Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm salivating at the look of your sweet potatoes. Please tell me how to get them like that?

I cut them into chips with skin on, coat with some smoked paprika, a tbsp melted coconut oil & sea salt. Spread on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 200℃ for about 25-30 minutes, shaking it half way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night we had hotdogs wrapped in bacon & then wrapped in dough with chorizo & cheese and baked into hand held dinner. It was v. good if *slightly* bad for my heart. I hate to say this, it's such a betrayal of all I hold dear, but I think the bacon was unnecessary in the finished product :( I'm a bad person.

The little bits of cheese that escaped the dough and crisped up were very, very much necessary though!

SiWBT59.png
    FvCf4Mo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I cut them into chips with skin on, coat with some smoked paprika, a tbsp melted coconut oil & sea salt. Spread on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 200℃ for about 25-30 minutes, shaking it half way through.
    Mine just turn so mush :(

Tilly wrote: »
    Mine just turn so mush :(

I find that when coated with other oils such as olive or veg base, they char and wrinkle the chips a bit with a mushy texture. Not that I mind them, still very tasty to me. Coconut oil seems to hold their shapes better and gives a non greasy finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

As it is we cut them into slices, and they take 35 minutes to oven bake. so cutting them bigger I assume would take longer, but might give it a go as yours look so delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Chicken & chorizo risotto with leeks, peas and feta.

risotto_zpsmbuqsbkr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Haven't had them in decades - rissoles!

F9F3B8E3-5ED9-4800-A826-85F6B060A0CD_zpsmtw6xdbl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Roast rack of lamb, chilli & mint couscous, homemade hummus, warm flatbreads, harissa yoghurt, rocket dressed with lemon & olive oil, and roast peppers stuffed with taleggio... All with a delicious glass of red wine

(Not usual Thursday night fare but I passed my PhD viva so decided to treat myself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Congratulations, and your dinner looks delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Gloomtasic, here in Wexford, you would be shot for suggesting you use meat in a rissole. In Dublin, I was reared on them that way

Gloomtasic, here in Wexford, you would be shot for suggesting you use meat in a rissole. In Dublin, I was reared on them that way
    ??? What are you meant to use in them? Meat all the way in our house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I had to google rissole, I had never heard of them before. Wexford gets it's own mention in wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rissole

cofy wrote: »
    I had to google rissole, I had never heard of them before. Wexford gets it's own mention in wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rissole
    "especially in the county of Wexford, where boiled potatoes are mashed, mixed with herbs and spices, battered or breadcrumbed, and served with chips"

NO! Just NO! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"especially in the county of Wexford, where boiled potatoes are mashed, mixed with herbs and spices, battered or breadcrumbed, and served with chips"

That's a potato pie or even a croquet.
    Rissoles must have some sort of meat in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Breaded or Battered?

Wexford Town chippers are different: they serve a local delicacy called the Wexford Rissole - a combination of old chips, old cooking oil, herbs and bread or batter.

People think they've been around since the dinosaurs but, Shane Dunphy, has discovered that they only arrived in the town, from Britain, after The Emergency.

They're the ideal Irish comfort food but there's a tragic tale in their history.

Although they're venerated, people aren't afraid to experiment - the latest creation is a 'haute cuisine' Wexford Rissole.

As for the 'breaded or battered'? You can't have both - you have to get off the fence and decide quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My mum's had 1/2 meat, 1/2 mash potato/onion. Delia's, that I did last night, had no potatoes.

But serving mash potatoes with chips is just mean!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Breaded or Battered?

Wexford Town chippers are different: they serve a local delicacy called the Wexford Rissole - a combination of old chips, old cooking oil, herbs and bread or batter.

People think they've been around since the dinosaurs but, Shane Dunphy, has discovered that they only arrived in the town, from Britain, after The Emergency.

They're the ideal Irish comfort food but there's a tragic tale in their history.

Although they're venerated, people aren't afraid to experiment - the latest creation is a 'haute cuisine' Wexford Rissole.

As for the 'breaded or battered'? You can't have both - you have to get off the fence and decide quickly.

Some say Mr Grace himself of the Bride Street Chipper invented the Rissole, made from Potato and Herbs and rolled in breadcrumbs, before other chippers took it to the "batter" stage, they are still made now and can be bought in Tesco by a company called Jimmys Kitchen, and delicious they are too !!

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/willie-grace-will-be-missed-by-many-27661043.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Incorrect, not a Wexford Rissole with meat, pure potato and herbs and breadcrumbs !

• Advertisement

This is like the big paella debate of 2014 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Breaded or Battered?

That sounds revolting

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The chips in Wexford are different though:P Any trip to that end of the country has to include a trip to the Premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

I must be the only Wexford person who thinks they are awful and I will eat almost anything!

Boned and rolled chicken, roast turmeric jerusalem artichoke chips, steamed tenderstem broccoli + peas.

IMG_20150313_185301_zpsgupxeqgy.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

How can you have a rissole without meat??

Out for dinner tonight. I had chicken supreme on pesto mash. It was so tasty. Washed down with a few strawberry daqueries :)

katydid wrote: »
    How can you have a rissole without meat??

I'm a Dub, but my sons were born and reared in Wexford. I always had meat rissoles as a kid, but my lads never believed such a thing existed. I sent a link of this thread to one of them and got this reply

"I'll never accept the meat rissole, even if the whole world is against me"

Strange kid :)

I'm a Dub, but my sons were born and reared in Wexford. I always had meat rissoles as a kid, but my lads never believed such a thing existed. I sent a link of this thread to one of them and got this reply

"I'll never accept the meat rissole, even if the whole world is against me"

Strange kid :)
    my brother was born in Wexford. Do you call your kids yellow bellies like we call my bro? No. Just us so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sweet and Sour chicken with rice.
    I usually make my own from scratch but didn't have time so picked up a jar of Aldi Sweet and Sour sauce for 79c.
    Seriously impressed; lots of crunchy veg and a lovely flavour. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement