Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

+1! Used to make it all the time using Pataks paste but haven't been able to source it in a few years. I don't like the sauce you get with it from takeaway, just like the dry dish and serve with raita

Me too! When aldi do their Indian event they always have pataks sauce so I buy it by the cartload!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

+1! Used to make it all the time using Pataks paste but haven't been able to source it in a few years. I don't like the sauce you get with it from takeaway, just like the dry dish and serve with raita

Same here. I don't think Pataks make that paste any more. I was in an Asian supermarket today and saw a huge range of Pataks, but no biryani. I suppose you could make it with another paste, such as madras. The main thing is to fry the onions, add the rice and fry for a bit, add your paste, meat, and stock/water and bung it in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I used to make it a little differently - fry onions, then add meat. Add paste, fry off for a few minutes, remove from heat and add natural yoghurt then add the rice and heat through. Must check Aldi next time! I've seen it on Amazon recently and been tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh I love biryani. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure - I use the Patak's biryani paste. You can still buy it in the Asian market on Drury St in Dublin.

Heavy saucepan - one glug of oil - get the oil hot and add a chopped onion, green pepper and some chicken. Add biryani paste (I use a quarter of a jar for dinner for two) and stir well. Add half a cup of basmati rice, 1 cup of water and as many mushrooms as you like. Stir everything together, bring to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 15 mins. Don't stir it - just leave it alone and have a cup of tea.

After 15 mins, turn the heat off. I put some broccoli in on top of the rice at this point (no need to stir), put the lid back on and then let it steam for another 20 mins. Then it's ready to serve.

I love it as it's so easy to fling together after a day at work. (Also very delicious)

PS This serves 2 adults

I used to make it a little differently - fry onions, then add meat. Add paste, fry off for a few minutes, remove from heat and add natural yoghurt then add the rice and heat through. Must check Aldi next time! I've seen it on Amazon recently and been tempted
    Do you mean cooked rice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fridge clearer. Diced potatoes, onions, chorizo, pork chop & a poached egg. And a little manchego and then a little gruyere I found all by its lonesome. All (bar egg) dumped in a single oven dish. Shouldn't have let the manchego melt as it utterly lost its cheesy mojo but apart from that I have both thumbs up.

EYwwucJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chicken with ramen noodles. The first batch of dashi was very bitter, not sure what I did to make it so, but after messing about with it for nearly thirty minutes to try and correct it, I ditched the broth and made a new one from scratch. Kitchen looked like I'd made a three course meal for six by the time we were eating.

6qJ3ww_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Chicken noodle soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Chorizo, Chickpea and Roasted Red Peppers.
    'Spanish' Meatballs.
    Patatas Bravas.
    Chicken Wings w/ Lemon, Garlic & Cumin.

That looks amazing J Mysterio!!

• Advertisement

Curry Addict's chicken rogan josh from the Cooking Club. Very hot and very delicious.

rogan%20josh_zpsrfl94br4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Good woman, hmc!

Tonight is baked salmon, roast sweet potato chips, and salad.

IMG_20150225_183142_zpszzw9hrvn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Pasta with smoked bacon, mushrooms, pesto and Creme fraiche, very satisfying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken, sweet potato fries and corn on the cob.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

o0DMzMN.jpg

Tonight I had this baked salmon steak with grated ginger,garlic,honey,lemon & dill on top of a mixed salad w/ baby tomatoes, mozzarella, mixed nuts and a light balsamic/olive oil vinaigrette. Wasn't really in the mood for cooking but the little bit of effort was worth it in the end :)

Roast chicken fillets, mash & steamed broccoli tossed in lemon juice & the caramelised chickeny bits from the roasting dish. My boyfriend is weaning me onto the occasional 'traditional' weeknight dinner rather than my standard 'throw things in a pan, add chili, slop onto plate or eat out of pan' dinner.

WzZKQAv.jpg

Then we had tea and a couple of squares of dark chocolate with sea salt that we picked up from Hazel Mountain Chocolate on a recent trip to Clare. It made my mouth happy. Not particularly salty but just so very chocolate+++

Roasted butternut squash with mushrooms, smoked bacon, rocket & parmesan.

Chilli con veg on a bed of courgette 'spaghetti', with feta, coriander and squeeze of lime.

IMG_20150226_182708_zpsq8sy0xlw.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken curry with rice and saag aloo. I took photos before I served it because these days once the dinner's on the plate I forget.

swftxc.jpg

ehxg6d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made the Spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup from the Cooking Club with some adjustments, added ****ake and chestnut mushrooms, used banana shallots and used an eye watering amount of garlic and it was DEEELISH. Shall be making it again as those flavours do it for me every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Hairy Bikers chili as a favour for my dad who loves it. had my hands full with baby though so threw it all in the slow cooker at lunch time during her nap and it was delicious this evening

Went out for for pizza-and-a-pint deal last night. I had a 'Billy Jean King' (mozzarella, spinach, wild mushrooms, tomato and an egg) and he had a 'Conor McGregor' (mozzarella, salami, chorizo). If any C&R'rs find themselves in Phibsborough the Back Page gets my piggy seal of approval for excellent pizza. Oink oink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Went out for for pizza-and-a-pint deal last night. I had a 'Billy Jean King' (mozzarella, spinach, wild mushrooms, tomato and an egg) and he had a 'Conor McGregor' (mozzarella, salami, chorizo). If any C&R'rs find themselves in Phibsborough the Back Page gets my piggy seal of approval for excellent pizza. Oink oink.

Was there a few weeks back and loved the menu but we'd already eaten, must head back for food soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I found two Napolina pizza bases in the cupboard and as I wasn't in the mood of making a big dinner, figured I'd make pizzas.

Made my own tomato sauce, spread that on, added sliced mushrooms, red onions, green and red peppers, torn ham, grated cheese, sweetcorn and jalapenos.
    Very tasty! :)

Duck leg confit, roast sweet potato chips, a salad of spinach, peas & crumbled feta.

IMG_20150227_191909_zpsuwvij9ql.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is confit a lot of work to do at home?

Faith wrote: »
    Is confit a lot of work to do at home?

You've got to ask Mr Silver Hill about that :)

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    You've got to ask Mr Silver Hill about that :)

Not much work at all. Just a long cooking time. I made it last year, you just roast the legs in duck/goose fat for ages., as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Confit duck needs low heat and long time. Temperature should be around 80c.

Dinner for one as Mrs Minder had a night out with the girls. Spare ribs with garlic, soy sauce, 5 spice and spring onions. Stir fried baby bok choi with shiitake shrooms and noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was deep fried spicy chicken wings and BBQ ribs.

Tonight we'll have a guest so I am doing roast chicken breasts on the bone, steamed potatoes, vegetables, and gravy.

Already some of those eating are worrying that the breasts won't be cooked within an hour, and will instead take two hours to cook. Two hours to cook chicken breasts on the bone. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement