Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Slow braised beef cheeks in rich gravy, served with creamy mash and garlicky spinach. I can't believe I got this far in life without realising how amazing beef cheeks are (and they are so cheap!). We are already planning on getting more next weekend.

I can't find them in any butcher here in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I ran my first ever ten mile race in ballycotton today.

Dinner was a brown bag comprising chicken goujons, chips, and a bonus free sausage because the chipper was closing. And a pint. Delicious balance of flavours, 10/10

Must add, beef cheeks are phenomenal! Had them at my brothers wedding last year and addicted since

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well done, pampootie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had divine Kassler from O'Flynns in Cork which was served with roast veg and potatoes and gravy. The gravy was a bit intense but was in a rush so didn't dilute more.

For dessert I made Nigella Chocolate Bacon Brownies. Really nice although next time I would use 60% chocolate rather than 70% and would keep the bacon bits bigger. Also I would only make half the amount as there are loads leftover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Chocolate and bacon? Jeepers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I finally got around to roasting one of my pieces of venison yesterday. As we were spending the day doing a spring clean of the shed etc I didn't have time to do anything special with it. I just browned it and popped it into the oven for an hour . As we had to go out I just turned off the oven before we left and hoped for the best. Well, it turned out perfectly medium - rare. Deliciously gamey (much more so that the venison steaks I usually get). Plenty for dinner again tonight and probably for lunch tomorrow. The season is now over, but I still have the larger joint in the freezer!

Had these with organic potatoes from Tesco, which were really good and some good ole carrots!

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Lurker rather than poster here but really enjoy the thread. Just had to let you know that the rib roast on the bone in Aldi has to be the best roast beef ever. Had it for dinner yesterday and everyone raved about it, much better than a standard roast beef. It carved like butter and though it seemed a little fatty it was truly sumptuous. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Confit duck leg. Butterbeans with roast red and yellow peppers, garlic, marjoram, olive oil and lemon juice. Fennel with orange and butter. Roast leeks.

7AinS9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

J Mysterio wrote: »

I had to try it when I saw the recipe. It turned out really lovely though. I guess it a bit like salted chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Inspired by the thread about tsatsiki, I made (fake) cevapcici, with spicy couscous, lashings of fresh tsatsiki and some ayvar for good measure. Finished off with some Turkish jalapenos and accompanied by a pita.

Edit : Not sure why the attachment displays the picture upside down...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Away from home this week with work.

The food is good, deep fried goats cheese with what I think was pickled beetroot as a starter for dinner, followed by fillet of salmon with a lemon sauce scallion mash and buttered green veg.

Roll on breakfast, I'm hoping there's watermelon

No weirder than maple syrup and bacon, that the Yanks eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Saturday night was our first batch of pulled pork, had it with rolls and beetroot and Apple salad.

Tonight we had nachos made with leftover pork.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm gonna be rolling home from this hotel

Had the goats cheese again followed by a massive portion of pork belly with carrots and celeriac mash

I need to find where to buy pickled beetroot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Stheno wrote: »
    I need to find where to buy pickled beetroot

Eh... Any supermarket?

Eh... Any supermarket?

Are you talking about the foul sharp tasting vinegary stuff?

That's not what I'm after, the stuff I'd had the last two nights has a very mild colour and has been pickled in something sweet

That's not what I'm after, the stuff I'd had the last two nights has a very mild colour and has been pickled in something sweet

Very easy to grow beetroot and make it pickled beetroot yourself. That's what we do; lots of spices, bay leaves etc. in the pickling mix. Or buy the cooked beets in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Some evenings my talent for self indulgence really rears its head.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

Well, I spotted fresh, raw beetroots in Aldi 2 days ago, and I'm sure there's a few good pickling recipes out there. Let us know how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roast sweet potatoes, courgettes, chorizo & chicken with feta crumbled through. On my way to work with a box of leftovers. Deliberately did not bring a fork so I couldn't start eating it on the bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Homemade burgers last night with buckets of melted cheese. After browning them on the first side I turned them over, reduced the heat and covered them with the lid (it's kinda roundy!) of an old pot. This kept the burgers really moist and they were great. Served that with a mixed leaf salad and coleslaw. The salad was nice as the dressing I use from my mother never fails, but the supermarket-bought coleslaw wasn't the best - way too much mayo - must make my own.

So, in a nutshell, the first salad-of-sorts was served up and I now declare winter to be over (despite it lashing outside!).

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, I spotted fresh, raw beetroots in Aldi 2 days ago, and I'm sure there's a few good pickling recipes out there. Let us know how it goes :)

My guess is if it was sweet and mild, it was cooked beetroot, not of the pickled variety. Tesco, Aldi and Lidl all have it in vacuum-packed plastic. They're the full, round vegetables, so watch out because the liquid goes *everywhere*.

uberalex wrote: »
    My guess is if it was sweet and mild, it was cooked beetroot, not of the pickled variety. Tesco, Aldi and Lidl all have it in vacuum-packed plastic. They're the full, round vegetables, so watch out because the liquid goes *everywhere*.

Not necessarily, they may just have been pickled in a different ways.
    Pickles back home in Germany, for example, would tend to be more sweet and far less vinegary than pickles here, so maybe the beetroots had been done in that way?
    I find pickles here usually overpoweringly vinegary as well, and tend to buy them in Polish shops where they're milder and sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Slow braised beef cheeks in rich gravy, served with creamy mash and garlicky spinach. I can't believe I got this far in life without realising how amazing beef cheeks are (and they are so cheap!). We are already planning on getting more next weekend.

Are beef cheeks part is the cows face?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Are beef cheeks part is the cows face?

That is correct.
    If you want the other 'cheeks' - ask your butcher for Silverside. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Shenshen wrote: »
    Not necessarily, they may just have been pickled in a different ways.
    Pickles back home in Germany, for example, would tend to be more sweet and far less vinegary than pickles here, so maybe the beetroots had been done in that way?
    I find pickles here usually overpoweringly vinegary as well, and tend to buy them in Polish shops where they're milder and sweeter.

You're absolutely right. Even the different pickles in Tesco, some of the own-brand ones are quite sweet. The Chef one is especially hard with white vinegar, but so is their ketchup and a lot of their products seem to be.

I was suggesting it as a likely possibility, not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Spinach and feta pie with filo pastry. Very lovely, if a tad salty.

spinach%20feta%20pie_zpsu0x4oxqz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Lamb meatballs with Turkish spice, sweet potato chips, and salad.

IMG_20150311_200234_zpsvcyoa7b3.jpg

Lovely, creamy mushroom stroganoff and tagliatelle.

Lots of cornichons and silverskin onions in the brandy and sour cream sauce, topped with roasted almonds for extra crunch. Perfect 1970s food. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Lamb meatballs with Turkish spice, sweet potato chips, and salad.

I'm salivating at the look of your sweet potatoes. Please tell me how to get them like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement