed peppers, jalapeños, corn, black beans, beef stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and spices...with plenty of crusty bread and butter for dripping, and a sprinkle of cheese and chopped scallions. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

Had a delicious simple dinner this evening.....

Put some diced beef, crushed garlic, carrots, mushrooms, courgettes, beef stock and about 100mls of red wine into a casserole dish on the hob. Added a can of chopped tomatoes. Brought it to the boil then put it in the oven at around 160 for 2 hours. It was so so tasty.

Didn't know what to serve it with so boiled up some rice, cooled it down the put it in a wok with frozen peas, added some soy and 2 eggs and spring onions near the end.

Went really well with the casserole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You know who I love? Me. You know why I love me? Because sometimes I have a great idea like:

I should take the leftover wild mushrooms from dinner the other night and fry them up

photo%201_zpsdo338bxu.jpg

Then take the stock I made at the weekend from that rabbit

photo%202_zps8r35rths.jpg

Mmmmm, jellified.

And make a risotto out of the whole shebang

photo%203_zpsdwkvl0fs.jpg

Sometimes I'm genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

kylith wrote: »

I tried out a new Korma Erin Dine In to use up some left over chicken, and blimey if it wasn't delicious.

Wanted a fast dinner tonight and was on the verge of calling for an Indian takeaway when I remembered January finances and that I had one of these Korma Dine Ins. Had it with chicken and veg and it was delicious!! Infact I think I will have one in stock and avoid the takeaways for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Some quality in here tonight lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement