Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Last night was deep fried spicy chicken wings and BBQ ribs.

Tonight we'll have a guest so I am doing roast chicken breasts on the bone, steamed potatoes, vegetables, and gravy.

Already some of those eating are worrying that the breasts won't be cooked within an hour, and will instead take two hours to cook. Two hours to cook chicken breasts on the bone. :rolleyes:

My mother in law cooks them for 90 minutes and puts the broccoli on at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Last night was deep fried spicy chicken wings and BBQ ribs.

Tonight we'll have a guest so I am doing roast chicken breasts on the bone, steamed potatoes, vegetables, and gravy.

Already some of those eating are worrying that the breasts won't be cooked within an hour, and will instead take two hours to cook. Two hours to cook chicken breasts on the bone. :rolleyes:

You should put their ones on for the two hours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! made Jamie Oliver's Herb and Parmesan Crusted Cod with spinich salad and steamed spuds. Bit burnt under the grill but it was delish. :)

2C71856B-78B1-4D88-A626-1BBCC8E17F43_zpsizxy2bwx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Chicken and chorizo quesadilla. Nom

yZ2acSs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Went to Yo Sushi! last night. Hadn't been in about 10 years since it was Aya's.

I had Miso soup, chicken teriyaki, vegetable tempura and a sliced beef that was so rare it seemed like it was wafted over a candle! Still tasted great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hummus, crackers and some charcuterie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Made good ol spaghetti and meatballs in a rich homemade tomato sauce. Run of the mill you say? Oh no! I decided mid cooking to add pieces of black pudding. Mother! Savage. The pudding stayed soft and moist and added a nice element of spice to the sauce also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

livinsane wrote: »
    Made good ol spaghetti and meatballs in a rich homemade tomato sauce. Run of the mill you say? Oh no! I decided mid cooking to add pieces of black pudding. Mother! Savage. The pudding stayed soft and moist and added a nice element of spice to the sauce also.

Big pieces or sort of crumbled in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I was a very lucky duck who got to spend the weekend at Aghadoe Heights in Killarney. The food was just dee-licious.

Friday night was fish and chips for me - simple dish but so fresh and tasty. The chips were homemade and twice-cooked :)

Saturday night was fillet of beef (rare) with a port wine jus, mushrooms, creamy mash and roasted mediterranean veg. Also delicious and followed by ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Courgette and Carrot 'noodles' coconut chicken curry laksa, with baby spinach, beansprouts, basil, red chilli, coriander, spring onion and a squeeze of lime. Delicious in so many levels.

IMG_20150301_190831_zpsjer7rmyp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'm hungover so needed something quick and easy. Steak, sweet potato mash and cheese cauliflower. Had to have gravy cause I'd no pepper sauce. It was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Courgette and Carrot 'noodles' coconut chicken curry laksa, with baby spinach, beansprouts, basil, red chilli, coriander, spring onion and a squeeze of lime. Delicious in so many levels.

Mrs fox please give me this recipe I have never pleaded for one before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Roast chicken leg, butternut squash, potatoes. Red wine, whiskey, baileys!

roast%20chicken_zpspyy791nj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Yesterday I did some new dishes. I've owned a set of 3 Chinese clay-pots for years but never used them. After a brief scrub and a long soak in fresh water, the pot was ready to use.

I made a chicken and rice dish following a Gordon Ramsay recipe that said to cook the dish in the oven (using a casserole dish instead of a clay-pot). Anyway after a lot of faffing about I had a pot full of chicken, raw rice and hot stock in the oven. 30 minutes later I had exactly the same - chicken, raw rice and hot stock. So i resorted to the gas burner. Results were good but a little salty from the marinades.

Had some lamb neck fillets. Marinated in kecap manis, ginger and garlic paste. Fried to colour then simmered in a coconut stock infused with lemongrass, chilli and galangal for 3 hours until they were tender enough to cut with a spoon.

Lastly, I braised some park choi and finished with a little soy sauce.

7kV4H6_thumb.jpg

Need more clay-pot recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This bacon & leek risotto (with a cheese swap cos I was out of parmesan but did have a poor, lonely chunk of comte knocking around) with this lemon chicken (but with lots less garlic because my garlic was in rag order. Furry blue bum & lots of sprouts.)

All was very tasty but just as I went to make risotto I opened a tub of chicken stock that had been in the fridge for a while longer than I remembered and I found a new appetite suppressant. Oh that smell will linger for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mmmmm Comte, love it.

We had an Eddie Rockets delivery this evening and I'd say they're all talking about us since. We had burgers, chips AND wings. :o

On a low carb thing from tomorrow though for a few weeks so it was like the last supper and a golden opportunity to make an absolute pig of myself.

Washed down with prosecco.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Had an Aldi "Simply Bistro" ready meal today as I was super busy- Their Tandoori Chicken with Bombay potatoes...My stomach is churning since I ate it! It wasn't the best at all. I don't think I am actually able to eat ready meals- I always feel eugh after them.

Much more excited about tomorrow. I have one of four portions of homemade chili (with a generous bit of smoked paprika) defrosting!

gjc wrote: »
    Mrs fox please give me this recipe I have never pleaded for one before!!!

It's very similar to the cooking club's spicy Thai noodle soup. The only thing I REALLY took time with was making the stock. I had made a fairly strong chicken stock for flavour (from 3 backbones + 6 wing tips, 1 onion, 2 garlic, a thumbsize of ginger, 1tsp black peppercorn, 1 bay leaf + 1 ltr water, boil medium for 2.5 hours until liquid reduced to about less than half, rest overnight, and and boil again the next day before sieving). Once this is ready everything else is just a matter of minutes.
    I put the stock back on a medium boil, added 1 tbsp mild Madras curry powder, 1/4tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tin coconut milk, a splash of fish sauce for seasoning, a splash of tamari (or soy sauce) while I prepped the rest.
    Into a serving bowl I grated 1/2 courgette and 1/2 small carrot into long strips of noodles, added a small handful of baby spinach (pak choi would've been my choice but I didn't have any), slices of cooked chicken. Bring the broth to a high heat boil for a few seconds before ladelling in the bowl and quickly top it with a handful of beansprouts, chopped chilli, coriander, basil + spring onion. And a squeeze of lime before tucking in.
    This was only for one serving. I'm sure you can divide the broth into two portions but I love mine very soupy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ricotta and spinach tortellini with a sundried tomato pesto and cream sauce, and a salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Friday evening I popped into my local fish shop - they had a deal on whole salmon for 9.99. As I go there often the guy behind the counter offered to cut it up into cutlets....9 cutlets for a tenner! We had salmon cutlets on Friday night! The rest are in the freezer to do the kids.

Saturday lunchtime was carbonara..I tend to make this most Saturdays. Fresh pasta from a place next to the English Market with lardons, beaten egg and cheese...it's yummy.

Venison steaks Sat night with roast potatoes...pretty impressed with myself for being able to conjure this up as I had been in the pub for the rugby

Yesterday was sloppy lasagne. Had the meat in the slow cooker and managed to make the bechemal at 1/2 during the rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

katydid wrote: »
    Big pieces or sort of crumbled in?

Little chunks.

Vegetarian Chilli as mentioned it this thread.

340599.jpg

Roast chicken leg in garlic tomato and basil sauce, with salad.

IMG_20150302_190851_zpsgtquy0ce.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Red enchiladas. Warm corn tortillas stuffed with chicken, diced feta and onion. Topped with a red chili salsa (made of guajillo & cascobel chilis, black peppercorns, clove, salt & Mexican oregano), fried diced carrots & potatoes, a drizzle of sour cream and a little more feta. Delicious and have lots of extra salsa for more enchiladas tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast Sea Bream on a bed of thinly sliced potato and fennel, with saffron, toasted pinenuts, tomato and parsley. Steamed broccoli for a bit of greenery.

7qDHUu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Curry Addict's chicken korma with broccoli and basmati rice. Ridiculously, outrageously good. It was one of those dinners where I was genuinely sad when I was finished eating because there was none left.

korma_zpskkplwwcc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Just had ma Tilly's stew. Perfect for a night like tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pork Burger with Apple Coleslaw and fried potatoes.

F8D2C0B6-D3FF-4107-AC4F-B781C237EE5B_zpsriob2evy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

We had pork chops and two very different opinions on what to do so Mr Polydactyl had barbecue glazed chops with sweet potato mash (am I the only one who hates this??)

I went for stuffed baked chops with my first ever Rosti. Made for a very delicious if beige dinner.

o56kxh.jpg

• Advertisement

Home made Chilli Nachos. :)

340809.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement