Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Almost a disaster tonight. Our au pair had eaten most of the leftover chicken I had kept in the fridge for tonight's dinner. I had planned having Hill Billys twice-cooked pork Chicken thai dish (as I made lots of sauce the last time I cooked this) but the chicken was gone!

Luckily, I keep frozen portions of a yummmy Jamie recipe for pasta sauce in the freezer. De-frosted this, mixed into to hot, cooked pasta and topped with grated cheese and most of all....tearings of prosciutto. It was good.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner tonight was crab and prawn gumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oxtail and barley stew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Chicken & chorizo rice bake from the cooking club. Never fails me!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

Made a lamb casserole for dinner this evening (one of my mums old recipes).. topped it with mash and browned them off once the stock had reduced. Needless to say, yum!

85m5nX7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Dinner tonight was crab and prawn gumbo.

I'd love the recipe, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Pan fried hake wrapped in streaky bacon with roasted baby potatoes and a grape fruit rocket salad. Simple but really tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

My bestest ever spaghetti bolognese, absolutely delicious. I haven't cooked a proper meal in ages though, must try harder :/

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I made mussels last night for the first time ever. And not only that, but I picked them myself the day before! You can see that they're still covered in barnacles (cleaned about 10 of them before deciding it was too much effort :D)

Steamed them with garlic, shallots, white wine and stock.

nDRLcgn.jpg

nWSyK3e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I made mussels last night for the first time ever. And not only that, but I picked them myself the day before! You can see that they're still covered in barnacles (cleaned about 10 of them before deciding it was too much effort :D)

Steamed them with garlic, shallots, white wine and stock.

Don't wish to panic you but did you pick them from a designated safe area? :eek:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Water/WaterQuality/ShellfishWaterDirective/ShellfishWatersFinalCharacterisationReportsandPRPs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Smoked mackerel, chorizo, tomatoes and potato - all fried up. Yummy
    DSC_0221_zpswiclwxop.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I'd love the recipe, please.

I used this recipe although I reduced the quantities and already had a chicken stock from a garlic roast chicken. Also made a prawn stock from the shellfish.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-and-crab-gumbo

I used this recipe although I reduced the quantities and already had a chicken stock from a garlic roast chicken. Also made a prawn stock from the shellfish.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-and-crab-gumbo

Did you manage to use file powder? I know they sell them online. Would it make a lot of difference without it? As some recipes say to just use okra and it's fine.

Used okra. I had the idea to make it as I had the okra, chicken stock and prawns in the fridge already. Also managed to pick up 4 pots of crab meat from a Costco. I've used the file powder from Seasoned Pioneers before, its an either or choice, I think using both makes it a little too thick.

Used okra. I had the idea to make it as I had the okra, chicken stock and prawns in the fridge already. Also managed to pick up 4 pots of crab meat from a Costco. I've used the file powder from Seasoned Pioneers before, its an either or choice, I think using both makes it a little too thick.

So it's just a thickening agent rather than adding a peculiar flavour? Good stuff. Love okra.

Tonight was chicken again. It's been chicken all week/month. I might look like one by the end of the week. *cluck*

IMG_20150324_193044_zpsy2pc23g9.jpg

File powder is supposed to have a flavour but I couldn't tell you what it is. Any time i've used it, it was swamped by the other strong flavours. Okra all the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Slow cooker chicken tikka, tasted a little off but I refuse to let the two leftover portions gone in the freezer go to waste

IMG_1023.jpg

EITS wrote: »
    Slow cooker chicken tikka, tasted a little off but I refuse to let the two leftover portions gone in the freezer go to waste

They say that when you cook curries in a slow cooker, you should freshen up the spices towards the end, as the slow cooking process dulls them. I don't know, I've never tried them in the slow cooker because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

katydid wrote: »
    They say that when you cook curries in a slow cooker, you should freshen up the spices towards the end, as the slow cooking process dulls them. I don't know, I've never tried them in the slow cooker because of this.

Must try that next time, did add some extra paprika, tumeric and garam marsala towards the end.

• Advertisement

EITS wrote: »
    Must try that next time, did add some extra paprika, tumeric and garam marsala towards the end.

Sounds like you did the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Chipper for us last night! Lennox in Cork - chicken burger & chips with an ice-cold Peroni. Magic!

Not chicken.

IMG_20150325_184523_zpsfhh2vmix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Baby still sick here so serious lack of groceries so tonight was bacon wrapped stuffed sausages and onion rings. Beige but delicious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

polydactyl wrote: »
    Baby still sick here so serious lack of groceries so tonight was bacon wrapped stuffed sausages and onion rings. Beige but delicious!

You do well to get any food into you when you have a sick baby in the house. Hope he or she is better soon.

We had chicken, chorizo and chickpea stew tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Fillet steak, fondant potatoes and roast carrots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Couple from this week and slightly off the norm...

Beef heart stew, cooked on the solid fuel cooker all day ay the back do the meat was lovely and tender.
    LhWut9Pl.jpg

And heart stir fry, thin strips marinaded overnight in soy, sherry vinegar, chilli, honey and garlic.

JIi7VExl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

potato gratin and Ikea's meatballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

@Kvov

Are organs nice in a stir fry? I once tried liver, but it was horrific.

Anyway, I made a Pork Belly stir fry. All I can say is, DAYUM! That was tasty. I'd love to link a picture, but Boards isn't letting me :(

And, as I have very little money at the moment, it was cheap as can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Kovu wrote: »
    Couple from this week and slightly off the norm...

Beef heart stew, cooked on the solid fuel cooker all day ay the back do the meat was lovely and tender.

And heart stir fry, thin strips marinaded overnight in soy, sherry vinegar, chilli, honey and garlic.

Thanks for the ideas, I like new ways to get offal into my diet (so cheap and delicious).

Last night was roast chicken, fried potatoes, and peas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement