Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

yellow hen wrote: »
    Looks beautiful. I would love that right now!

I have more for tomorrow. Dinner is at 5. Bring dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Friday night was curry night : Red lentil dahl, aloo tikki, mango chutney, pilau rice and poppadums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

beertons wrote: »
    I have more for tomorrow. Dinner is at 5. Bring dessert.

Tiramisu alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Shenshen wrote: »
    Friday night was curry night : Red lentil dahl, aloo tikki, mango chutney, pilau rice and poppadums.

I can only assume that is for a group of people - that is huge!!

Tonight we had a pastrami party - a friend of ours came back from New York with 2kg of pastrami and a hankering for booze. We invited a bunch of people up for a session... we boiled the meat for 3 hours then steamed it, served it in slices with rye bread, several types of mustard and pickles, swiss cheese and coleslaw. Also lots of Danny Trejo movies, beer and red wine. Good combinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I can only assume that is for a group of people - that is huge!!

Tonight we had a pastrami party - a friend of ours came back from New York with 2kg of pastrami and a hankering for booze. We invited a bunch of people up for a session... we boiled the meat for 3 hours then steamed it, served it in slices with rye bread, several types of mustard and pickles, swiss cheese and coleslaw. Also lots of Danny Trejo movies, beer and red wine. Good combinations.

Id like to be your friend and be invited to pastrami parties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Yesterday afternoon I put a chilli in the slow cooker so we could have an easy dinner today. Twas a mix of beef & pork mince with lots of peppers, onions, chipotle, cocoa powder, beef stock & tomatoes. We ate it today in a great big bowl with nachos, guacamole, sour cream & melted cheese. This could genuinely be the best dinner I've had this year.

nachos_zps7oexnxxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Honey soy chicken with sweet potato chips and salad.

IMG_20150322_183034_zpsuk311468.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As I'm currently sniffling, snorting, hacking and coughing my way through my 4th cold this season, I made Minestrone.

Big, steaming pot of comfort and sunshine. Tasted like a hug.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had pork steak, potato cubes with shallots and roasted tomatoes & peppers.

154cc49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night I had Hill Billy's :
    I do this with racks of pork ribs. Night 1 - grill the entire rack & have half the ribs with a salad. Night 2 - separate remaining ribs & pop them in a pot with some stock, either miso paste or Thai curry paste - sometimes both, along with a few split chillis, finely sliced ginger & julienned bamboo shoots.

I'd simmer for 30 mins, remove the ribs & take the meat from the bones, shred the meat & then put it back in with soy sauce & the juice of a lime. To serve, I ladle the broth over noodles & then pile on shredded scallions & fresh coriander & chillis.

It was as good as it sounds - amazing. We both couldn't get enough of it, polishing off the extras I made for today's lunch.

Hill Billy, time to name this bad boy!

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

2 types of chicken wings (franks/buffalo & sriracha), fried potatoes with cheese & spring onions & some bread. At least that was what was supposed to happen. When bringing the dish of sriracha wings into the room (and it was the biggest dish of wings!!) I caught the sleeve of my shirt on the door handle and flung them into the air. So we had a scabby sized dinner, there's a large dish of fluffy, dog hair covered sriracha wings sitting in the kitchen laughing at me and now I have to clean hot sauce out of the carpet. I am ill tempered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Penne with hot smoked salmon, cream and Parmesan. Very simple and very delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Loire wrote: »

It was as good as it sounds - amazing. We both couldn't get enough of it, polishing off the extras I made for today's lunch.

Loire.
    tHB's Twice-cooked Pork Hot & Sour Soup? Glad you liked it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

First BBQ of the year this evening.

Fresh lamb cheese burgers.

My own lamb burgers topped with smoked goats cheese and green tomato relish between chunks of ciabatta.

Washed mine down with a couple of bottles of Five Lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

2 types of chicken wings (franks/buffalo & sriracha), fried potatoes with cheese & spring onions & some bread. At least that was what was supposed to happen. When bringing the dish of sriracha wings into the room (and it was the biggest dish of wings!!) I caught the sleeve of my shirt on the door handle and flung them into the air. So we had a scabby sized dinner, there's a large dish of fluffy, dog hair covered sriracha wings sitting in the kitchen laughing at me and now I have to clean hot sauce out of the carpet. I am ill tempered.

I feel your pain!

We went on a chicken wing hunt this afternoon, walking along Clontarf Road checking every restaurant if they served them. The Yacht, which used to serve really really hot ones, was only serving stupid carvery. :(

Finished up in Clontarf Castle where their 'hot and spicy' wings were neither hot nor spicy! :(

Damn you Sweetman's and your damned near perfect wings! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Are sweetmans wings good? The Thai fire wings in the porterhouse central are very hot wings, so himself tells me.

Tonight we had ostrich steaks from lidl, with a topping of fried chorizo, onion and mushroom, and sweet potato chips coated in paprika.

Feckin delicious! highly recommend the ostrich to anyone who was thinking about them. Will be picking up some more tomorrow.

Someone recommended paprika for the sweet potato chips a while back and to cook them in coconut oil, didn't get the coconut oil but think we might. Really want to get them crispy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a late dinner today of fresh-made bread, walnut cheese spread, oak smoked brie, mortadella, bresola, salami, and serrano ham. Yum.

photo_zpstxenuwj6.jpg

Gongoozler wrote: »

Someone recommended paprika for the sweet potato chips a while back and to cook them in coconut oil, didn't get the coconut oil but think we might. Really want to get them crispy!

That was me. Coconut oil doesn't make them crispy; however it makes the chips retain a firm shape and won't go mush. Plus, a faint hint of coconut goes well with sweet potato in my opinion.
    I found this method of guaranteed crispy oven baked sweet potato chips that might be useful to you. I've yet to try it. Let me know how you get on.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    That was me. Coconut oil doesn't make them crispy; however it makes the chips retain a firm shape and won't go mush. Plus, a faint hint of coconut goes well with sweet potato in my opinion.
    I found this method of guaranteed crispy oven baked sweet potato chips that might be useful to you. I've yet to try it. Let me know how you get on.

The blog mentions using starch. Never heard of it, let alone used it. Anyone here got any recommendations on what to use and where to get it.....

The blog mentions using starch. Never heard of it, let alone used it. Anyone here got any recommendations on what to use and where to get it.....

Corn flour, potato flour...
    I believe the sweet potato chips at Eddie Rockets have starch coating resulting the crispy bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cornflour should be easy to get. Rice flour and tapioca flour are available in oriental supermarkets. Don't recall ever seeing brown rice flour, but white rice flour is usually what is available in chinese supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

You'll get most of these flours in the gf section, supervalu and dunnes tend to be better stocked than tesco.

Cool, thanks guys. I have cornflour and rice flour already......

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I visited my Indian friends and they made me dosa. So very tasty!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Loire wrote: »

I do this with racks of pork ribs. Night 1 - grill the entire rack & have half the ribs with a salad. Night 2 - separate remaining ribs & pop them in a pot with some stock, either miso paste or Thai curry paste - sometimes both, along with a few split chillis, finely sliced ginger & julienned bamboo shoots.

I'd simmer for 30 mins, remove the ribs & take the meat from the bones, shred the meat & then put it back in with soy sauce & the juice of a lime. To serve, I ladle the broth over noodles & then pile on shredded scallions & fresh coriander & chillis.

Loire.

Loire - I mean to say that I am delighted that you managed to make this given the vagueness of the 'recipe'. That really is my kind of cooking - taking a concept for a dish, & having a shot at it based on one's own skills & tastes. Respect! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Loire - I mean to say that I am delighted that you managed to make this given the vagueness of the 'recipe'. That really is my kind of cooking - taking a concept for a dish, & having a shot at it based on one's own skills & tastes. Respect! :)

I surprised myself to be honest as I'm usually paint-by-numbers! I left out shredding in chili at the end as I added some harissa paste at the start to help fry off the ginger & chili.

Thanks again!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dibkins wrote: »
    I visited my Indian friends and they made me dosa. So very tasty!

Jealous. I've been trying to make dosa but can't quite get it right. Looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beef cheeks stewed with tomato red wine and herbs.
    Served with roast butternut squash and a green salad after.
    Oh, how I love the cheeks:D

72Khmy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I made a boatload of chicken and broccoli bake for the week, albeit accidentally because I tipped too much pasta into the pot :o

I've never made it before, I just sort of threw it together with pesto, garlic, creme fraiche and mozzarella. A tasty, comforting, handy dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Blanched green beans, broccoli and flash fried with mushrooms, soy sauce chilli and honey with cauliflower rice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement