Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night I was in tesco with himself, and just before we went to the checkout, I decided to have a quick look for a meat thermometer, himself said I wouldn't find one, and cursed me for going around tesco at 9.10 looking for something I wouldn't find, went into the aisle with the utensils etc and lo and behold, a meat thermometer was the first thing I spotted, so there was only one thing for it, roast beef. And it was perfect. Red and juicy (or bloody, to my mother) in the middle, crispy on the outside. Om nom nom it was.

Had it with scallion mash (:o :p) and broccoli and carrots, and gravy, rich, beefy gravy with a dash of red wine. Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

He didn't mind being wrong for once........ :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Coconut soup with thai flavours and cheong fun rice noodle rolls

IMG_0565_thumb.jpg

Roast chicken legs with choy sum greens

IMG_0566_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A medium rare striploin, cheesy gratin potatoes, fried mushrooms & onions in a cream sauce with some HP in it (I had never considered this as a thing you would do before and was apprehensive but it tasted great!).

Pretty indulgent dinner for a Tuesday but I bought a 'new' car this week and was struck with 'I can carry home ALL THE THINGS without using my arms' fever so I cleared out Lidl of nice things. Lots of gratin left that we shall have with my uncle's famous-in-our-family pork 'wellington' tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Old school here the last couple of days:
    (apart from miso soup with leeks as a starter)
    Lamb chops. Carrots. Kale. Mash with leeks.

77WChF.jpg

Last night was Irish stew (with no pearl barley as I didn't have any:eek:)

74xAUv.jpg

Same again tonight;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Is that a nice bit of mutton? I was going to get lamb out the other night, but i was worried it would be new lamb and be all delicate. I wouldn't mind being served hoggit instead^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    Had Burn's supper last night. Roasted garlic hummus with crudites to start followed by haggis (regular and vegetarian) with roasted carrots, roasted cabbage, and baked potatoes. We were all so full that dessert didn't get to be eaten so I have a rhubarb and raspberry crumble all to myself today.

Vegetarian Haggis? I'm intrigued - could you point me to a recipe?

We had lentil cottage pie last night, with smoked cheese mash on top.

I was actually rather proud of the gravy I rustled up - left-over red wine, stock, bay leaves, dried mushrooms and tomato puree, simmer with the carrots, turnip and lentils for well over an hour. I actually licked the plate clean :D

The only thing I need to work on is piping the mash on top... any tips or tricks? I'm finding it difficult to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    Vegetarian Haggis? I'm intrigued - could you point me to a recipe?

Would love to, but I bought it in MArks and Spencer. It seemed to be mostly lentils and was a little spicier than their regular haggis

kylith wrote: »
    Would love to, but I bought it in MArks and Spencer. It seemed to be mostly lentils and was a little spicier than their regular haggis

Thanks!

Looks like the standard stuff I would use to make a vegetarian Wellington. What had they stuffed it into, do you know? Can't have been the regular sheep's stomach?

• Advertisement

dibkins wrote: »
    Is that a nice bit of mutton? I was going to get lamb out the other night, but i was worried it would be new lamb and be all delicate. I wouldn't mind being served hoggit instead^^

Well I bought it as lamb pieces but it could well be hoggit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The only thing I need to work on is piping the mash on top... any tips or tricks? I'm finding it difficult to get it right.

You need to get one of them piping bag/tube. Ziplocs are sworn by some but I haven't any success with them.
    Mash doesn't necessarily need to be piping hot, warm is sufficient, but cold us a no no.
    I don't put milk/cream in the mash that I use to top pies; it'll stay firmer.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    You need to get one of them piping bag/tube. Ziplocs are sworn by some but I haven't any success with them.
    Mash doesn't necessarily need to be piping hot, warm is sufficient, but cold us a no no.
    I don't put milk/cream in the mash that I use to top pies; it'll stay firmer.

It's the firmness I seem to have a problem with, I think I might make mine too firm. I've got the piping bags (I use them a lot for baking), but I'm finding it hard to pipe any kind of rosette-shapes, because the filling underneath doesn't give mush hold or resistance. Best I can do is stripes.

I'd love to do something like this :

product_image.ashx?p=307&w=298&h=298

Thanks!

Looks like the standard stuff I would use to make a vegetarian Wellington. What had they stuffed it into, do you know? Can't have been the regular sheep's stomach?

It was just a plastic wrapping. If I was doing it myself I'd put it in a lidded pot in a Bain marie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Made beef stroganof with plenty of mushrooms and had peas and rice with it.

Now i have a pear tartlet with an almond pastry.

Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

herisson wrote: »
    Made beef stroganof with plenty of mushrooms and had peas and rice with it.

Now i have a pear tartlet with an almond pastry.

Yum

Of a Wednesday night??? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

heldel00 wrote: »
    Of a Wednesday night??? :p

Sure why not? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Because I am tremendously lazy, dinner tonight was sausages, fried eggs, potato waffles and white buttered sliced pan. And ketchup. And tea. Not worth a photo but yum yum.

Oxtail stew. I do think it's about the best cut of beef. So tasty, but a bit fatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

IMG_20150128_201446_zpsl8aweffi.jpg

Turmeric Chicken Sambal served with jasmine rice and cucumber ribbons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Veal chop with parmentier potatoes, sprout tops and beurre noisette with sage.

IMG_0567_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Alone for dinner tonight, so I delved out of the freezer 'pot noodle', or so the label my husband had written said.
    It was obviously of a better standard as I had made this myself a while back.
    Anyway, I call it Bami Goreng and I served it with a fried egg, some mild chili and a drizzle of sesame oil.

2hdsnlf.jpg

And now I'm properly stuffed. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pork Gummistiefel (our family's sad play on 'wellington' because my German speaking uncle made this for us the first time we met him). Puff pastry, rolled nice & thin, smoked ham on top, smear of dijon, wrapped around a pork fillet. Served with reheated gratin (which, actually reheated well. I was expecting gummy mush) and peas. Tasty! Lots of leftover pork to have for lunch tomorrow as well.

bbb161cb-ec27-4cce-8be8-708e0e82ca8e_zps937b26d6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chorizo, onion, garlic, mangetout, green peppers, potatoes (which fell to pieces!), rosemary, some chilli...and a fired egg. Essentially a clear out the fridge jobby. Still beautiful. The egg really sets it all off.

336849.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Chorizo, onion, garlic, mangetout, green peppers, potatoes (which fell to pieces!), rosemary, some chilli...and a fired egg. Essentially a clear out the fridge jobby. Still beautiful. The egg really sets it all off.
    Funnily enough apart from the chorizo that's what the bottom of my fridge looks like :) Off to buy chorizo now!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Leftovers from yesterday. Chicken Kiev, carrots, mushy peas, and mashed potatoes with kale. No pic as I was starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we're having Lamb chops and chips.

Something simple, quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I had curry with potatoes and coconut and a spoon of natural yoghurt. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow. :D:D

I've realised I don't post in this thread much because I love curry. So the majority of my posts would be curry or rice related. It's not that I don't like other food, I just adore curry. :3

ps love this thread and the pictures!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had the Cooking Club's chorizo & chickpea stew tonight, cooked in my new pot :)
    I added carrots for extra veg and chicken for the chickpea hater.

1zc268k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A huge stir fry with chilli, broccoli, onion, red pepper, courgette, parsnip, kale, sweetcorn, mangetout and roast beef leftover from yesterday. Garlic, soy and honey to sauce it up :)

*feels all saintly and goes to eat entire cheesecake*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement