Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We're having my folks over tonight for a fancy Mother's Day meal (yes I know we are a day early :))

This is dessert - dark chocolate mousse with raspberries and cream. I used the nice whiskey glasses we got in Midleton and am very pleased with how neatly they turned out!

mousse_zps9slblatm.jpg

Aeriel view:

mousse2_zpsqjceqirs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Saturdays are now officially slow cooker day in our house.

I tried a bean cassoulet with quorn sausage and am pleased to report that the first try was an absolute and undisputed success. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I just got a slow cooker, yesterday I did a chicken in it and was very pleased with the results. With the Spring in the air and the hope of some nice days ahead I hope to get great use from the slow cooker.

jue1dw.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

cofy wrote: »
    I just got a slow cooker, yesterday I did a chicken in it and was very pleased with the results. With the Spring in the air and the hope of some nice days ahead I hope to get great use from the slow cooker.

How did you get your chicken so brown and yummy looking? Mine comes out very anaemic. Mind you, I don't do anything to it, just lob it in, no water or anything, and leave it in all day. I just shred the lovely moist result and use it for salads, pies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Son's birthday sleepover tonight so cooked a mound of chicken goujons. My wife says no matter how many you make, they'll finish the lot so I wanted to see if she was right. Isn't she always! ;)

C0F6EA53-951E-4A58-A819-D34DDB25FF03_zpsf1fnxejg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

katydid wrote: »
    How did you get your chicken so brown and yummy looking? Mine comes out very anaemic. Mind you, I don't do anything to it, just lob it in, no water or anything, and leave it in all day. I just shred the lovely moist result and use it for salads, pies etc.

I used a rub:
    2 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 tsp Thyme
    1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1/4 tsp Black Pepper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

cofy wrote: »
    I used a rub:
    2 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 tsp Thyme
    1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1/4 tsp Black Pepper
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A big bowl of Mammy's stew that she made specially for me. Best Mammy ever.

ETA: I take it back, the stingy bitch kept all the kidneys for herself :mad:

Another first attempt - baked stuffed cauliflower and potatoes boulangere.
    Both will need a bit of tweaking next time, but not bad overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Shenshen wrote: »
    Another first attempt - baked stuffed cauliflower and potatoes boulangere.
    Both will need a bit of tweaking next time, but not bad overall.

What did you stuff the cauliflower with? Potato looks scrumptious.

• Advertisement

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What did you stuff the cauliflower with? Potato looks scrumptious.

Mushrooms - I don't know the English word for this type of mushroom, and google won't tell me either. They're called "Stockschwaemmchen" in German, I found a packet of frozen ones in a Polish shop not too long ago.

I'm thinking next time I'll not only stuff the cauliflower but will sit it on top of more of those mushrooms when baking, they go together really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Large roast chicken yesterday with stuffing. I think I've perfected my roast chicken now. Best part was when I removed the chicken, I poured some of the hot liquid into my tray of roast potatoes and fried them up on the hob. The stuffing was really good as the Sage in my herb garden is showing signs of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shenshen wrote: »
    Mushrooms - I don't know the English word for this type of mushroom, and google won't tell me either. They're called "Stockschwaemmchen" in German, I found a packet of frozen ones in a Polish shop not too long ago.

Its always funny how Germans poke around in Polish shops... There's so many things very similar but disappointingly different!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Its always funny how Germans poke around in Polish shops... There's so many things very similar but disappointingly different!

They're a godsend!!!

Where else would I get fresh dill, quark, fresh yeast and decent breadcrumbs? :D

I was thinking herring, wurst and sauerkraut. lol.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I was thinking herring, wurst and sauerkraut. lol.

Never tried those - I'm vegetarian, and have never been a fan of sauerkraut. Is that very different from the German versions, then?

Ah, slightly different is all... Polish equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was Buffalo wings for us.
    Served with carrot, Jerusalem artichoke, apple and ginger slaw and crusty sourdough bread.

8aCM74.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Finally got to try the beef short ribs from Lidl tonight, they were delicious.

Had them with roasted veg and wedges, so everything flung into the oven and left be till done :) (the OH could even "cook" this)

Twas good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Made whiting fillets en papiote tonight, local fish counter had no whole trouts unfortunately, whiting was delicious nonetheless.

Served with hassleback potatoes and steamed broccoli.

• Advertisement

http://omg.wthax.org/7HUwuC.jpg

Had the mother in law over for dinner on Sunday and made nevin maguire's leg of lamb. The stuffing was incredible.

Had some of the lamb for lunch today on a roll & cheese & coleslaw. No photos as it was devoured, was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

tfak85 wrote: »
    Made whiting fillets en papiote tonight, local fish counter had no whole trouts unfortunately, whiting was delicious nonetheless.

Served with hassleback potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Definitely giving these a go either today or tomorrow. Maybe as a snack today and for dinner tomorrow.

Slow cooker Spag Bol today whilst we were at the parade. Came home and made a bechemal and assembled a lasagne. Left it a bit too long as I prefer it a bit sloppy by very good nonetheless. The main reason was that I made the tomato sauce using a proper Italian tin of tomatoes. For anyone in Cork, Aygo do these...they're 1.5kg so I've made heaps. Lasagne for lunch so tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did a slow roasted rib of beef with peas, roast spuds, carrots & parsnips. I made my MIL's gravy with its super sekrit ingredient. Awesome meal, & plenty of beef for tomorrow's sambos.

I made my MIL's gravy with its super sekrit ingredient

Tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A dollop of YR sauce. Ssshhhhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Made monkfish for myself and the girlfriend, delighted with how it turned out.

7eGgUk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Shepherd's Pie. Nom.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yesterday I cooked a roast chicken and a fillet of ham with a honey/mustard glaze. We had roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, apple sauce, white sauce and gravy.
    Now I don't know what day it is, after a midweek bank holiday with a Sunday dinner :p

• Advertisement

Yesterday I cooked a roast chicken and a fillet of ham with a honey/mustard glaze. We had roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, apple sauce, white sauce and gravy.
    Now I don't know what day it is, after a midweek bank holiday with a Sunday dinner :p

Are you sure you didn't jump into your Delorean, reach 88mph and go back to Dec 25th? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement