Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Ours was a very plain dinner, but was tasty. Steamed smoked coley with homemade black pudding (by my neighbour) with mash and white sauce with smoked lardons. I used the some of the liquor from the smoked coley in the white sauce. Poor picture but tasty dinner.

27wyu5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

katydid wrote: »
    How do you people find time on a working day to do this stuff? Fair play to you, but it makes me feel so inadequate...mine was quickly thrown together chilli nachos.

It wasn't a huge effort, to be fair but we did eat quite late. It was more about waiting for the birds to cook. The rice noodle rolls are ready made and take a few minutes to steam. The greens also take just a few minutes to pan fry with a little garlic, then steam with a splash of water and a lid on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I had smoked coley too Cofy! Just with parsley sauce, veg and mash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I do I do, we used The Dumpling Sister's potsticker's recipe :) The pork mix took about 10 minutes to prep and then maybe half an hour/40 mins filling & frying/steaming. We're not particularly fast at it though. Oh - and we bought the wrappers frozen and did not make them, that would be a step to far for lazy me.

I use the Cooking With Dog recipe from YouTube, but that one looks good. Definitely buying the wrappers is the way to go!

Did any of yours actually make it to the table? Mine never seem to last long enough to get out of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some prawns chopped into that dumpling recipe would be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Sorry posted in wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Made a few of the Gyoza today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

A super easy Friday dinner: salmon and pasta with cream, parmesan, black pepper and garlic.

Happy belly is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Crispy skin roast duck in a gem lettuce cup along with carrot, quinoa, cucumber, spring onion and hoisin.

IMG_20150306_190800_zpszvlu6jy2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cumberland sausages with colcannon and onion gravy.

akxzzp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm liking those Brioche burger buns aldi are selling these days

7pQjRsfl.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Crispy skin roast duck in a gem lettuce cup along with carrot, quinoa, cucumber, spring onion and hoisin.

Have you imported a pallet of gem lettuce that you can't sell?

Have you imported a pallet of gem lettuce that you can't sell?

More like prescribed by the doctor.

Where have you been? Every time I pass by the supermarket aisle and see a pack of polenta I think of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Homemade pizza with chorizo, feta, Mozerella and basil.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    More like prescribed by the doctor.

Where have you been? Every time I pass by the supermarket aisle and see a pack of polenta I think of you.

Just been very busy.

Does gem lettuce have particular health benefits over orher leaves?

Just been very busy.

Dunno really, just told to eat more greens. And there I was thinking my (almost) daily dosage of peas would sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Have started using baby spinich instead of gem lettuce in Ceaser Salads etc believing it to be more nutritious for you. Am I wrong?

As I said, been kinda busy lately so not too much time for cooking and less for posting. But there have been some meals and pics:rolleyes:

Last night was rare ribeyes with roast butternut squash and cabbage with lemon, ginger and chicken stock.

5MM3jp.jpg

From the last week or two:

Free range glazed ham , mash, cabbage and parsley sauce.

65469x.jpg

And another one that got snapped:

Italian herb sausages, mash with leeks, fennel with orange and butter, asparagus and onion gravy.

4VyZzQ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Have started using baby spinich instead of gem lettuce in Ceaser Salads etc believing it to be more nutritious for you. Am I wrong?

Spinach is full of iron, antioxidants and loads of other good stuff. Definitely better than gem lettuce.

Made fish pie yesterday and it was delicious. Made double as well so more to look forward to later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I usually cook Mon - Fri as my husband works longer hours, so he cooks on weekends and tonight he outdid himself (while I lounged on the couch drinking wine). Salmon burgers, wilted garlicky spinach with mushrooms, homemade oven chips with dips - sriracha mayo and homemade tartare sauce. Served with a lovely Pinot Noir and a cycling documentary.

fishcakes%20and%20chips_zpsppkc6nkj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Blackened jalapeno mac & cheese. We made a pasta-in-chili-cheese-sauce dish a few weeks ago that I loved but my boyfriend wasn't 100% sold on the tomatoes in. So this was an experiment to find a middle ground :) Really lovely, big fan of green chili & cheese. Only problem is I have a pretty intense head cold at the minute so I had to get my seasonings checked by other people :) Will make again, next time with more jalapenos (used too few for the amount of sauce I made). We have a lot of sauce left over so will bake some chicken breasts in it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

We made quesadillas, with sweet potato, cheese, red onion, mushrooms and chorizo. They were yum! Himself made up some guacamole too.

Can never get pictures to turn out as well as you guys have though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

A (hastily-taken)photo of last night's dinner: Harissa spiced shoulder of lamb, pomegrante & orange salad, and cous cous:

d477517d-3ad7-425e-9a16-305e9827af35.jpg

Last night was takeaway Tandoori chicken with quinoa I made the night before. Not the best tandoori, pity.

Back cooking in earnest this weekend.

BBQ prawns with olive oil, garlic, chilli and lemon to start.

Dark, sticky, sweet Asian pork hock with kai-lan and jasmine rice.

4PXy84.jpg

7UKT9t.jpg

5CYRHM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Back cooking in earnest this weekend.

BBQ prawns with olive oil, garlic, chilli and lemon to start.

Dark, sticky, sweet Asian pork hock with kai-lan and jasmine rice.

That pork hock looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Sticky fruity chicken

dy3Gbuk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Slow braised beef cheeks in rich gravy, served with creamy mash and garlicky spinach. I can't believe I got this far in life without realising how amazing beef cheeks are (and they are so cheap!). We are already planning on getting more next weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement