Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Creamy leek, bacon and walnut pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Where was that, hussey? Looks amazing.

In the spirit of the thread... we'd homemade pizza: one margherita (http://i.imgur.com/8iSP1gc.jpg) and one with chorizo, chilli flakes and a small bit of red onion (no pic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I had five fish fingers for dinner.

One of *those* evenings!

I had chips and sausages. I am telling myself that it is because I am trying to empty the freezer in the spirit of saving money. But to be honest I am lying to myself. it's because I just wanted chips and sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Animord wrote: »
    I had chips and sausages. I am telling myself that it is because I am trying to empty the freezer in the spirit of saving money. But to be honest I am lying to myself. it's because I just wanted chips and sausages.

And there's nothing wrong with that! ;)

I had a slightly too spicy shepherds pie last night courtesy of my mum - I still ate it though! There's still some left over so I'd better tell her not to waste it and give it to me again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

I stirfried chicken and veg in a penang curry paste, added some coconut milk and some "straight to wok" rice noodles. A quick and easy bowl of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We had chili last night. I had opened a carton of adobo earlier in the week just to see what it tasted like (was a serious impulse purchase, went into the shop to buy paneer, came out with no money and a bag of random Mexican sauces & ingredients) and needed to do *something* with it so into a chili it went. It's nice and vinegary and hot so it worked well I thought!

I love this photo because it looks exactly like what chili looked like when I was a kid eating it at home when chili was was mainly made of tomato puree, kidney beans and a sprinkle of Schwartz Mild Chili Powder (from a refill bag, we never used enough chili powder for it to get a jar on the 'spice rack' [read - one jar of oregano, one jar of mixed herbs, one jar of allspice of indeterminate age)

17184.jpg

The orange cheese & ring o'rice in particular gives me happy flashbacks.

d094e0d0-1088-4a53-a9f3-bbb4c8156d5e_zpsfa6c36fe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I picked up Tesco Pizza Base Mix for 79c the other day and thought I'd do a pizza at some stage.

Made one tonight and I was very impressed.
    I'm really not great at rolling out dough but even though this turned out a bit misshapen, it was absolutely delicious.

I can't eat the frozen/take-away pizzas because the oil makes me feel sick.
    I made my own tomato sauce (tinned tomatoes, garlic, onion, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, sugar, balsamic vinegar) and topped it with yellow pepper, red pepper, red onion, mushrooms, torn up ham and grated cheese.

A winner!

iy1nrb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lennox chipper tonight. It's a bit of a legend in Cork and certainly lived up to it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Loire wrote: »
    Lennox chipper tonight. It's a bit of a legend in Cork and certainly lived up to it tonight!

I still remember my first Lennox's feed. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship that lasted throughout my college years... Good times. Good times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Loire wrote: »

On the contrary here, after a few early pints (celebrating the 1:1 I got for my MSc, woo!), we were craving takeaway. KCs don't deliver and Chinese food is loaded with sugar, so we got fried chicken from Dinos. It was horrible :(. The batter was inedible because it was so salty. Chips were alright, but I'd never eat from there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A damn tasty spaghetti carbonara.

With a big glass of milk because culchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Faith wrote: »
    On the contrary here, after a few early pints (celebrating the 1:1 I got for my MSc, woo!), we were craving takeaway. KCs don't deliver and Chinese food is loaded with sugar, so we got fried chicken from Dinos. It was horrible :(. The batter was inedible because it was so salty. Chips were alright, but I'd never eat from there again.

Well done on the masters faith! :)

Tonight I had dominos, I regret it, I always regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Last night was dessert only cause there had been quite a big, tasty burger for lunch :) The dessert was a blueberry coconut pudding:

199B85F192404958A752FA894702898E-0000353053-0003485160-00800L-CC1652C5429D4A95AF69B9F3E23A0201.jpg

Tonight then there was fish pie (with sliced potatoes on top instead of mash) with a side salad

54E18708FC3E47129DF51941BED2C89A-0000353053-0003485159-00800L-5BC9E51127584BBEA218D8F84355F873.jpg

And finished it of with chocolate lave cakes with ice-cream :-D

2452CB3D49F54DFDBCE5D4DB101B5B35-0000353053-0003485158-00800L-084A037C4B574E40B191F0EFBAD1A92F.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Steak and chips for us tonight :)

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Well done on the masters faith! :)

Tonight I had dominos, I regret it, I always regret it

Thank you!

I promptly regret every takeaway which isn't KCs (and I'm aware I talk about KCs a lot here, and I'm sorry for all you non-Cork folk who can't eat there!). I haven't enjoyed a Chinese takeaway in years now, I'd say!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Huge congratulations on the 1:1 Faith :)

Ohmygosh!!! Well done Faith! That's a stunning result! There must be cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Dinner in Pitt Bros. 'nuff said!

Ohmygosh!!! Well done Faith! That's a stunning result! There must be cake.

Still off sugar :(. Alcohol is still allowed though, so that will have to do instead :D

Still off sugar :(. Alcohol is still allowed though, so that will have to do instead :D

At least put something pretty in it! I can post you some cocktail umbrellas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night made Green roasted chicken legs, served with roasted brussel sprouts and spiced sweet potato fries.

Tonight I made lamb bhuna, much better than last week's attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Have a carrot cake - it is full of nourishing vegetables and so doesn't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Last night made Green roasted chicken legs
    Do tell more, please.

Do tell more, please.

It's from NomNomPaleo, the marinade really is phenomenal. I kept picking the crispy bits off the wire rack. Do marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours to overnight (best); an hour or two won't give enough time for the beautiful flavours to penetrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's from NomNomPaleo, the marinade really is phenomenal. I kept picking the crispy bits off the wire rack. Do marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours to overnight (best); an hour or two won't give enough time for the beautiful flavours to penetrate.

Looks great. What's an Aleppo pepper - chilli?

Looks great. What's an Aleppo pepper - chilli?

Apparently it's a middle eastern capsicum pepper, but can be replaced with paprika.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I picked up some hake on impulse yesterday, and Her Indoors transformed it into a fantastic Vietnamese fish stew.

viet-fish-stew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

So Thursday night dinner was bacon and cabbage my way. Which is basically the bacon diced and the veg diced or grated and layered in a pot and let simmer for a few hours. Delish and normally one pot which is brill but the kiddies requested mashed potato and fried eggs for dinner and being as they are sick I obliged to get something in their belly's so potatoes were done separate.

Last night was Uzbek rice pilaf with chicken as opposed to the traditional lamb or beef. It was simple and yummy.

Tonight is Ukrainian Borscht as requested by my 6 year old (or beetroot soup as she calls it). Lots of veg to chop but worth it.

For tomorrow Ive pepper steak in the slow cooker and there will be left overs too so no cooking on Sunday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb stew for us tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My curry obsession continues, though I haven't had one since Sunday!

Tonight I'm doing home-made chicken Jalfrezi, with garlic and coriander naan bread and boiled rice, all washed down with a few glasses of cold Sauvignon Blanc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement