Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Alone for dinner tonight, so I delved out of the freezer 'pot noodle', or so the label my husband had written said.

Jees, if that's your pot noodle :eek::cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Stir fried rice. Colour from fresh grated tumeric, also added ginger, garlic, chilli, enoki mushrooms, chicken, soya beans, dried shrimp and bean shoots. Stir fried some bok choy and sprout tops with a little ginger and chilli.

image_165.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Loire wrote: »
    Jees, if that's your pot noodle :eek::cool::pac:

Well yes. My husband calls my Bami Goreng 'pot noodle'. The cheek of him :mad: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Inspired by Ms. Fox's duck the other night, and going wildly off piste with some pork belly, I had braised pork belly with crackling, tenderstem broccoli and some rice. Friends brought some Gu Chocolate pots for delicious finisher.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Falafel!

With salsa, houmous and tsatsiki!
    And, inevitably, I've eaten way to much and really regretted it this morning on the scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Shenshen wrote: »
    Falafel!

And, inevitably, I've eaten way to much and really regretted it this morning on the scales.

Usually a lurker on this thread but Ive been promising myself ill make falafel for awhile now, any chance of the recipe???

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Usually a lurker on this thread but Ive been promising myself ill make falafel for awhile now, any chance of the recipe???

The one I make is very straightforward, though probably not entirely original:

1 onion, chopped
    1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 tin of chickpeas, drained
    1 egg
    ca. 100g chickpea flour (or regular flour)
    1 tsp salt

Put all of the above into your food processor and blend until you've got a smooth-ish dough. Add more flour if it's too liquid. It should just hold together so you can shape it into little balls using 2 teaspoons.

Fry in a pan or deep-fat fryer until golden brown.

For variety, you can add some parsley, or coriander. I also find a pinch of curry powder is lovely in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

The one I make is very straightforward, though probably not entirely original:

1 onion, chopped
    1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 tin of chickpeas, drained
    1 egg
    ca. 100g chickpea flour (or regular flour)
    1 tsp salt

Put all of the above into your food processor and blend until you've got a smooth-ish dough. Add more flour if it's too liquid. It should just hold together so you can shape it into little balls using 2 teaspoons.

Fry in a pan or deep-fat fryer until golden brown.

For variety, you can add some parsley, or coriander. I also find a pinch of curry powder is lovely in them.

thanks a million, will be making some over the weekend!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night ended up being pizza as himself was working late and it was too late too cook when he got back.

Tonight we are having deep fried spicy chicken wings, and I'll get BBQ ribs in the butchers, so we'll have those with some beers, or wine. Haven't decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got a couple of those flatiron steaks in Lidl so it's one of them for dinner, with a baked spud, broccoli and pepper sauce. Or maybe mushroom sauce. Haven't decided that far yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Falafel!

I had a falafel years ago in Hong Kong which was in a wrap more so than a pitta and had it served in a wrap in oz last year. They were so tasty and i've never seen them done like that over here, despite looking everywhere. They also included meat so is a true falafel actually served in turkish bread or a pitta type bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Cod - fried in butter then finished off in the oven. A MOUNTAIN of creamy mash with sauteed curley kale & leek. Topped with my go-to sauce - melted butter, lemon juice & mixed herbs. It was good!

I had a falafel years ago in Hong Kong which was in a wrap more so than a pitta and had it served in a wrap in oz last year. They were so tasty and i've never seen them done like that over here, despite looking everywhere. They also included meat so is a true falafel actually served in turkish bread or a pitta type bread?

Good question - as far as I know, falafel would originally be from the Eastern Mediterranean, so I guess pitta might be the more original accompaniment.

Then again, as I said, I had mine with salsa and tsatsiki on top, so what would I know? ;)

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't normally contain meat, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Made a make shift steamer so i had steamed green beans, then flash fried it in a tonne of chilli, soy sauce, mushrooms, peas and onions and served with basmati rice.

Very full after it.

Could be wrapped in khubz - Arabic flat bread.

arab-fladenbrot-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Home alone tonight so jumped in the car and ran into Pho Viet on Parnell Street. Ordered the Pho Viet Dac Biet soup - that's beef and noodles to you and me.

Huge bowl of deliciousness, glad I didn't order a main!! :)

3418AEA1-BB17-4D0E-90EC-AE8B4457A5B5_zps3s9on9g5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Homemade burger and colcanon

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

2872q2o.jpg

Red lentil and sausage (homegrown & free range, of course ;) ) casserole with mashed potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Had beef and guinness stew yesterday I normally make enough for 2 days but only had enough leftovers for pies.
    mbswfr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    Could be wrapped in khubz - Arabic flat bread.
    ]

Looks remarkably like what was once known as Aldi Mediterranean wraps but now know as Dunne's Mediterranean wraps!

• Advertisement

I hate it that everything has to be westernised or branded to make it saleable. What's wrong with calling it by its original name?

Dinner wasn't Jamie's chilli with Jamie's salsa and Jamie's refried beans! Because long before Jamie feckin Oliver came along these dishes has other names. Carnitas, refried beans with cheese, tomato and avocado salsa.

image_166.jpg

Rant over - normal service will resume with tonight's dinner.

Just watched James Martin on SK comparing gochujang chilli paste to harissa. I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Didn't have steak in the end, made carbonara which is now my go-to meal when I'm too lazy to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we are having a "finger dinner", BBQ rack of ribs and chicken wings - deep fried wings, and oven cooked wings.

Pic of the rib from my phone. No photo of wings.

337188.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Enchiladas here. Haven't had them before. Delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

heldel00 wrote: »
    Enchiladas here.

Snap! I copied you it seems :)

We went to an en...ada workshop this evening :) Made enchiladas, enchiladas verde, enmoladas (mole) and entomatadas (tomato based sauce). SO GOOD. I'm so, so, so stuffed. Dublin C&R'rs who fancy something a little different for dinner on Saturday nights, Picado Mexican Pantry does fab workshops where you eat what you've made/watched being made after. I'm going to eat salsa verde till I explode this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Now here's a question for ya? Enchilada sauce?
    Husband came home with a prepacked box (tortillas and sauce). Didn't like to feck it in the bin and break his little heart(was actually very tasty as a once off), but would like to make my own sauce the next time. Any ideas from your workshop?
    First time we ever had them and consistency of sauce was like a passata so maybe that as a base? There was a distinctive taste that I'd like to have if I made my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

What we made would be pretty different to what's in those kits (and not baked) but I'll check with the nice lady whose recipe it is and stick it up in the Random Recipe thread if she doesn't mind (we came away with a recipe booklet as part of the workshop so would rather not share it without asking first).

I think if I was trying to recreate the old el paso kits I'd use a carton of passata and either a sachet of fajita seasoning (LOVE that stuff) or a mix of cumin, chili powder, salt/possibly aromat & garlic powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Early sunday dinner because I'm on my own today. Had fresh pasta with prawns, mussels and squid. Cooked in white wine, chilli and garlic, with some garlic bread. The fish was amazing, went out to howth this morning to get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

heldel00 wrote: »
    Now here's a question for ya? Enchilada sauce?
    Husband came home with a prepacked box (tortillas and sauce). Didn't like to feck it in the bin and break his little heart(was actually very tasty as a once off), but would like to make my own sauce the next time. Any ideas from your workshop?
    First time we ever had them and consistency of sauce was like a passata so maybe that as a base? There was a distinctive taste that I'd like to have if I made my own.

I've been using this one for years and it's really good - the only difference I make is to add garlic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72426657&postcount=6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Cooking Club Blow Out!!!!

Pulled pork, apple coleslaw, baps with beetroot and cottage cheese salad and a slab of crackling.

F1145047-2807-4A8B-B2AA-8DDE826B2671_zps5s0juam6.jpg

Followed by Almond and Berry Cake.

AE3D57F8-1C1C-43C5-B9AC-514EFCC2592E_zpstcllvr27.jpg

Great eating but dreading the clean up! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement