Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Had sweet potato chips tonight with my salmon en croute, peas and mash. (I wasn't sure if I'd like them, so I made mash too)

First time I'd done them, and I followed some advice here, coating them in cornflour before baking.

Not too impressed, to be honest. They were crispy enough, but too sweet. Tasted a bit like roasted butternut squash. I'll make them for dessert next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

katydid wrote: »
    Had sweet potato chips tonight with my salmon en croute, peas and mash. (I wasn't sure if I'd like them, so I made mash too)

First time I'd done them, and I followed some advice here, coating them in cornflour before baking.

Not too impressed, to be honest. They were crispy enough, but too sweet. Tasted a bit like roasted butternut squash. I'll make them for dessert next time.

They would be sweet, yes. I remember the first time I tried them, that really put me off as well, but they've seriously grown on me since.
    When I make sweet potato chips, I usually make sure to put a bit of chili and a good bit of salt in the cornflour, so they have a bit of a spicey coating. And I would then have some sour cream to dip them in - that works really well for me, the sweetness becomes one of many flavours, so it's not as overpowering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We had leftover carnitas stuff so tonight was a zero effort mixed bowl of yum with some Franks wedges.

GK6DKZY.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Shenshen wrote: »
    They would be sweet, yes. I remember the first time I tried them, that really put me off as well, but they've seriously grown on me since.
    When I make sweet potato chips, I usually make sure to put a bit of chili and a good bit of salt in the cornflour, so they have a bit of a spicey coating. And I would then have some sour cream to dip them in - that works really well for me, the sweetness becomes one of many flavours, so it's not as overpowering.

That's a good idea. I only used half of a large sweet potato, so I'll try that. I can't have too much salt, but chilli sounds a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Is that in Dublin or where? Looks great.

Da Mario in Celbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

fxotoole wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. What are the ingredients?

Mr. Tfak85 here..

1 small chicken - Take meat off the legs and take off the two breasts
    1 joint of pork on the bone - Shoulder is best, I used a rack of ribs and a couple of shoulder chops
    2 Cloves Garlic
    4 Scallions
    250ml Soy Sauce
    100ml Rice Wine/Mirin
    1 Small Carrot
    4 Eggs
    3 litres of water
    Good Quality Noodles/Black Pepper/ginger/Garlic/Nori leaves

Method:
    Broth
    - Place the chicken carcass, and pork into 3 litres of cold water with 2 peeled cloves of garlic and the small carrot.
    - Leave this to reduce for two hours - and any additional cooking is done using the steam off this pot

Soy Eggs
    - Boil the eggs - place a pinhole in the fat end of each one prior, makes them easier to peel, and spin them for the first couple of minutes with a chopstick to keep the yolk centred. Cool and peel
    - Place them in a marinade of the Soy, Mirin, 2 scallions, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, ginger and pepper - leave in the fridge until serving

Toppings
    - Remove the pork from the broth, shred the pork meat, throw the offcuts and bones back in the pot, Set meat aside
    - With about 20 minutes to go, place the chicken breasts and leg meat into a colander and steam over the cooking broth. Once this is cooked, cut it into pieces you could eat with a chop stick - thin slices is best
    - Prepare your noodles in a seperate pot of salted water

Serving
    - Remove eggs from marinade
    - Put a few tablespoons of the marinade into the shredded pork and stir
    - Strain the broth, discard everything that was in it
    - place remaining marinade into broth
    - Place the Chicken, Pork, Eggs carefully into the colander and steam to reheat them
    - Portion out the noodles into bowls on top of a Nori leaf - Fill with Broth and a halved egg, a couple of tablespoons of pork, and 5 or six slices of chicken. Garnish with freshly chopped scallion and sesame..

It sounds difficult, but is easy enough as long as you keep an eye on things.

There is a lot of meat, so I turned the remaining meat into a sticky saucy pulled pork thingy today..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Safe trip! And remember what I said about taking RAKES of photos of your meals in Japan and sharing them in the dinner thread! I plan on taking a tip vicariously through you :)

Arigato gozaimasu Miss Flitworth!
    I have two words for you though. Jet Lag!
    Good trip over, apart from ebola type symptoms of the head cold. Irish conditions first day. Wet and windy.
    If there was a book on the first meal, kylith would have won! Sukiyaki.
    single ring electric hotplate on the diningroom table. Several spoonfuls of sugar, soy sauce and some salt too. Away we go. Lots of thinly sliced beef, some kind of leek/scallions cut at 45 degrees. Which everyone knows makes them taste tastier. The beef was lovely, thinly sliced and individually packaged/wrapped in plastic.
    Oh yeah, and tofu. I`m delighted with myself for being able to lift the tofu from the pan by chopsticks, chop them in two and eat them!
    Also those long thin mushrooms. Don`t know what they`re called. Not a fan of the champignon as a rule.

Just had breakfast which was fit for a king. Four courses/servings. Gorgeous. Will sort out photos later today or tomorrow.
    This evening we`re going to look at the cherry blossoms by the river which I saw from the train on the way in from the airport. They have little festival tents all along the river bank with food in `em. That`s where we`ll eat...

t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Remember tampopo there is NO SUCH THING as too much Okonomiyaki! Especially as it comes in so many styles!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

tampopo wrote: »
    Arigato gozaimasu Miss Flitworth!
    I have two words for you though. Jet Lag!
    Good trip over, apart from ebola type symptoms of the head cold. Irish conditions first day. Wet and windy.
    If there was a book on the first meal, kylith would have won! Sukiyaki.
    single ring electric hotplate on the diningroom table. Several spoonfuls of sugar, soy sauce and some salt too. Away we go. Lots of thinly sliced beef, some kind of leek/scallions cut at 45 degrees. Which everyone knows makes them taste tastier. The beef was lovely, thinly sliced and individually packaged/wrapped in plastic.
    Oh yeah, and tofu. I`m delighted with myself for being able to lift the tofu from the pan by chopsticks, chop them in two and eat them!
    Also those long thin mushrooms. Don`t know what they`re called. Not a fan of the champignon as a rule.

Just had breakfast which was fit for a king. Four courses/servings. Gorgeous. Will sort out photos later today or tomorrow.
    This evening we`re going to look at the cherry blossoms by the river which I saw from the train on the way in from the airport. They have little festival tents all along the river bank with food in `em. That`s where we`ll eat...

t
    Probably Enoki mushrooms; long, thin, white ones. The only mushrooms my ex would eat, and then only in sukiyaki.

Bloody lovely stuff, that. I must get some of the thinly sliced beef and cook it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last Thursday's dinner was a Crab linguine with chili, baby plum toms, fennel, white wine

7BF5E6B9-5C66-4B6F-A32F-112EC027F9CC_zpsgnzgnzyy.jpg

I cooked in on Friday night...

Starter; Red onion marmalade, black pudding, goats cheese paprika tartlet

B9778F47-16F0-4623-A622-4D8BD13D2B01_zpsexkcmevy.jpg

Main: Ballycotton Bay Roasted Monkfish with a spicy chorizo ratatouille and potato stack

6B70EA3E-924D-43E1-B9E4-0F90A41F5E5E_zpsfhfxxo4g.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shenshen wrote: »
    You wouldn't have a recipe for that marinade, would you?

That pretty much IS the recipe LOL!

For 4 large flat mushrooms (the Aldi pack ones):
    2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp whatever herbs you're having.

Mix and pour into mushrooms with gills up. Recipe says to leave for 10 minutes, but I left them about half an hour as it takes a while for the marinade to penetrate down (and much of it still doesn't).

Put into a medium pan gill side down and put a heavy plate / pot with water on top. Cook for about 4 mins per side. You'll get lots of water out when the gill side is down - pour this off. Original recipe had them coated in breadcrumbs but that didn't work out at all. However the mushrooms themselves were great - considering having them with pepper sauce and chips some night!

edit: forgot to say rub the marinade all round the mushrooms before frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

In the end, there was a change of plan. We visited San Kei En park for the night time cherry blossom viewing.

http://justhungry.com/sakura-ohanami-cherry-blossoms-sankei-en-yokohama

third photo down and after (daytime views)

and after that we headed around the corner to a chinese restaurant for some...chinese, chinese style, i.e. four orders, each shared. Veg scallop, sweet and sour pork (the taste was sugar, soy sauce and vinegar-yesterday`s sukiyaki was sugar, soy sauce and sake.) and I ordered beef with green peppers. We also had fried noodles and soup noodles. Accompanied by Chinese sake. Too sweet, much too sweet and the usual tea.
    Dessert was that white gloopy coconut/almond jelly.

We`ll do the evening cherry blossom watch by the river tomorrow evening. It`ll be something like this, but at night and full of people and with lanterns and tents with food...
    http://blog-imgs-53.fc2.com/t/r/a/travelandfood/gumyoji3.jpg

gosh, if it`s like the next link, it will be fab
    https://41.media.tumblr.com/3a3dd1f804a807a40943891db8197ede/tumblr_mkj4jvJO991qb9r7fo1_r1_500.jpg

oyasumi...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Rib-eye steak with chimmichurri salsa and onion rings served with Heston's thrice-cooked chips.

07A959F8-B55B-44EC-8682-D87551060ADB_zpsxbbckcub.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Beef fajitas in a lettuce wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A really tasty chicken and chorizo pie with mash on top. No picture as its one of the ugliest things I've ever served up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was dinner for one last night so I defrosted a portion of leftover meatballs in tomato sauce, put them into a freshly baked baguette with grated cheddar and red onion and ate every bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I did a stirfry cooking course in the Cooks Academy on South William Street last night. I really enjoyed it. It was 2.5 hours long (although stretched to 3 hours, and seemed like longer). The first hour was the chef demonstrating the four dishes we'd cook, and then we all got to cook them ourselves individually. The four dishes were:

-Marinated prawns (soy sauce, chilli, ginger, garlic and finished with lime juice)
    -Fried tofu with stir-fried veg and noodles in a teriyaki sauce
    -Pork and sesame stir fry
    -Sauteed Asian veg with oyster sauce

At €70 it was great value for money, we all left absolutely stuffed and it really good fun. Hoping to do the sushi one next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I did a stirfry cooking course in the Cooks Academy on South William Street last night. I really enjoyed it. It was 2.5 hours long (although stretched to 3 hours, and seemed like longer). The first hour was the chef demonstrating the four dishes we'd cook, and then we all got to cook them ourselves individually. The four dishes were:

-Marinated prawns (soy sauce, chilli, ginger, garlic and finished with lime juice)
    -Fried tofu with stir-fried veg and noodles in a teriyaki sauce
    -Pork and sesame stir fry
    -Sauteed Asian veg with oyster sauce

At €70 it was great value for money, we all left absolutely stuffed and it really good fun. Hoping to do the sushi one next!
    This sounds awesome, i'm all over this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A dinner of 2 course last night, both of them low effort. Course 1, a very fancy bowl of chips in Wetherspoons accompanied by an amount of ketchup and mayo that had my dinner companion looking queasy. Course 2, chorizo & cheese scrambled eggs and toast.

Possibly try and get a vegetable that isn't a chip into me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Grilled Salmon with wholewheat pasta, grilled cherry toms and a buttload of salad.

I have an awful craving for buttercream :(

• Advertisement

Beef strips with broccoli, honey soy sauce on wilted spinach and wilted lettuce

Chicken curry puff pastry parcels with spiced potato bites and brocolli.

ADE3791B-303A-48BA-8BAA-C5F0655C2824_zpsq2zgbvhd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Chilli with one (okay two..) squares of 80% dark chocolate thrown in as it was simmering away, was lovely and rich without being too heavy. Have three big tubs leftover, at this rate my poor roommate won't have any room left in the freezer for his pizzas :o

IMG_1040.jpg

Pasta with a creamy mushroom sauce

Chorizo and spinach chilli with loads of veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Last night was my tastiest dinner in ages: fried very garlicky potatoes (garlic from a friend's garden), steamed peas and broccoli and Superquinn sossies. Crap pic though!

2hnmbrr.jpg

Tonight was fish fingers and ketchup in a crusty roll. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Gloom,those curry puffs look delicious. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
    I'm always looking for new things to cook.

Tonight we had steak (currently on offer at €8 for two big ones, from SuperValu), served with mini potatoes and green beans.
    Simple but delicious as I've not been well and not eating so it was very nice :)

fussyonion wrote: »
    Gloom,those curry puffs look delicious. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
    I'm always looking for new things to cook.

Tonight we had steak (currently on offer at €8 for two big ones, from SuperValu), served with mini potatoes and green beans.
    Simple but delicious as I've not been well and not eating so it was very nice :)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6461/chicken-curry-puff-pastry-parcels.aspx?o_is=Hub_TopRecipe_2

The filling goes really well on top of toast and baked potatoes. :)

I had what I'm calling a quesapizza: two wraps, toasted, and filled with red pesto, cheese, salami, and spinach. Delish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Last night was my first attempt at making a stir-fry with tamarind sauce. And I ended up using WAY too much tamarind - it was edible, but only just. If I had aimed at making a dipping sauce it would have been perfect, though.

Lesson learned, next time the tamarind goes in in very, very small portions with lots of tasing in between until it's just right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement