Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made chicken roulades with sage, extra-creamy mash and carrots fried in butter. It was really yum!

dipdip wrote: »
    Well done 5unflower. :)

A trick for getting a nice dark colour on the outside of your steak is to heat the pan until it's really really hot before adding the meat.

And leaving it there for a few minutes (resist the urge to turn it over)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dinner was bunless burger topped with melted cheddar and sauteed onion, baked sweet potato, homemade slaw and gravy from last week's roast chicken dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

(If you believe it or not this was my first time ever cooking steak )
    Well done 5unflower.

A trick for getting a nice dark colour on the outside of your steak is to heat the pan until it's really really hot before adding the meat.
    Loire wrote: »
    And leaving it there for a few minutes (resist the urge to turn it over)

And oil the steak not the pan, season it too before going on the hot pan.

Another tip is to get the meat out of the fridge a good 30 minutes in advance so it gets to near room temperature - this gives a nice even cooking of the steak.

Oh and don't forget this

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Dinner was a 10oz burger with cheese and bacon in Oscars in Smithfield last night with twice fried chips and glass of merlot. Tres bien for 20quid total!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Lasagna last night with tonnes of red wine put it in. Delicious.

Then some upside down chocolate orange cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Dinner last night was roast baby potatoes, pork and beef meatballs (thanks to Faith's thread for the idea! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pang wrote: »

Then some upside down chocolate orange cake.

MMMM would you have the recipe for this? Apologies if it's off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I used the Chilli Beef Noodles recipe from the Cooking Club to make Pork Veg Delicious. I highly, highly recommend this recipe, absolutely gorgeous.

IMAG1430_zps91d39a55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mr. Merkin made a thoroughly scrumptious cassoulet this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I attempted sushi tonight, fresh wild salmon and hake. It's a surprise I didn't eat all the salmon before I got it into the rolls :)

u554.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

A bit of simple comfort food this evening. Roast chicken, roast potatoes, buttery carrot and parsnip mash and gravy from the juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made Patatas Bravas with Chorizo tonight. Also made Aioli for the first time. Was absolutely amazing. Easy enough to do too. Plus I have enough left for lunch tomorrow. :)

290177.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Made Patatas Bravas with Chorizo tonight. Also made Aioli for the first time. Was absolutely amazing. Easy enough to do too. Plus I have enough left for lunch tomorrow. :)

Beautiful - aioli recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dipdip wrote: »
    Beautiful - aioli recipe please?

I just wung it tbh. (Is wung a word?)

I had a look online for a few different recipes but in the end I just put a whole egg into the mini chopper that I have a long with a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a bit of lemon juice. Then I added some regular olive oil and blitzed the hell out of it, adding a bit of extra virgin olive oil at the end. Once done I added a clove of crushed garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Had dinner in The Taphouse in Ranelagh this evening. We got the pulled pork (soz, beer!) tacos, chili prawns, chicken wings and sweet potato chips.

The chips were unreal, as were the wings. Tacos were pretty good. Prawns were total meh.

Washed down with Franny Well Rebel Red and followed by mixed berry compote, which was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken, chickpea and lemon casserole, it was lovely, had a great North African feel to it.

Hake fried in butter with butter, herb and lemon juice sauce. Plonked on a mound of mash with roasted cherry tomatoes on the side. No vino though :eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Went out for dinner yesterday afternoon, I had roast fillet of hare with chestnut puree to start; wild rabbit hotpot with mash, creamed spinach and greens for main; a lemon meringue pie for dessert. Fleurie and port to drink. Cheese & biscuits. Didn't need food for a further 24 hours.

Minder wrote: »
    Went out for dinner yesterday afternoon, I had roast fillet of hare with chestnut puree to start; wild rabbit hotpot with mash, creamed spinach and greens for main; a lemon meringue pie for dessert. Fleurie and port to drink. Cheese & biscuits. Didn't need food for a further 24 hours.

That'll put a spring in your step :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

On Tuesday night I had:
    Salmon Tartare on a Rosti
    Clear Tomato Soup
    Fillet of Turbot with Potato and Celery Puree
    Ribeye Steak with Asparagus
    Ice Cream

The last time I ate a fish dinner was fish fingers as a child. Eating a fish dinner was one of my New Year's Resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Goan Chicken Curry with brown rice and Indian Flatbreads

42914AA1-CDE9-4801-9BA1-8DD4D5F60E6B_zpskzh9fvj2.jpg

Pancakes (again!) from the Cooking Club. All happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I love market thursdays. Fresh clams cooked in a white wine, garlic, cream and bacon sauce. Tomorrow is squid:D (I can never clean them without ink going everywhere though, sink shall be black for a week after it:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night I had wings made with Ass Blaster hot sauce. I used only 2 tsp with some melted butter. That was all. They were super but very, very hot.

TMI maybe... It took exactly 15 hours for me to realise why the sauce is called what it is. Ouch! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A messy fish finger sandwich type affair. Sole goujons, cheese, lettuce, tomatoe, diced jalapenos & a sauce of mayo, sour cream & chipotle adobo in a pitta

bc62e311-3a8b-4c18-971b-024ced89e8b0_zps7028ae1e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was tuscan duck ragu with mafaldine pasta and pangritata made from the duck skin. Ragu recipe closely followed Jolivers recipe from Jamie & Jimmy's Fridat night feast. The one with Sienna Miller. Crackin dish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Minder wrote: »
    Hare ? Rabbit ? that explains no wildlife on Bull Island today !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I had five fish fingers for dinner.

One of *those* evenings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I'm leaving work next week, and we usually have a one a month lunch club, so we decided to go for dinner instead.

Starter: serrano jamon, melon, almond cream, witlof, rose oil
    Main: lamb rib eye, zucchini flower, green peas, polenta panisse, romesco, salad of herbs
    Cocktail: Vodka, grapefruit juice, vanilla syrup, lemon & a dash of egg white

Delish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement