Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kovu - Awesome!

That is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are organs nice in a stir fry? I once tried liver, but it was horrific.
    Kidneys are lovely in stir fry.

I've never had liver that I liked. My mum told me that it's because I've never had liver cooked properly, and she didn't like it when I pointed out that I've only ever had liver cooked by her!

Heart tastes a bit like liver, but less strong and with a better texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've used liver before , but overcooked it. Bleugh.

As it was marinaded so long there wasn't a massively strong flavour off it but I literally just flash fried it in the pan as it would be like eating rubber otherwise. Even at that, the heat of the veg on top continued to cook some of the meat at the bottom of the plate so were a little tough when I got to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

oRAKOfh.jpg?1

Sticky chicken, rice and broad beans (my favourite)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

tfak85 wrote: »

I can't seem to find broad beans in supermarkets. Where did you get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Do you just boil the broad beans? OH finds them very strong, can only have them in soups etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Mrs Fox wrote: »

I grow my own. The only way of getting them apart from the yukky ones in tins

katydid wrote: »
    I grow my own. The only way of getting them apart from the yukky ones in tins

I never buy the ones in tins. But I can't seem to find frozen one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've gotten frozen broad beans in Marks & Spencer before. Admittedly at least 2 years ago but they did have them

I'm fairly sure M&S do.

Anyone know where I can get frozen edamamme?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure M&S do.

Anyone know where I can get frozen edamamme?

Asia Market, Drury St if you're in Dublin

Got two little packets of fresh ones in Marks for 1.90, they have such a short season. I've found frozen ones in Eurasia on Fonthill Rd before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

My local Supervalu (Grange, Cork) has bags of frozen broad beans.

Got two little packets of fresh ones in Marks for 1.90, they have such a short season. I've found frozen ones in Eurasia on Fonthill Rd before too.

Oh, never thought of looking there. Thanks, will head down to fonthill soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

My local Supervalu (Grange, Cork) has bags of frozen broad beans.

I must try my local Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Evening. Tonight and last night the same thing. Off on holliers tomorrow and cleaning out the fridge. A leek, the last of the Ikea burgers, some Philadelphia and for yesterday only, wilted wild garlic leaves. Worked a treat.

MissFlitworth, you mentioned Fallon and Byrne a page or two a go. I went in last Saturday for the Elerberry Cordial and was looking for a little 100ml bottle. The recipe calls for 2 tbsp only. Anyway, I gave up and asked a girl that worked there, so I was directed to the right rack. 750ml. Like a bottle of wine. Nice shape on the bottle,btw. And nice taste, before I've come down with vicious cold. Where my head feels blocked, but is running like crazy. Not ideal with a very long Lufthansa flight tomorrow. Be grand. Atchoo!!!!

I deserve this all to myself after a looooooong hard day. Gluten-free pizza gamberetti from the local Italian. So good.

IMG_20150328_175535_zpswbsqirn5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No pic but we had large mushrooms marinated in balsamic and Worcestershire sauce and fried with a pot on top of them to compress them to about 1cm thick. Very nice - an excellent meat substitute.

gfMrzcB.jpg?1

MV8ZrWe.jpg?1

Got home from 13 hour shift to find that my OH had made proper ramen from scratch, from our new Japanese Soul Food cookbook, almost as tasty as what we had in Japan on hols but nothing will ever really compare! Second pic is himself polishing his bowl off properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Many Polish shops keep (mature) frozen broad beans

• Advertisement

Ham hock and chips. Lovely, lovely chips.

DIY Taco Saturday. Carnitas, salsa verde, tomato salsa (I need to buy some actual bowls and retire my Mother Hubbards mug from 'tableware'), feta, cheddar and a range of crunchy vegetables, not-quite-pickled-yet-but-turned-out-to-be-my-favourite-part-of-the-meal onions and corn tortillas. Also, behold my 'tortilla warmer' aka 2-tea-towels-and-a-sheet-of-foil. Tortilla chips on the side of getting salsa directly into mouth. Was a very good meal. Felt very smug after because, for one of the first times ever, I managed to eat carnitas without having a portion so large I had the meat sweats.

O1I8pcx.jpg

tampopo wrote: »
    I've come down with vicious cold. Where my head feels blocked, but is running like crazy. Not ideal with a very long Lufthansa flight tomorrow. Be grand. Atchoo!!!!

Safe trip! And remember what I said about taking RAKES of photos of your meals in Japan and sharing them in the dinner thread! I plan on taking a tip vicariously through you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night we had pulled brisket chilli from the slow cooker.

343445.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No pic but we had large mushrooms marinated in balsamic and Worcestershire sauce and fried with a pot on top of them to compress them to about 1cm thick. Very nice - an excellent meat substitute.

You wouldn't have a recipe for that marinade, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gluten-free pizza gamberetti from the local Italian.

Is that in Dublin or where? Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Got home from 13 hour shift to find that my OH had made proper ramen from scratch, from our new Japanese Soul Food cookbook, almost as tasty as what we had in Japan on hols but nothing will ever really compare! Second pic is himself polishing his bowl off properly!

Looks fantastic. What are the ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sunday Roast. I can't move.

343477.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Made a lovely mushroom pie with a beer and onion gravy, in homemade suet pastry. With peas and chips, and the leftover beer. I managed to put a little too much pepper in the gravy, but other than that it was a full success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Last night was spinach and mushroom quiche with a sweet potato crust and a side salad.

Tonight is home made red curry with cauliflower rice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement